• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saddest loss ever? To our lost discs.

AshleyH

Eagle Member
The only way to not lose them is to not throw them, right?

Here is a small sampling of some of my bigger losses.

In 2006 I lost my Augusta wraith to the raging river.

Andy lost his pearly champ gator, doesn't even know where or how, so of course he took mine.

Lost my pink star '06 baby roc, I think I threw it in the field and never picked it up.

Here's a funny one though. Andy threw his CE Valkyrie, and it flipped right into the heavy schule. Looked forever, never found it. One YEAR later, did the same thing with a different disc, and found his Valkyrie. It had been sitting there hidden for a year.

I lost my favorite 1st run z nuke, 171g pink with a blue stamp at Zephyr Cove DGC on hole 17. I was dumb to throw that disc on such a short hole and it went super deep. King of the lake came through the next weekend and I'm sure someone has it now. I even put fresh ink on the disc 6 holes before I lost it, oh well.

Green Champ Whippet......... I'm truly sorry i left you behind. :doh:

To the newb that probably picked it up and ignored the clearly written name and number........ i hope you quit the game out of frustration, thinking all golf discs fly that way.

I suppose my saddest and most significant loss was my most favorite beat DX Roc. Three years ago I tossed it into the water at Blue Ribbon Pines and never got it back. It was the beginning of the end for the Roc. The Buzzz/Meteor era was beginning...

I also lost a sweet purple 11x firebird to the drink. I actually got a phone call about a week later, saying they found my firebird. Turns out it was the blue firebird that I had lost over a year previously, and had replaced with the purple. At least the blue one is back in my bag now.

hole 17 at Arcadia in Ft. Worth, lost my favorite 11x CAL teebird (black with a sweet rainbow stamp)

i'll never forget that one

oh, also the worlds Z drone that i threw in the water on hole 3 at Lake Park when the water level was waaaay up. i'll never forget that one either.

Knock on wood, but I've never lost one yet. I find lots of them and try to return them when I can. I did leave a champ beast inside a big wild rose bush during field practice but a nice ball golfer found it and returned it to me the next time he saw me.

Of all the discs that I have lost, I have recovered or replaced them all, except my perfectly beat-in sweet tie-dyed X-165g Stratus.
I have not been able to find another disc that flew with a flight pattern like this one. The closest thing I have found is a beat-to-crap Star Wedge, but it doesn't have the length that my sweet Stratus had. I HAVE tried a lot of other Stratii
The plastic on that X-Stratus seemed very ESP-like. I threw it for years and it looked very good, better than you expect for EliteZ.
I miss her.
I saw her go into the creek/ditch on #8 at Castle Hayne. I actually went in waste-deep and looked around for 30+ minutes and never found it.
It did have my name and number...

Showed a guy how to throw a thumber with an 11x firebird. Left it. Came right back and it was gone. Talked to the only other guys who were nearby and they said they didn't pick it up. Still have a hard time believing that since the disc landed right out in the open and they had walked through.

Threw an opaque bar stamped 4x valk in a lake before I knew what it was. Still kicking myself on that one.

My perfectly seasoned 177 blue Gold Line River. That disc hit the perfect line but had just a little too much glide. Instead of sitting nicely just short of the water on BRP Majestic #6, it found the middle of the water. A little softer or a little harder and I would have been fine. I think that disc was not the one with my River ace on it, I am not sure because I did not immediately mark it after I hit it and I had four blue 177 Rivers.

I lost another perfectly seasoned 177 blue GL River on the now non-existent island hole at BRP. I let a new player in our group try it out and he proceeded to find that ditch. He felt bad and we fished for it for about 15 minutes. We discovered 18 discs, giving them all to the pro shop, but despite seeing exactly where it went into the water, narrowing it down to a ten foot by five area, we could not come up with it. Now I am down to two of my GL Rivers.

On the theme of Rivers, I had a nicely dyed Opto River that decided to turn over on Bryant Lake #17. I almost never turn over Rivers and TeeBirds on that hole, but this was the one time and it hit the perfect blind spot where I could not see where and how deep it disappeared into the forest. This was the same day I lost a yellow Cryztal Buzzz on hole #5. I saw the thing land in that thin patch of woods seperating hole 5 and 7 and I still could not find it.

I was about to write that I believe I have done a wonderful job this year not losing discs, but as I sat down to tally it up, I suddenly realized I am very close to average. I do not know why, but it does not seem as I have lost as much. Maybe it could be my lost per round ratio has decreased because I have played more. This year I have lost the three above mentioned Rivers, that Buzzz, a Star Roc+, Tournament Sword, and a Z Nuke SS.

My well seasoned Pro Destroyer at East Metro. Sometimes hitting a tree dead center is better than barely hitting it and watching it go 90* to the left into a cacti jungle.

169 g, PERFECTLY seasoned red star destroyer lost in the swamp @ Fairfield, #12. It had been my go-to driver for at least 2 years prior to losing it.

Sure, I should have been working in a back up, but I have not thrown a destroyer since that was as good and consistent as that one. This was the unofficial start of my discin' down adventure. Some day, I'll get a destroyer back in the bag.

I have a knack for losing ace discs.

Hit an ace at West Lake in Davenport. Next day lost it in water on my 2nd hole.

Hit 2 aces at Wildcat. Went to BRP lost both during a practice round.

The sadest disc I lost was my first putter. I think it was hole #3 at eastern park in Davenport. Putter flew past the basket into the creek. Came back and walked the whole creek. No luck in finding it.

I've only lost 2 so far (knocking on all the wood I can), but both were pretty sad.

Second game ever, first game with my own discs, 2nd throw of the day. The course was pretty flooded at the time, and the fairway had a huge pond off to the left due to the flooding. I of course hook left the first time throwing my brand new shark, right into the middle of it. Had it been warmer (was low 30s that day), or maybe the last hole of the day, I'd have pulled up my jeans and went looking, but I wasn't about to get soaked on the first hole in that weather. Of course I hadn't marked the disc yet either.

A few months later I lost my second disc, my DX Valk that I'd been enjoying all day. Throw was looking good, although it was also high, until a huge gust of wind came (we were getting 20-25 mph gusts all day). Wind blew it higher and off course, right into the biggest and thickest tree around. We spent the next 20 minutes throwing huge rocks into the tree, just trying to move branches enough to even see it, but even the rocks were getting stuck. I swear, the tree just ate the disc. When the tree eventually comes down, they'll probably find 40 discs in it.

so these are too sad for the megathread?

I've been carrying a 171 opaque 11X TeeBird for almost 4 years. It was perfectly seasoned for very gentle turnover. I could crank the crap out of it on a big anny and it would float forever and hold it's line to the ground. It was amazing for powered down tunnel shots. Real straight. It was money. Threw it about dusk one night on a high turnover over the top of some cedar trees. I did not comit to the throw and it stall hyzered out into uncharted territory. I've been back and searched systematically at least three times to no avail. I've tried other discs and none compare to my baby.

I've been carrying a 171 opaque 11X TeeBird for almost 4 years. It was perfectly seasoned for very gentle turnover. I could crank the crap out of it on a big anny and it would float forever and hold it's line to the ground. It was amazing for powered down tunnel shots. Real straight. It was money. Threw it about dusk one night on a high turnover over the top of some cedar trees. I did not comit to the throw and it stall hyzered out into uncharted territory. I've been back and searched systematically at least three times to no avail. I've tried other discs and none compare to my baby.

I have a 168 11x like this, so I know what you are missing, they are sweet discs once they beat in.

I put a pretty sweet 11x TB in the water at flyboy, short-armed it straight into the water :)

That's really the only disc I really, really valued that i've lost, besides some well seasoned pro DD's.