• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs DGX Disc Golf Shoe

to be honest they shoes look much better then i expected.. but to be completely honest would be hard for me to drop that much on them since its pretty much what i would spend on my merrells .. good luck though!

No warranty made by a lesser known out of the country manufacturer but we're calling it the first shoe by a disc golf specific company. Lot of liberty you all take with words. If you won't even tell us who makes them you must not have confidence in their reputation. Or they don't make shoes for the American market and this is our first taste at them with a big markup.

It is always good to see the effort. But, to say the least, being a size 12.5 kills it instantly.

That, and generally all my shoe purchases are 50 and cheaper.

Thanks for answering, best wishes.

Are your testers getting a pair of these? I would love to try them out and leave a review. I made a short video for the antidote when it was sent to me, would be fun to try out the shoes for a couple weeks and get a review out

Although with that price point, I dont think you guys are going to necessarily hand out 15 pairs of shoes:p

I think they look pretty sweet, my main question is in durability and if they would need to be replaced in 3 months~

WAY too much risk in purchasing these, with nearly no upside. My current Keens, with a one year warranty, have already lasted 4 months, still look fairly new, and are made by a reputable manufacturer/company...all for $65.
I must say though, I like the blue and orange color schemes.

...would be fun to try out the shoes for a couple weeks and get a review out
my main question is in durability and if they would need to be replaced in 3 months~
How is a two week trial going to tell you if they last 3 months? :p

Are your testers getting a pair of these? I would love to try them out and leave a review. I made a short video for the antidote when it was sent to me, would be fun to try out the shoes for a couple weeks and get a review out

Although with that price point, I dont think you guys are going to necessarily hand out 15 pairs of shoes:p

I think they look pretty sweet, my main question is in durability and if they would need to be replaced in 3 months~

The shoes will not be sent out to testers. It was worth a shot though.

These shoes certainly look nicer than I expected, and much better than the DG Spec 1.

That said, without being able to try them on and the only return policy being an exchange - plus, pre-order madness - I just don't see these selling well. I think Salient would do better to roll these out in physical locations - fly marts at tourneys, course pro shops, etc. - where people can try them on without risk. Otherwise, if I am going to buy online, I'm going somewhere like Running Warehouse where I have 90 days to return for something else.

Scott's measured tone, and no appearances from Titan037, definitely makes this a far cry from the Salient days of earlier this year, though, so I applaud the progress.

WAY too much risk in purchasing these, with nearly no upside. My current Keens, with a one year warranty, have already lasted 4 months, still look fairly new, and are made by a reputable manufacturer/company...all for $65.
I must say though, I like the blue and orange color schemes.

How is a two week trial going to tell you if they last 3 months? :p

Touche.

Just wanted to make a video review for them as far as comfortability and performance goes, longer term wear would have to be discussed further down the road. I read the website and it appears they won't even come in until mid-summer, so I don't think anyone will be testing these anytime soon.

I agree, probably too much risk at this time, it would be nice if they would get products out to people with ample time to test them and get the word out if they're garbage or solid~

As far as looks go I will say they look better than most of the shoes I see on the disc course. Then again, who cares about looks? It's all about performance and durability

These look cool, but keens still look more durable, these look like tennis shoes in a way. The limited sizes is a bit weird too. Nice to see more options out there though.

These shoes certainly look nicer than I expected, and much better than the DG Spec 1.

That said, without being able to try them on and the only return policy being an exchange - plus, pre-order madness - I just don't see these selling well. I think Salient would do better to roll these out in physical locations - fly marts at tourneys, course pro shops, etc. - where people can try them on without risk. Otherwise, if I am going to buy online, I'm going somewhere like Running Warehouse where I have 90 days to return for something else.

Scott's measured tone, and no appearances from Titan037, definitely makes this a far cry from the Salient days of earlier this year, though, so I applaud the progress.

I appreciate your kind words about me and your ideas for the future. Thanks for taking your time to give me your input Onemilemore.

I just can't imagine buying shoes without trying them on, or AT LEAST having the option to return them. There are a million shoe options both online and through b&m retailers that I just have a hard time believing this is a good idea. I'm all for supporting disc golf companies, but first and foremost I support myself, and it just seems like the consumer is asking for issues if they pre-order these. I think Salient is going to end up with a house full of unsold shoes.
My opinion of course.

Yep Scott is doing perfectly fine. I'm not going to mess it up haha. I am mainly focusing on facebook myself and answering questions there.All of you have valid points, good and bad. I myself am also questioning the warranty situation a little bit and hope that doesn't deter people from future purchase once the shoes become in stock at various online retailers. This was a project that took quite a while and i hope there are as few disappointments as possible.

The only thing I can really say guys is some people enjoy supporting disc golf companies. Same idea as people who only buy stuff made in the USA because they want to support the US. Some people will buy from a company because they are just a disc golf company so they are in turn supporting the sport of disc golf. As always everyone is more than welcome to buy what they would like. I am just here to let you guys know the shoes are coming. Some people will buy and some people will not. I appreciate anyone and everyone for at least taking time to come and read the thread and look at the shoes.

So you're entire marketing scheme basically boils down to "buy from us because we're one of you."

This was a project that took quite a while and i hope there are as few disappointments as possible.

I'm sure there was a lot of effort put into this, so congratulations for the accomplishment are certainly in order. However, the result seems to mean more to the creators than it does to the consumers. Salient's problem from the start has been this attitude of "we're going to be the first, do-it-all DG company." It's been a very self-serving affair. The focus has been on building the brand without enough thought going into finding solutions for problems that the current DG market doesn't solve.

This shoe is a perfect example of that. Scott's obviously excited to finally see a shoe with is brand name on it. But what does it offer that other shoes on the market don't? Nothing. The only thing to set it apart, as Scott says in the above quote, is that it's made by disc golfers. That's a pretty weak selling point.

So you're entire marketing scheme basically boils down to "buy from us because we're one of you."

I'm sure there was a lot of effort put into this, so congratulations for the accomplishment are certainly in order. However, the result seems to mean more to the creators than it does to the consumers. Salient's problem from the start has been this attitude of "we're going to be the first, do-it-all DG company." It's been a very self-serving affair. The focus has been on building the brand without enough thought going into finding solutions for problems that the current DG market doesn't solve.

This shoe is a perfect example of that. Scott's obviously excited to finally see a shoe with is brand name on it. But what does it offer that other shoes on the market don't? Nothing. The only thing to set it apart, as Scott says in the above quote, is that it's made by disc golfers. That's a pretty weak selling point.

This is my personal opinion. I want to make that clear and this will be the last thing i answer. The point of a disc golf company making a disc golf shoe is that it only has one purpose, disc golf. Its a shoe that like trail shoes was made to handle the wear of its purpose. For the DGX it was made specifically for disc golf so the thought, the materials, the design is all beneficial for only disc golf. Can it be worn casually? Yes, but its main purpose is for the shoe to withstand the wear of disc golf actions, driving,putting, water, mud, rain etc. again just my opinion but i feel that is what separates this shoe from shoes like solomon, merrel, northface etc that are used mainly for trails or running.

But to be honest, Salient is not making the shoe are they? No!! They designed it, and they are outsourcing it. So actually a Non disc golf related company is making the shoe.

I have done a ton of research and tests on various shoes. The goal has been to find the one solid shoe for DG. I am still searching....

These look to be nice, however a critical look has some concerns. They are as follows:
- The heal to toe drop appears to be at least 10mm.
- The design is likely to have the shoes pushing 15oz

I want a neutral heal to toe drop shoe, fully water proof, arch support, toe box protected from blow outs, solid heel and toe platform for balance, sole grip that is good in grass/dirt and on cement (without quick wear due to cement). Lastly, the shoe has to be light weight (under 10oz at least). From a disc golfer perspective, everything said should make 110% sense.

The fact that Scott ignored me twice tells me all I need to know!

Latest posts