• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH Form Check

Drop into plant and wider swing look different.

Notice your arm is pretty rigid straight through the swing and your elbow is down entering the release.

Do the practice and real swing with the elbow leading the wrist and disc more directly toward the line of play like in the gif

Drop into plant and wider swing look different.

Notice your arm is pretty rigid straight through the swing and your elbow is down entering the release.

Do the practice and real swing with the elbow leading the wrist and disc more directly toward the line of play like in the gif

Ok I will give that a try. I played a round with my son this evening and the throws felt so much better it was amazing. Thanks again!

Better but shoulders are way too flat. Tilted Spiral.

Tried to get more tilted but I think I ended up just screwing a bunch of other things up. First swing was best of the bunch and then went downhill quick. I guess I need to do that practice swing every time.

I guess I need to do that practice swing every time.

:thmbup:

And ideally reduce the things you do between the practice swing and the throw, especially for now.

You are not balanced from head to foot into the crush and are still swinging out of leverage with your brace:

quce2Pi.png

Part of the problem is that your rear leg is not leveraging correctly in the backswing. This is apparently in the "top 5 most likely problems players have." It's screwing up your "shift from behind". You're not getting off the rear leg like a Hershyzer drill, and my understanding is that it's impossible to get an ideal shift that way.

You need to get drop and crush into you as forcefully as possible, but how can you get balance from leg to leg?

You need to get your body to drop what SW22 points out will feel like more "over top" of the leg and hip. You are likely going to need to stop trying to control all these variables at once and convince your body to act more like this:

david-ingram-krump.gif

FirsthandPettyDiamondbackrattlesnake-max-1mb.gif

Maybe you can attack it with a different motor idea and seeing it at a different angle with a different posture flow may help.

Try this move with the ball, then the disc.

And ideally reduce the things you do between the practice swing and the throw, especially for now.

And I think I need to be much more accurate in my practice swing since that seems to exactly translate into my actual swing more than I realize.

Maybe you can attack it with a different motor idea and seeing it at a different angle with a different posture flow may help.

Try this move with the ball, then the disc.

I'll give that a try, see if I can get it to click. Thanks!

I'll give that a try, see if I can get it to click.

Spent some time doing those drills with the ball and disc and I think I can understand how my lower body is supposed to move.

Went outside and recorded some throws from behind and I was able to clearly see what I think the issue may be.

I'm doing more of a shift->rotate instead of a shift->brace. I can feel it if I just do a slow motion swing indoors. It is very subtle kind of like the swing issue but I can see how that could drastically change things.

Going to keep working on this and see if I can figure it out.

And I think I need to be much more accurate in my practice swing since that seems to exactly translate into my actual swing more than I realize.

You don't see what people don't share. I have done thousands of practice swing reps and make frequent changes to my practice swing that are the same as the mechanics changes in my live swing over the last few months. Recently I started adding speed and momentum, including to the practice swings, but you need to get more initial mechanics in place before you worry about that part.

BTW: the reason you should make less space between the practice and live swings is that motor sequence breaks and hitches are a real thing. I'm still gaining muscle memory from doing practice OLD swings followed immediately by OLD throws in field sessions or on the course. Why? Minimum breaks between the sequences = immediate reinforcement and feedback when I feel the swing and see how the disc flies.

When I do my 2-steppers on the tee, I do the "walk it out" and minimize the things that happen between the practice swing at the top of the tee and the paces back. Every bit of it matters. You're always walking what feels like weird line between being loose and freeflowing, but precise and controlled. Then those start to become the same thing.

If my dumpy ass can do it, so can you. Hang in there.

Part of the problem is that your rear leg is not leveraging correctly in the backswing. This is apparently in the "top 5 most likely problems players have." It's screwing up your "shift from behind". You're not getting off the rear leg like a Hershyzer drill, and my understanding is that it's impossible to get an ideal shift that way.

You need to get drop and crush into you as forcefully as possible, but how can you get balance from leg to leg?

You need to get your body to drop what SW22 points out will feel like more "over top" of the leg and hip. You are likely going to need to stop trying to control all these variables at once and convince your body to act more like this:

Still trying to figure this out. I went through some of the heavy videos and I think they are helping me figure out, curious what you think of these.

Especially at 6:08 https://youtu.be/eULzMfHKyvA?t=368

I also threw a few bricks in the backyard.

And I set this one up using my indo board and worked on feeling it that way. As a surfer I do understand what he means.

I'll keep drilling this and trying to find the move then see if I can translate it correctly.

Always happy to see HUB/loopghost love around here. See if it triggers you, it's the same idea. I still suspect that the reason hitting my heavy bag with a backfist or hammer works quickly for me is because of my martial arts background. So sometimes you need to try several things to get your brain to make the right associations.

Remember - *drop* all your weight from the rear side into the crush to brace and swing or throw the brick or ball or disc. Notice the similarities in that little seabas ball drill or what HUB does there or a hockey slapshot or baseball swing.

The increase in low-effort speed is ludicrous when it starts clicking.

Throwing a brick

Trying a few throws, seems like maybe a little better on the bottom half?

Last one looked best. First couple you are striding way too leftward and planting flat footed. All of them are still too flat swing plane. What discs are you throwing?

I would start in more staggered and wider stance and then reverse stride so front foot move inward/right and closer under you, but should still end up slightly staggered closed.

Last one looked best. First couple you are striding way too leftward and planting flat footed. All of them are still too flat swing plane. What discs are you throwing?

I would start in more staggered and wider stance and then reverse stride so front foot move inward/right and closer under you, but should still end up slightly staggered closed.

Funny, I thought the first one looked best. :p

I'm just throwing some random driver I picked up off a stack in the yard. Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep working on it.

I'm just throwing some random driver I picked up off a stack in the yard.

Try some neutral or slightly US putters or mids and swing hyzer. The point isn't to permanently make you throw on hyzer - it helps your body find contact with the ground forces and aid your flow of posture.

This isn't blanket "don't throw drivers" advice - it's about sorting out the mechanics at this stage

Note how Henna's shoulders are tilted about 45 degrees vertical and she's throwing a turnover shot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 11.40.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 11.40.18 AM.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 130
Note how Henna's shoulders are tilted about 45 degrees vertical and she's throwing a turnover shot.
attachment.php

So spent some time practicing my swing in front of my TV since I could see my reflection and really worked on getting that tilt. It took awhile for me to really get it but once I did it felt better and I think it helped with my lower body as well.

The swing felt really good so this afternoon when I played a round I decided to just try my best to stick to that form and not worry about throwing far or hard to see what would happen. Well it went really well and I ended up playing two rounds because I was having so much fun. My friend that I played the second round with said I was "absolutely bombing now". :thmbup:

So I'll keep working on this and post some video soon. Thanks again for the help!

So I'll keep working on this and post some video soon. Thanks again for the help!

Round 1 of throws.

Reviewed round 1 while I was still at the field and noticed my off arm was getting behind me which for me usually indicates turning vs tilting and not staying planted. So filmed another round and tried to keep the arm closer to the hip.

Throws felt very easy and didn't feel any strain while throwing. Last round all the discs went straight to my target which is an improvement for me. :) Sure there is still lots of room for improvement but this feels like a step in the right direction.

Round 2 looked better!

Slow down or delay your backswing. You hit the top too early/quick.

Round 2 looked better!

Slow down or delay your backswing. You hit the top too early/quick.

Ok, I think I get that. More like the Can Can/Elephant drill so that the lower body starts the process and the backswing follows.

A couple realizations I've had recently while working on my form that I think/hope are correct.

1. The upper and lower body are like dance partners and the lower body needs to be the lead and the upper needs to follow.

2. The correct tilt is important and one of the things it fixes (for me) is getting my elbow more up. If you hold the disc in the pocket and then tilt down, it brings up the elbow in relation to the chest.

Thanks again!