• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

Salient doesn't follow the rule of holes - if you find yourself in one, stop digging.

When they were transitioning from Physical Flight to Salient, I criticized their customer relations on this site and one of their fake aliases threatened to come up to NC and find me and shut me up.

Good business reputations are earned, not forcibly attained.

I see that you did purchase an extended warranty when you bought the bag. Do you have that warranty card? If so, I would be willing to handle your warranty matter but I do have some conditions.

1. You will be required to send in the bag for a replacement, not a repair, since you have the warranty. You will need to send in the warranty card with the bag to make this happen.

So the buyer actually purchased an extended warranty and Salient has a record of that purchase; yet the buyer is required to send in the warranty card before the warranty is honored? Is it that Salient has no confidence in their record keeping skills, or are they setting fire to the hoops the buyer must jump through?

I fell into a burning ring of fire, I went down down down and the flames they went higher, and it burned burned burned, the ring of fire, the ring of fire.

My guess is they would be better off NOT having a warranty at all, make the cost a bit less, and if your bag fails in a week or a year it's on the buyer. At least they could be respected as you get what you pay for. Making you lick balls for an extended warranty you paid for is as lame as you can be. The customer has a right to say whatever the hell they want. If you as a company don't like it, do a better job to prevent it. If someone said their Mahal was a piece of crap everyone would know they are full of it. A good product speaks for itself. Besides what ever happened to the customer is always right?

Sounds too much like my ex, certainly gonna steer clear of anything salient

Man if i had the time and effort to gather up all these claims against them it would make for a PERFECT example of how not to do business. i mean cmon. far superior products out there similar prices and a much better experience. That is what they do not get, when you are small you have to take some hits to build a brand. Grip nearly failed but they did right in most cases and look at them now. take a few hits to get it off there ground take care of the early adopters, make improvements and watch it take off by word of mouth alone. I mean I'm no business savant but even my simple mind can grasp this concept. Do not sh!t on your customers ever! its 2015 and one un happy customer is one too many. social media alone is burying these guys.

i was close to pulling the trigger a few times on their bags. looked into what upper park was doing and jumped ship. now those guys know whats up.

The newest dirt from the ongoing Salient drama on Facebook:

(Posted by the guy who made the original complaint)

"So after Collin Anderson received the a fake threat from a fake attorney and salient, I went ahead and created a claim with the better business bureau (almost identical to the my OP) and sent them the following email:
"
You guys had this coming for a long time. Way to hire an imaginary attorney by the way. Why don't you hire some imaginary friends while you're at it since you are such pricks that no one could bear to be around you for two seconds.
"

Steve's response:
"
Alex,
I saw some of the threads/posts earlier today regarding your Helix bag warranty matter. I do apologize for the delay of nearly a week in getting back to you but before we could do so you had posted many disparaging and rude remarks on many different social media sites and on our own website. Our warranty policy has not changed since we offered it and the response you received was definitely in line with that policy. We typically do not respond to warranty matters until the policy is followed and while you did send an email, there was no pictures of the issue and you did not inform us of your warranty number; all of which is clearly stated on our warranty policy.

I see that you did purchase an extended warranty when you bought the bag. Do you have that warranty card? If so, I would be willing to handle your warranty matter but I do have some conditions.

1. You will be required to send in the bag for a replacement, not a repair, since you have the warranty. You will need to send in the warranty card with the bag to make this happen.
2. You will need to post to the different forums where you have expressed your remarks that Salient honored the warranty. Your post will need to clarify that you began posting to social media prior to hearing from Salient and that our initial response to you was not to refuse your warranty on any grounds other than your posting to social media prior to our attempt to rectify this matter. (We should have responded earlier, no doubt, but before we could, you were blasting us. Had you been just a bit more patient, and had you followed the clearly written policy, I can guarantee you that your warranty would have been honored. We have the social media clause since we are a small company and we do want the opportunity to correct any issues that might arise).
3. You must inform your friends of the warranty replacement and the fact that the warranty would have been honored had it not been for the social media posts prior to our initial reply and that our lack of a response was due to your failure to follow the warranty notification policy.

In short, you need to acknowledge that we handled your complaint once you followed the written policy.

If you comply with these conditions, you will receive a replacement bag from Salient. I can guarantee that.

I leave the decision to you. I do appreciate your support but I cannot condone the manner in which you went about this request. I do understand your frustration and hope to make this right with you.

Steve Boucher
Salient Discs"

I'll leave it up to y'all to decide what to make of all this. Personally, I think it's good that they are trying to do the right thing, HOWEVER they are clearly doing it the wrong way. Steve always seems to be covering for some bonehead move made by Kilgus, and this just smacks of that. I get that they are a small company, but trying to hide the truth and whitewash your **** up, especially by insisting that the customer apologize (when they really did nothing wrong) is bad business all around.

I've had quite the journey of opinion with Salient, from venomous hatred, to begrudging acceptance, to full-on apologists, back to hatred, and now to pure puzzlement. As in: how are these guys still in business? And why did I ever give them a second chance last year?
Amazing. Every time I think they can't stoop any lower I'm proven wrong. This should be posted in ever Salient thread, and every time they release a new product. They've proven over and over that they're the worst company in disc golf.

New company motto: Failient, where you can get Comcast level customer service from a company 1/1,000,000th the size...

"Failient" is too generous. It implies they were trying their best but just couldn't make it work.

It now appears they are actively trying to screw over customers and are willfully scamming disc golfers to make a quick buck. That's not failing. It's damn near criminal.

The newest dirt from the ongoing Salient drama on Facebook:

(Posted by the guy who made the original complaint)

"So after Collin Anderson received the a fake threat from a fake attorney and salient, I went ahead and created a claim with the better business bureau (almost identical to the my OP) and sent them the following email:
"
You guys had this coming for a long time. Way to hire an imaginary attorney by the way. Why don't you hire some imaginary friends while you're at it since you are such pricks that no one could bear to be around you for two seconds.
"

Steve's response:
"
Alex,
I saw some of the threads/posts earlier today regarding your Helix bag warranty matter. I do apologize for the delay of nearly a week in getting back to you but before we could do so you had posted many disparaging and rude remarks on many different social media sites and on our own website. Our warranty policy has not changed since we offered it and the response you received was definitely in line with that policy. We typically do not respond to warranty matters until the policy is followed and while you did send an email, there was no pictures of the issue and you did not inform us of your warranty number; all of which is clearly stated on our warranty policy.

2. You will need to post to the different forums where you have expressed your remarks that Salient honored the warranty. Your post will need to clarify that you began posting to social media prior to hearing from Salient and that our initial response to you was not to refuse your warranty on any grounds other than your posting to social media prior to our attempt to rectify this matter. (We should have responded earlier, no doubt, but before we could, you were blasting us. Had you been just a bit more patient, and had you followed the clearly written policy, I can guarantee you that your warranty would have been honored. We have the social media clause since we are a small company and we do want the opportunity to correct any issues that might arise).
3. You must inform your friends of the warranty replacement and the fact that the warranty would have been honored had it not been for the social media posts prior to our initial reply and that our lack of a response was due to your failure to follow the warranty notification policy.

In short, you need to acknowledge that we handled your complaint once you followed the written policy.

If you comply with these conditions, you will receive a replacement bag from Salient. I can guarantee that.

I leave the decision to you. I do appreciate your support but I cannot condone the manner in which you went about this request. I do understand your frustration and hope to make this right with you.

Steve Boucher
Salient Discs"

I'll leave it up to y'all to decide what to make of all this. Personally, I think it's good that they are trying to do the right thing, HOWEVER they are clearly doing it the wrong way. Steve always seems to be covering for some bonehead move made by Kilgus, and this just smacks of that. I get that they are a small company, but trying to hide the truth and whitewash your **** up, especially by insisting that the customer apologize (when they really did nothing wrong) is bad business all around.

I've had quite the journey of opinion with Salient, from venomous hatred, to begrudging acceptance, to full-on apologists, back to hatred, and now to pure puzzlement. As in: how are these guys still in business? And why did I ever give them a second chance last year?

So yeah, I'd definitely say I'm not going to buy a Salient product, by going back through the last several pages, and especially this post. I realize we only have half the story, but not responding about a warranty claim for five days, then responding to a guy within one hour when he posts his frustration about you taking five days. I mean, couldn't you have taken the five minutes out of your day to check your inbox for his warranty email before telling him his claim was void? I also like supporting local companies like another guy in this thread posted, but I'm seriously glad I went with a Grip A14 over a Spark. Just seeing customer "service" stuff like this is pretty ridiculous. I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't actually taken them to court over this stuff yet.

bbb is bullsh!t anyway. Their pockets are greasier than a back yard mechanic

Contacting the state Attorney General's office might get more action, especially regarding the part where they impersonated a lawyer.

Just purchased the helix for $100 shipped straight from them. From most reviews I have read it seems well worth it. I've read all 66 pages of this thread and even after everything in the most recent pages I'm guessing $100 is better than any other bag I could get for the price. Now let's just hope they ship fast. I'm not sure if they are still shipping out from disc nation in austin. I'm hoping so because I'm in San Antonio. Maybe one of the salient guys could chime in and let me know?

Just purchased the helix for $100 shipped straight from them. From most reviews I have read it seems well worth it. I've read all 66 pages of this thread and even after everything in the most recent pages I'm guessing $100 is better than any other bag I could get for the price. Now let's just hope they ship fast. I'm not sure if they are still shipping out from disc nation in austin. I'm hoping so because I'm in San Antonio. Maybe one of the salient guys could chime in and let me know?

:doh:

How can you read all these posts and still think there is a chance you are getting a good value bag?

And even then are you willing to support a company that is as shady as these guys are just to save a couple bucks?

Was there some posts deleted or something? The only thing I've seen bad about the bag is one case of the straps ripping on the bottom and they tried to warranty it for him. The warranty states buyer pays return costs. I'm confused how that makes the company look bad? I'm not taking sides BTW.

OK I will admit some of the warranty policies are a little out there but still. I bought a megellan bag from acadamy for $35 after tax. It ripped in about 4 months. So even if I bought one salient helix for $100 shipped a year(which I'm sure it will last that long and some) its worth the money. I'd like to hear some reviews of the bag from people who were part of the pre orders. I'm sure pleanty of them are still going strong.

Latest posts