• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Played a course away from home....I've played the course twice before. Playing with two guys who know me well and one who I just met. Today, hole 4, 196 feet, I have to throw backhand (not my favorite) over the rightside of a tree. Everything goes right for me....great release, followed through, disc follows my intended line....HITS the basket and bounces away. I yell "YES!!!!!" as loud as I can, jumping up and down. High fives from my two friends, the other guy looks at me and says "you didn't ace it". I respond "Yes, but I HIT the basket!!!! I've never done that before anywhere! I've never come close to an ace and I almost had one!". Then he went along and gave me a double high five.

It was awesome. So close. It might not have been an ace, but the disc choice, the throw, the release, the flight was so perfect. Hours later....I'm still floating high from that near ace.

Yesterday, Bennetts Creek Suffolk Virginia several poke and hope wooded fairways, and a few swamp carries. #13 a swamp carry from the middle tee skipped one off of the log on the other side toward the basket, that was a first. #10 still ranks as my top most boring hole a long straight away open to the basket with nothing in between, except this time a young lady down fairway playing with her dog, without my glasses looked like she was wearing a skin color t-shirt. I waved to get her attention, she waved back for me to throw and I thought "oh, that's not a t-shirt", she was topless. My worst tee of the round managed my second passed her, as I passed by we exchanged hellos and a few passing words. She was pleasant, seemed full of life, and attractive. She reminded me of some of the young ladies I use to chat with on the beaches of Southern Europe.

Played sanctioned league yesterday and it was bad. I have trouble understanding why I can play a course very well by myself and the 'suck' playing with others. Same with going from field work to the course. I throw well in the field, or putting with my practice basket.....but get on the course and everything goes to crap. I still enjoy playing, I enjoy the company of my cardmates (mostly).....but I play like crap. Just totally inconsistent. Oh well, one day I might get my act together.

Played sanctioned league yesterday and it was bad. I have trouble understanding why I can play a course very well by myself and the 'suck' playing with others. Same with going from field work to the course. I throw well in the field, or putting with my practice basket.....but get on the course and everything goes to crap. I still enjoy playing, I enjoy the company of my cardmates (mostly).....but I play like crap. Just totally inconsistent. Oh well, one day I might get my act together.
Do you have a pre-shot routine that you use consistently. In ball golf I had a consistent pre-shot routine to where over time in tournaments it was the shrug of the shoulders when playing with others with the help of the routine. In disc golf I have a pre-shot routine but I don't seem to use it consistently,, I just don't seem to be in the habit of it yet. when I am using it I play better I tend to use it more when playing with others and most of the time I can play pretty good and other times I can suck when a course is busy and it can be a little bit backed up.

Do you have a pre-shot routine that you use consistently. In ball golf I had a consistent pre-shot routine to where over time in tournaments it was the shrug of the shoulders when playing with others with the help of the routine. In disc golf I have a pre-shot routine but I don't seem to use it consistently,, I just don't seem to be in the habit of it yet. when I am using it I play better I tend to use it more when playing with others and most of the time I can play pretty good and other times I can suck when a course is busy and it can be a little bit backed up.
I need to come up with something. It definitely has to do with playing with others. For example, before league started, I practiced my putting while they were putting the groups together. I was making my putts from my 'confidence' distance. Then the round started and I consistently missed left when putting from that same distance.

I need to come up with something. It definitely has to do with playing with others. For example, before league started, I practiced my putting while they were putting the groups together. I was making my putts from my 'confidence' distance. Then the round started, and I consistently missed left when putting from that same distance.
I would start with a pre-putting routine, that will drop your scores. I tend to consistently use my pre-putting routine compared to on the tee and fairway. My pre-putting routine changes from C1 to further out from the basket, based on momentum.

Playing with others. I don't mind conversation, it seems to relax me, I focus better, tend to use my pre-shot routine wanting to impress, and I play better. With friends or those I've played with before, easy enough. With first timer's I like to do a temperature check "have you played here before" and go from there, not everybody wants to chat. So, what is your comfort level, are you using yours with others, if not perhaps an adjustment, you could be interacting on their level, especially with someone who is annoying.

Tee, and fairway pre-shot routine is the same, I tend not to use it on courses I frequent, because I'm grabbing a disc before I reach the tee breaking my routine because I've seen it before a couple of hundred times. Courses I don't play as much or course bagging, I tend to use my routine consistently to study what's in front of me and then grab the decided disc and continue the routine and play better on them compared to the courses I frequent. Perhaps one of these days I'll learn to always use it on the home course, maybe tomorrow with the 15-20 mph wind around the water holes.

I had a discussion with my wife last night about my disc golfing issues and the suggestions I've gotten. She suggested that I see a sports psychologist and I started looking some up today. But when she woke up, she had another idea for me. See, I've told her that I play/throw well when I'm by myself and do poorly when I play with others. She thinks that I 'try to play their game' or just get distracted by them. I think she's onto something since the better my cardmates are, the worse I do.

So she gave me a mantra to use before every throw and putt. What Would Bill Do? Focus on what I would do in the situation, not what the other player(s) would do. I will be playing tomorrow, hopefully with some friends and I can give it a try. If not, I definitely will be using it on Sunday when I'm in a Putting league. Hopefully it is the breakthrough that I need. I even made up a card that sits in my mini marker pocket so I will see it when I pull out my mini marker.

Played Devou Park in northern Kentucky after work yesterday. I'm still working on my game and Devou is one of those courses that exposes those things that I really need to improve. There were a number of guys warming up when I arrived with nobody ahead, so I decided to jump ahead of them. Normally I spend about 15 minutes warming up and dialing in my putter, but I figured with limited time and an opportunity to play more holes I'd go for it.

I've learned to start slow and easy in these situations, so I played a nice, easy fairway driver about 200' followed by an easy approach shot and an easy par putt. I got to the 2nd feeling pretty positive. It's a par 4 up a steep hill. Not particularly long or difficult. With my limited game, I generally just settle for a landing on a flat part of the fairway, leaving a long but open second shot to the basket. Unfortunately my adrenaline must have been pumping after the opening par and I yanked it right and with a further kick I was buried in a maze of giant logs and brush. Re-teeing would have been my best option, but I figured my scramble game needs work too, so I bushwacked in. Six shots and 25 tree hits later I had a C2 put which I put about 10 feet over the basket and then missed the come-back putt for a 10.

I laughed it off and went on to have a decent round, picking up pars on most of the easier holes, making a couple of longer putts for par saves, and missing a few makable birdie putts. I didn't even get too annoyed by a 70' roll-away on #9, some loose brush on the fairway causing a kick into the woods on #15, or a bent basket spit-out of my last chance for birdie on #17. It was 58 degrees on November 9 and I was having fun. I enjoyed the sunset on the way back to the car and caught a great view of Cincinnati as I was driving home.

All in all a good day of disc golf.

Played Devou Park in northern Kentucky after work yesterday. I'm still working on my game and Devou is one of those courses that exposes those things that I really need to improve. There were a number of guys warming up when I arrived with nobody ahead, so I decided to jump ahead of them. Normally I spend about 15 minutes warming up and dialing in my putter, but I figured with limited time and an opportunity to play more holes I'd go for it.

I've learned to start slow and easy in these situations, so I played a nice, easy fairway driver about 200' followed by an easy approach shot and an easy par putt. I got to the 2nd feeling pretty positive. It's a par 4 up a steep hill. Not particularly long or difficult. With my limited game, I generally just settle for a landing on a flat part of the fairway, leaving a long but open second shot to the basket. Unfortunately my adrenaline must have been pumping after the opening par and I yanked it right and with a further kick I was buried in a maze of giant logs and brush. Re-teeing would have been my best option, but I figured my scramble game needs work too, so I bushwacked in. Six shots and 25 tree hits later I had a C2 put which I put about 10 feet over the basket and then missed the come-back putt for a 10.

I laughed it off and went on to have a decent round, picking up pars on most of the easier holes, making a couple of longer putts for par saves, and missing a few makable birdie putts. I didn't even get too annoyed by a 70' roll-away on #9, some loose brush on the fairway causing a kick into the woods on #15, or a bent basket spit-out of my last chance for birdie on #17. It was 58 degrees on November 9 and I was having fun. I enjoyed the sunset on the way back to the car and caught a great view of Cincinnati as I was driving home.

All in all a good day of disc golf.
Is Devou Park the course mentioned here a while back that kept getting vandalized? (namely the chains cut and baskets stolen.) Has the course hopefully recovered and that lunacy cooled off?

Is Devou Park the course mentioned here a while back that kept getting vandalized? (namely the chains cut and baskets stolen.) Has the course hopefully recovered and that lunacy cooled off?

That's the one! A few of the baskets were damaged shortly after the second round of vandalism (cutting the chains) and a few of the baskets are bent. Aside from that, the course is in really good shape and gets a fair amount of traffic. It's worth a stop if you are in town (Cincinnati) or coming to play Mt. Airy or Idlewild.

My company's US offices were closed for Veterans Day, but schools were open for the full day. My wife and I took advantage. Played a round at the Canyons in Lockport, IL. To my surprise, there was only one other car in the lot when we started (15+ when we finished). Did the full 27 from the whites and we both had a really good time.

She didn't keep score and I finished 6 over. Pretty happy with that result. I've probably scored a throw or two better, but the wind was pretty stiff at times which led to a few comically bad throws. I had a rough stretch on the first set of letter holes, but shook it off. Lots of stego upshots leading to pars. After the round, we grabbed lunch at a brewery on route 171 (formerly 66) in Lockport. Good times.

We were trying to figure out the last time she and I had played a round together sans kids. We eventually decided that it had to be our 5 year anniversary trip in 2015 when we got to play Holler in the Hills. Damn.

Oh man, don't I know this. My only solution is to play with the new people until the stress disappears.

Played a club doubles championship. My new partner and I had a blast. I was putting out of my mind hitting circle one putts consistently. We did not win officially, except that we both scored two personal records on the two rounds. We made the young guys on the card sweat getting the low score.

Played 18 at KLM in Hinsdale, IL with my boys.

I started off strong with a near ace on hole 1 where I made the long comebacker for 2. Had some birdies and some bogeys and was hovering around even through the end of the front 9. Had a couple bogeys early in the back 9 and then things went off the rails after 14 (as they often do for me). 15 was my nemesis even before they moved the tee farther back and closer to the fence. I just don't have an answer for that hole. I took a bogey on 15 and doubles on 16 and 18. I'm going to use the pulling the cart tired me out excuse for that stretch.

The boys were throwing well and having fun (when they weren't getting on each other's nerves). Fall is my favorite dg season and today was a nice fall day.

Got a hot round at Etowah league today -6 with two bogies. Played pretty good, the new hole 20 out there is a rough one.

I could confidently hit putts over 20 feet from the first time in a month today.

24 over at Idlewild. I know that's not very impressive, but it was my best ever score there. I did leave some strokes out there as I missed a handful of easier C1 putts.

Played a new course. David W. Barger on Mossy Creek in Jefferson City, TN. Pretty solid course. I played two loops of 18, but it would pair nice with one of the Morristown courses.

Shot a +3 the first time. Missed some putts that I normally make, had a bad rollaway, and my disc/line didn't work a few times. Which is normal for a first play for me.

Played 18 again and shot a -5. It might be my only time I've ever played a bogey-free 18 holes. It rated a 209 on udisc's system, which probably isn't anything special, but my first time over 200.

Got a PB at Tommy Shumpert short to short layout today. This year, I've gotten a pair of -3's and five -2's. It is frustrating because I've gotten to -4 a few times and then gave up strokes towards the end of the round. I'm at -5 thru 14, get pars on 15 and 16 which are probably the 2 toughest holes for me. I'm cruising from here. I start thinking about getting to -6 or -7. I throw a bad drive on 17, scramble to a 30 footer for par, then get 2 bad rollaways and can an uphill 35 footer for double bogey. Back to -3. Sigh. This again. But I throw a good drive on 18 and make a 25 footer to get a pb.