• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe Question

Joemic

Par Member
Okay okay I know there are a million threads about shoes on this section of the forum, but I'm having a tough time finding something one that fits my question specifically. I'm looking for both a DG shoe and a cross-training shoe. I generally don't wear sneakers when dressed casually or in my day-to-day life. I just want a pair of shoes that I can use for DG and daily workouts (not running shoes, as I do more cardio training like Insanity).

New twist: All of the courses in my area are moderately to heavily wooded, so I need a pair of shoes that can withstand the potentially muddy, rocky, rugged terrain.

To sum things up, I basically need a trail/hiking shoe that can also be used as a cross-training shoe for cardio workouts (lots of cutting, some running, etc). If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it! I checked out some New Balance stuff, but everything I find seems to fit one bill or the other. Hopefully I don't just need two separate pairs of shoes.

The mud and elements aren't a huge deal. Any shoe with Gore-Tex should keep your feet protected.

Have you looked at trail running shoes? I know you said no running shoes, but it sounds like they're what you're describing. The soles on the Saloman Speedcross3 I've been wearing are so sticky it feels like I'm in a strip club bathroom when I walk the dog on sidewalks in the neighborhood. I can't wait to wear them on the course this weekend.

In another thread someone said they bought a pair of Vibram Spyridons and they have been using them for their workout shoes as well and loving it.

Trail running shoes will work, they aren't really running shoes like what you are thinking. They are more durable almost like a hiking shoe. I like the North Face Hedge Hogs and their XCRs, very durable but very comfortable almost like a cross trainer. Merell makes some good ones too.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a cross training shoe that could hold up to the rigorous Michigan disc golf shoe demands. If it could, I don't think I would want them anywhere but in the garage awaiting my next disc golf adventure. I am pretty sure there is some poison ivy on those suckers, somewhere.

x2 with the North Face XRCs. I've been wearing them for about 7 months on and off the course and been extremely happy. They see about 25-30 miles a week between DG and work. They are just now starting to show wear on the bottoms. Tons of grip, almost completely waterproof (they are low tops), and a very comfortable ride.

I have a good friend who actually wears the XRCs to run in daily. He likes the added durability over traditional running shoes. If it was me, I'd just buy a nice heavy duty pair of DG shoes that will last and a cheaper pair of trainers. Eastbay has great deals on "older" models of shoes.

I would think that trail running shoes would be the best bet for you if you want to get a single pair for both purposes. There's a ton of trail running shoes, some with Gore-Tex, some without.

I actually really like the green in these. Haven't tried the 2's on yet, but the original Trail Glove felt good at the store.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...ns/Barefoot-Run-Trail-Glove-2?recID=104983597

Here are the Spyridons:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Spyridon-Mens.htm

Here is the Speed XC. It has the Treksport sole.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-SpeedXC-Mens.htm

I play disc golf in my Bikilas and tiny rocks are about the only thing I ever feel. They have great traction except in major mud.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Bikila-Mens.htm

Thanks for all the help, guys! Way more options now than I found on my own haha. I ended up going with the Mix Master Waterproofs from Merrell, but if they don't fit I'll be right back here looking at the suggestions!

I gave those a few test rips in the store and found the rubber edge folded inward against my little toe. My last shoes that did this gave me blisters. I opted for the Merrell Proterra's instead -

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30885M/0/Mens/Proterra-Sport

No lugs to interfere with rotation, they have a plate under the heel and arch for walking on rocks, but it ends before the toes so your movement is not obstructed. The thing I noticed most was the open toe area and nothing bending IN to the foot, only out. These are NOT waterproof however, but due to the light topside materials, they dry very quickly. And they're a bit less $.

Check out Garmont, Vasque, Montrail, Patigonia, and possibly 5-10. It's a give and take. Garmonts might fit the bill the best. Light enough for running and can hold up pretty well for dome disc golf.

Look into some New Balance Minimus! I have a few pair and they are awesome I do everything from Crossfit, discgolft and even some trail running out in California. They are very light and also have a Vibram bottom. The best part is you can wash them as much as you want! If you have some extra cash pick some up. They are about 100 bucks but you can find older models for a little cheaper.

Yaaaaaay! another 5-10 convert. Best disc golf shoe out ther!
honestly more people should look into these style of shoe. they are meant to be beat up, the rubber on them is better than vibram. I wore mine out after several miles of hiking/scrambling and probably 300 rounds. they are still my yard shoes!! love them. the top of the shoe started to wear out from wedging it between rocks. if they were golf only shoes man they have to last a long time.