• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

I hope that this is true, cuz that sounds like something they would do. And where can I find this thread

Disc golf buyer feedback

Man they are getting bent over a barrel.

Last edited:
This is the dark side of growing the sport...

Seriouslt though, this is some Hucker magazine level B.S. and all because their Helix bags are garbage. A shame, because the Ember and Spark are actually decent bags.

I like how Salient posted something about slander and libel.

They don't even know the difference between the two.

Some "lawyer" they have working for them.

The dude who started this whole incident posted some pretty irrefutible evidence that the lawyer and the lawyer's e-mail were 100% fake.

I have a helix bag it's ok but far from the best. I only use it now because I got it for Christmas last year and can't afford the bag I want at the moment.
The back plastic is all jacked up and out of whack making it lean and fall over easy.
Zippers have been good so far but I only use the ones on the sides.

Yep, they're making the already dumpy resale value of my contender bag much much lower. It's practically new and Ill probably be lucky to sell it for 50$

This is really unfortunate, I don't understand how they could do something like this and be so honest and honorable in their dealings with myself.

I've used them for tournament packs four times now with no issues, everyone does really like the product. I have an Ember bag it's really nice for that price

I'm wearing DGX shoes right now, they are pretty good too. I like them as well as my Merrella and they are half the cost.

But goodness if this is all true.

Doesn't MJ use a Helix bag? I also know a local who has one as well and it seemingly has no problems. Is it just a for every 2-3 bags, you get a turd? LOL

Doesn't MJ use a Helix bag? I also know a local who has one as well and it seemingly has no problems. Is it just a for every 2-3 bags, you get a turd? LOL

Sounds like the opposite to me...for every 2-3 turds you get a good one. I've seen two here in CO (when I was rocking the Ember) and they both fell apart. I didn't grill the owners, but it was only a couple months between me noticing their Helixes and then seeing them have something else.

It just must be a poor design. Because the Ember and Spark are solid.

The only bag I've seen in person that fell apart were a few Catalysts some locals picked up off a Salient guy at a tourney. I noticed roughly 5-6 months later they were in horrible shape.

My catalyst has held up pretty well, I had some fraying on a shoulder strap, but it has reached a point where it has stopped getting worse.

I essentially voided the warranty on day 1, so I won't have to deal with Salient at any point anyway.

The newest dirt from the ongoing Salient drama on Facebook:

(Posted by the guy who made the original complaint)

"So after Collin Anderson received the a fake threat from a fake attorney and salient, I went ahead and created a claim with the better business bureau (almost identical to the my OP) and sent them the following email:
"
You guys had this coming for a long time. Way to hire an imaginary attorney by the way. Why don't you hire some imaginary friends while you're at it since you are such pricks that no one could bear to be around you for two seconds.
"

Steve's response:
"
Alex,
I saw some of the threads/posts earlier today regarding your Helix bag warranty matter. I do apologize for the delay of nearly a week in getting back to you but before we could do so you had posted many disparaging and rude remarks on many different social media sites and on our own website. Our warranty policy has not changed since we offered it and the response you received was definitely in line with that policy. We typically do not respond to warranty matters until the policy is followed and while you did send an email, there was no pictures of the issue and you did not inform us of your warranty number; all of which is clearly stated on our warranty policy.

I see that you did purchase an extended warranty when you bought the bag. Do you have that warranty card? If so, I would be willing to handle your warranty matter but I do have some conditions.

1. You will be required to send in the bag for a replacement, not a repair, since you have the warranty. You will need to send in the warranty card with the bag to make this happen.
2. You will need to post to the different forums where you have expressed your remarks that Salient honored the warranty. Your post will need to clarify that you began posting to social media prior to hearing from Salient and that our initial response to you was not to refuse your warranty on any grounds other than your posting to social media prior to our attempt to rectify this matter. (We should have responded earlier, no doubt, but before we could, you were blasting us. Had you been just a bit more patient, and had you followed the clearly written policy, I can guarantee you that your warranty would have been honored. We have the social media clause since we are a small company and we do want the opportunity to correct any issues that might arise).
3. You must inform your friends of the warranty replacement and the fact that the warranty would have been honored had it not been for the social media posts prior to our initial reply and that our lack of a response was due to your failure to follow the warranty notification policy.

In short, you need to acknowledge that we handled your complaint once you followed the written policy.

If you comply with these conditions, you will receive a replacement bag from Salient. I can guarantee that.

I leave the decision to you. I do appreciate your support but I cannot condone the manner in which you went about this request. I do understand your frustration and hope to make this right with you.

Steve Boucher
Salient Discs"

I'll leave it up to y'all to decide what to make of all this. Personally, I think it's good that they are trying to do the right thing, HOWEVER they are clearly doing it the wrong way. Steve always seems to be covering for some bonehead move made by Kilgus, and this just smacks of that. I get that they are a small company, but trying to hide the truth and whitewash your **** up, especially by insisting that the customer apologize (when they really did nothing wrong) is bad business all around.

I've had quite the journey of opinion with Salient, from venomous hatred, to begrudging acceptance, to full-on apologists, back to hatred, and now to pure puzzlement. As in: how are these guys still in business? And why did I ever give them a second chance last year?

(We should have responded earlier, no doubt, but before we could, you were blasting us. Had you been just a bit more patient, and had you followed the clearly written policy, I can guarantee you that your warranty would have been honored. We have the social media clause since we are a small company and we do want the opportunity to correct any issues that might arise).
They had 5 FIVE days to reply and didn't. But once the OP of the FB thread posted his complaint on Facebook they replied within 1 ONE HOUR

Bad, bad, bad Salient.

It is such a shame that Salient cant just figure it out. Time and time again they choose to just do the wrong thing customer wise. Fake lawyers? Really? I have given them two chances and even before this latest thread I knew I was done with them. I really like the idea of supporting local companies, so I was pumped when I received a catalyst as a gift. I had no idea who they were before receiving the bag. Well, just like everyone else the straps failed on my catalyst. I was a little upset by this, but mine lasted about a year so I considered my self lucky. Then, i had a crunchbox, but wanted a backpack bag again. I saw the spark and foolishly decided to go with salient again. The bag is fine, but what upset me is after I ordered they waited almost a week and a half to ship it. In the world of amazon prime and other next day shipping companies I found it unacceptable. And on top of my mildly poor experience I see crap like this.
Now I find myself not even wanting to carry my bag because I dont want to support them in any way. Oh well, I was going to pick up a ranger bag anyways.

I hope I am not voiding any warranties by posting this LOL

hahah pretty funny.

even in their attempt to make it right, they don't do a good job of not coming off snarky. the whole "nearly 5 days" and the frequency of the words "cleary written policy" just rub me the wrong way in their response. you can tell salient seems to have some PTSD or complex about negative reviews, i mean... why have a social media clause to your warranty policy at all. ironically, i don't think it's necessary to stipulate a person to retract their online statements after they're taken care of, they'll usually do that themselves once they're treated right...

This is just too funny.

If they would have taken 1% as much effort on the initial warranty claim none of this goes down. Shoot, even after all that if they would have just said "we were out of line, we're going to take care of you, thank you for your business" the dude probably would have changed his tune about the whole situation. This is so dumb.

Latest posts