• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Robbins Park, NC & Beatty's Ford Park

Harpo1989

Hi there. Newbie player here.

My wife and I cut our teeth on the game at Beatty's Ford Park starting out knowing nothing about what a disc golf course looks like. It's the closest one to the house. It's really short but very tight through the wooded holes. We enjoyed it although I don't think it gets much use from serious players.

Robbins Park was the next one we tried and that is a lot of fun for me except the 16th hole, which I hate only because OB eats me alive! :) I see that some holes have 2 tee boxes. Will there eventually be a full set of long tees? And while there is plenty of signage, will there be any permanent markers, signage. It appears to be a work in progress but will get a lot of play from me.

We also unknowingly tried Hornets Nest....ooops! I wanted to see the course that had some big tourneys played on it but did not realize they were tearing it apart. There is no marking for the start of the first hole which looks like it was placed in a dump! There was garbage including a lot of glass all down the fairway. We almost left after the first throw. It got better after we got past the temporary holes. I won't be back until they finish whatever it is they are doing.

My wife isn't, nor will she be, a serious player but it's something we can do together since she doesn't hold up play. Any suggestions on a course in the Charlotte area that has more open holes and less wooded ones? And well marked for a new player?

We also travel to the NC mountains often. Any suggestions for a good course in the western part of the state?

Check out the course directory here. Their is an ABSURD amount of disc golf in Charlotte and the surrounding areas. Robbins is very new and still a work in progress, but a fun course. Hornets nest is basically dead. Their is a huge construction project going on their and the course is getting a complete redesign whenever the construction gets done.

Oh and bailey road park is probably the most beginner friendly course in the area. Check it out, it's very well done for a short course

Check out Bradford Park DGC in Huntersville, a pretty good mix of open, wooded and decent terrain. Very clean an well kept. A fun but not over bearing challenging course. I like it ;)

Charlotte has several beginner and intermediate level courses. As said, Bailey is perfect, especially if you live north of town.

A quick trip down I-77 to I-485 to 521 will take you to Elon Park and the Eager Beaver course, which is on par with Bailey. (Elon also features Angry Beaver, but that'll come later ;)).

The newest short course is Renske, located on the ball field side of Renaissance Park, on Tyvola Road. It was built this year as a host course for the older divisions playing the U.S. Masters Championship at the end of August.

Other courses with similar or slightly harder layouts include Reedy Creek (Charlotte first permanent course), Winget, Kilborne and Sugaw Creek.

Hi there. Newbie player here.

My wife isn't, nor will she be, a serious player but it's something we can do together since she doesn't hold up play. Any suggestions on a course in the Charlotte area that has more open holes and less wooded ones? And well marked for a new player?

Check out Bradford Park DGC in Huntersville, a pretty good mix of open, wooded and decent terrain. Very clean an well kept. A fun but not over bearing challenging course. I like it ;)

Bradford = FUN DG :thmbup:

As the designer:
The layout for Robbins wont change much unless there is construction. I may make a long #2 and a long #17 (throwing from the Dam) but other than that no more short pads. No more long pads.

Denver Disc Golf:
Ive designed and mostly cut a new course in Denver across the street from the Lincoln Charter School . 9 hole course with 2 teepads per hole. Look for it to be the best 9 hole course you'll find. Much work is needed on amenities and hardware installation...cut tree clean up. That should be completed sometime this winter/spring.

Beatty's Ford Park:
Don't be surprised if you see a redesign/upgrade/trimming here. The goal is 12-18 beginner holes total with teepads signage and removal of the overgrowth and ample poison ivy. This would be after or concurrent to the end of the Rotary park project that I previously mentioned.

Another good one that has a number of open holes is Eastway, i just recently played Robbins for the first time, it's fun

My favorite right now is Bradford, just the right amount of difficulty

We also travel to the NC mountains often. Any suggestions for a good course in the western part of the state?

Catawba Meadows in Morganton is really open and I still enjoyed it. Apparently they lost a lot of trees in a storm last year.

Catawba Meadows was long and fun but repetitive. I only got to play the front 9 since the back was filled with campers (played 4th of July) and raining.
I had a much better time at Richmond Hill in Asheville. Beautifully maintained, great design.

Just played the new Wilkesboro course Rolling Pines 2 weeks ago and that is a fun course too.

Plantation Ruins at Winget in Charlotte, NC has a lot of open holes and the wooded holes are not as tight as most Charlotte area courses.

Try Plantation Ruins and you will thank me later. I had a great time there last time I was in the area and tom12003 guided us and gave us quite a tour and history of the course.

tom12003 is still listed as a guide and recently updated the conditions to perfect :thmbup:

As the designer:
The layout for Robbins wont change much unless there is construction. I may make a long #2 and a long #17 (throwing from the Dam) but other than that no more short pads. No more long pads.

Denver Disc Golf:
Ive designed and mostly cut a new course in Denver across the street from the Lincoln Charter School . 9 hole course with 2 teepads per hole. Look for it to be the best 9 hole course you'll find. Much work is needed on amenities and hardware installation...cut tree clean up. That should be completed sometime this winter/spring.

Beatty's Ford Park:
Don't be surprised if you see a redesign/upgrade/trimming here. The goal is 12-18 beginner holes total with teepads signage and removal of the overgrowth and ample poison ivy. This would be after or concurrent to the end of the Rotary park project that I previously mentioned.
Is the Denver course open yet?

And tee pads would be awesome at Beatty's Ford. Some of those tees can be ankle twisters!

Just curious, do you have to petition the county for funds to improve the courses? How does all that work. Glad there's people out there that care about maintaining them so thank you for that.

Is the Denver course open yet?

And tee pads would be awesome at Beatty's Ford. Some of those tees can be ankle twisters!

Just curious, do you have to petition the county for funds to improve the courses? How does all that work. Glad there's people out there that care about maintaining them so thank you for that.

Thanks, but like I said, Winter or Spring for the Denver course. Park department contacted me. I won the design bid/brief. Funds come from all over. In this case a donor supplied the funding for baskets. My design work is cheap but respected. That won out over other sources in the area. Plus I do work and follow the project through as I say "Concept to Concrete" Should I trademark that? Sometimes doing good work and getting good feedback makes those places comfortable using you again in the future. So that opens up opportunities as park departments expand and gain more area/resources to maintain and help develop them. I spend at least 30 hours walking a course before I cut a thing. Design is much harder than most local designers give credit for. I think it is very important to have a respected designer at least walk your property...probably one of the most important things in developing a disc golf course. At the very least they know the right things to say to the park department to open them up to disc golf courses. I have a number of tools that I use when talking with park departments and various council committees when presenting courses or designs.

Last edited:
Thanks, but like I said, Winter or Spring for the Denver course. Park department contacted me. I won the design bid/brief. Funds come from all over. In this case a donor supplied the funding for baskets. My design work is cheap but respected. That won out over other sources in the area. Plus I do work and follow the project through as I say "Concept to Concrete" Should I trademark that? Sometimes doing good work and getting good feedback makes those places comfortable using you again in the future. So that opens up opportunities as park departments expand and gain more area/resources to maintain and help develop them. I spend at least 30 hours walking a course before I cut a thing. Design is much harder than most local designers give credit for. I think it is very important to have a respected designer at least walk your property...probably one of the most important things in developing a disc golf course. At the very least they know the right things to say to the park department to open them up to disc golf courses. I have a number of tools that I use when talking with park departments and various council committees when presenting courses or designs.
Maybe you should trademark that. :) I've only been playing a short time but I like what I've seen on the courses you've designed. Of course they are still growing and can always use some tweaking but I can only image time, man power, and money are large obstacles. Glad you're there for our community.
When you say across from Lincoln Charter School do you mean that literally since there doesn't appear to be a public park there? I was just looking on Google maps since I never turn down that road.

Maybe you should trademark that. :) I've only been playing a short time but I like what I've seen on the courses you've designed. Of course they are still growing and can always use some tweaking but I can only image time, man power, and money are large obstacles. Glad you're there for our community.
When you say across from Lincoln Charter School do you mean that literally since there doesn't appear to be a public park there? I was just looking on Google maps since I never turn down that road.

Too new, youd be surprised what it looks like now. 2 multi use fields, phase 2 will be an ampitheater. I think they will be the future location of the Denver Farmers Market. No grass though, just dirt and some structures for the park.

Walk down to the back right youll see flagging in the woods across a creek. That is hole 1.

Stan was a great teacher.
I have so many flags up in the woods, it must be the most confusing thing for people to follow until I cut, lol.
I might have to take a trip to see the early development. It's truly awesome knowing I will have more courses very near the house to play!

Latest posts