• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SD and Wyoming trip

Doc13

Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm planning on a trip to Yellowstone Memorial Weekend. Starting in western South Dakota what are some must hit courses in South Dakota and Wyoming?

I haven't played it, but I've always heard really good things about the Spearfish Canyon course in Spearfish, SD. I know if I was in that area I would make it a point to play it.

spearfish is the only one worth playing

paegent hill is a diet version of spearfish

rest arent worth a stop

i would spend time hiking in the black hills instead

I'm planning on a trip to Yellowstone Memorial Weekend. Starting in western South Dakota what are some must hit courses in South Dakota and Wyoming?

First off, I've been digging your recent reviews. I'm from Marshfield so we're practically neighbors. If you're ever up to North Park feel free to PM me and we can play a round. Likewise if I'm down in Point, which is quite a few times a year, I'd be down to play a round there too.

As to your original post. I'm actually planning a sorta similar trip for a couple weeks after yours. I'll be heading to MT via ND. Then working my way back through WY and SD. I have a thread in the "Road Trips" section of the forum here. Lots of people have left some great advice/suggestions on there if you'd want to check that out. Even elmex, he's a pretty good dude actually ;). And he just played a lot of stuff over there.

Thank you! Sounds good I usually get a couple of swings a year over to Marshfield to hit Brahm and North Wood. Have you played Eagle Pines yet? That is a new course by Almond, its still a little rough but getting better, its about 10 minutes from my house I just bought. I have about 10 acres and have started work on putting in my own course which you are welcome to come play sometime.

I will keep an eye on your thread as well and let you know what courses I played on my trip.

If your journey takes you through Casper there is a course there that's pretty fun.

Also, wherever you play in SD or WY you can probably expect to deal with some decent winds so be prepared for that.

The last time I played the Casper course I was dealing with gusty 30-40 mph winds. It definitely added some challenge to the course.

I didn't mind Big Sioux was a pretty fun course, I also camped out there the night before playing, got to chill in the river and scope a few holes before playing in the morning. Spearfish is the rave of South Dakota and I have yet to get there, it was in it's infancy when I was out that way, So I checked out the Black hills and Paegant was fun golf but, nothing spectacular. I also enjoy the Rotary Club in Wyoming plays in an arboretum and praire area.

Thank you! Sounds good I usually get a couple of swings a year over to Marshfield to hit Brahm and North Wood. Have you played Eagle Pines yet? That is a new course by Almond, its still a little rough but getting better, its about 10 minutes from my house I just bought. I have about 10 acres and have started work on putting in my own course which you are welcome to come play sometime.

I will keep an eye on your thread as well and let you know what courses I played on my trip.

I played Eagle pines at the end of March. I liked it but definitely still a little rough around the edges. I just played Braem yesterday. It's only a couple blocks from me. And I would love to check your course out some time.

Yeah we are working on Eagle Pines, a kiosk, garbage cans, benches, signage and at least 10 concrete pads should be coming in the next couple of months. Let me know when you are over this way again and you can try out my course, it is still in its infancy and is still just target golf, I'm still looking for baskets.

Yeah we are working on Eagle Pines, a kiosk, garbage cans, benches, signage and at least 10 concrete pads should be coming in the next couple of months. Let me know when you are over this way again and you can try out my course, it is still in its infancy and is still just target golf, I'm still looking for baskets.

I'll definitely let you know when I'm over that way again. We'll be moving in June so it might not be until July. Hard to say for sure.

As for your trip, the Cedar Creek complex looks pretty fantastic. It's not SD or WY, but it's in southern MN and might be an option on the way there or back. 3 18 hole courses onsite. I've only heard good things about it.

I imagine you're flying into Rapid City. If so, the Jackson Park course is worth bagging on day 1 or on the last day before you fly out. You already got accurate advice about Spearfish Canyon and Pageant Hill when in the Black Hills region... I would add that you should go to Custer State Park and drive through, maybe hike in the Needles section of the park.

Driving to Yellowstone: Depends on if you're going the northern or southern route across WY. If North, there's two courses in Gillette. Might as well stretch your legs. If south, there's two courses in Casper... same thing. I would add to NOT miss Devil's Tower National Monument. Go there!!!

In terms of the courses in Yellowstone (several are listed)... just don't. Go see the geysers, bison, and wolves. You'll regret wasting 2-hours looking for teepads and objects to hit.

Have fun!
DSCJNKY

Thanks DSCJNKY, actually I'm driving out with a friend. Leaving central WI Thursday evening, planning on hitting first course in Pierre SD first thing Friday morning. Yeah it looks like all Yellowstone courses aren't worth the effort.

If you are driving from WI to SD/WY, you have to hit Big Sioux at some point on one of the drives west or east.
DSCJNKY

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I had a good trip, hitting 12 courses in 4 states. Diamond X is really spectacular, unfortunately I was playing with someone who is afraid of heights and we had drove over Beartooth Pass that day and his nerves were shot so we only played 8 holes and didn't get up on top of the canyon. Spearfish is a gnarly course that is in an interesting place. Pageant Hills is pretty sweet as is Powerhouse Alley.

Latest posts