• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

san antonio

drew197

Par Member
going to san antonio in a couple weeks...probably only have time for 1 course, which one should i play? is there anywhere i can buy some plastic?

thanks

What course kinda depends on where you will be and how much time you will actually have, transport, etc.

I think there's a website on the internet somewhere that allows people to actually post reviews of disc golf courses which you can use to make decisions like this.

I tried playing McClain on a nice weekday afternoon last month, and that place was nuts. Big groups with dogs, kids, etc. The first few holes were so backed up that we started on 10 and played through 18. We got back around to Hole 1 and found yet another huge group waiting to tee off, so we bailed. I don't know if this is typical or not, but you've been warned!!

As far as plastic there are numerous Academy stores in San Antonio and most of them have at least a basic stock of Innova.

i played mcclain when i was there a few years ago...it was ok. seemed kind of run down, mostly over grown and not so easy to navigate. im fine with going back to that course, but i just assumed there was probably something better. im not staying in san antonio, just flying out of there

i live in northeast illinois and am familiar with almost all courses within an hour or so. i am more than happy to give some information to anyone traveling to my area

McClain has been trimmed up a lot in the last year. You may not recognize it. Depending on when you are there, the course will be reversed. Think that will be done on the 27th of this month.

Live Oak, Universal City and Schlather Park in Cibolo are all good choices for that side of town. If you want to go south, Pearsall is always a windy option. Northwest Vista College course is a short fun course on the northwest side of town.

Like they said up there ^ Live Oak has a million holes and is kind of confusing if you don't have someone there to help guide you. I'd either do McClain or Universal City. Both are really fun. If it rains avoid McClain and do UC for sure. Otherwise, I might lean McClain.

They're all pretty close to each other though so you may be able to hit 2. I didn't think Schlather was extremely challenging. It's also a little north and a bunch of 300' holes. Once some of the trees grow in it'll probably be a bit better.

From what I hear there aren't really any good disc stores there although that may have changed.

As far as shops for discs, your best bet is to hit up the gas stations near Live Oak. The best places to get plastic are Circle 786 (on Leafy Hollow) and the convenience store on Shin Oak (just inside loop 1604).

And yes, over the past year or so McClain has been getting a ton of traffic from relatively newer players. Which is good that more people are getting out and playing disc golf, but it can be kind of annoying because they generally lack any sort of courtesy on the course.

Also, some other posters have noted that if it rains you should avoid McClain. This is definitely true, and you should play Universal City if it does. That course dries up like a champ.

Played McClain recently when it was dry and I really liked it although it was a little busy. Haven't played Universal City but I've heard it's nice. I've bought a few discs at Sports Academy although the selection is fair not great. Dicks Sporting has some but their selection is poor. Have fun in SA!

I've played Live Oak a bunch and McClain too. Finally played UC last time I was there and I really enjoyed it quite a bit. Next trip I'll play both McClain and UC.

Until they get Live Oak all set up with the multiple courses that is and I'll give those a test. :)

I've played the big three out there. LO, Universal, and McClain.

Live Oak has the most to offer but the layout is confusing as stated above. I would save it for a day down the road when the design is shored up. I think I like McClain a little begetter than UC, but not by much. Both are great courses. Ifs its low trffic time and dry I'd play McClain. If you're in for an awesome disc golf monster marathon where variety is BIG, then play 38 at LO. Any other time, I would play UC(unless you're a lefty, cause IMO its grossly RHBH friendly)