• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Got out for a bagging trip for the first time in a while. 9 courses, 103 holes, 33,000 feet. Actually had some decent rounds, which sometimes doesn't happen when I'm just playing fast. Several near-misses on pitch n putts and also scared the chains on a 380', which I've never done.

44 degrees and gusty felt really warm today. Had a good round at KLM with my boys. With no clock on us, we took our time (letting a few groups play through) and enjoyed the day. I was even coming into 15/16 (my nemesis), pulled a 3 out of my arse on 15, but 5'd 16. Par 3 on 17 and a tap in 3 on 18 for a 56*.

One of my better scoring rounds out there in years. Possibly tops since holes 13 - 14 were relocated and 15's tee was moved to make room for an athletic field a few years ago. Both of my sons were throwing well and having fun.

*For my game there are a few tweeners at KLM, but 18 is the only one I play as a par 4. Definitely a soft 4, but there are three, maybe four, other holes (that I play as 3s) where I can't reach circle two.

Sunny upper 30s in Minnesota. No snow. Actual performance is gravy.

About the only thing working today was the Bard. Gave myself a lot of stress free pars with this disc today.

28F with a windchill of 4F when I started my round. The temperature climbed to a comfortable 40F by the time I finished, but the wind was tough. I put up one of the worst scores in a long while, but was generally happy with how I played considering the conditions and it was good to be throwing discs in mid-February.

Pretty good. My kids were tearing it up though. My 9 year old had plenty of 3s playing from the shorts at Starved Rock today and his older brother had a deuce on a 275' downhill hole. Fun in abundance.

Had a few sick days and kind of windy too, so it was a bit of struggle. Sometimes if I have time I go back and replay as many holes as I can and try to improve my score. Really had no shots I felt proud of. This is outside of Chicago.

Have I ever played disc golf before? Didn't look that way over the weekend at the Creekside Open.

Should have paid more attention to the roster because THE Barry Schultz won MP40. But it was like start at 8, finish by 11 and he would have started at like 1.

Had a nice windy round yesterday. Got out to Whiteford-StoneCo in Whiteford Michigan. The course plays particularly nasty in the wind, pretty much surrounded by a mixture of farmland and quarries, and not very wooded itself.

Met up with my buddy Evan who drove down from Ypsi, and played some Nassau $1-$1-$1. By coincidence our friend Max showed up and joined us (also by coincidence - I think the only person in our local disc golf scene who ran in high school with both of us, though Evan and I didn't run in the same years ever).

Had a pretty sound round of golf. Shot a 61. UDisc calls it a 204, which I think is similar to a 900, but UDisc wasn't out there in the wind yesterday lol. Still, not a fantastic round, probably wasn't really close to 950. 930 range? I did miss a few putts that even in the wind I shouldn't be missing, and I threw a few shots out of bounds going a bit too aggressive on the longest par 3's on the course, which both have peninsula greens. I was happy though, in both cases, to manage to push the OB on the deep side. Good for this early in the season.

Even more positive was a total comfort with the forehand. I hurt the shoulder pretty bad last season and spent months at a time resting it, breaking it out only for a couple of weekends, and it was sore throughout. I've been making sure to stretch it and really work on extending range of motion and useful range of motion this winter. It was still sore the first few times out recently, but I think it was just knocking rust off of the shot as I only played a few rounds from the start of November through end January. No pain, no soreness, no stiffness, feels great today.

I definitely took some time after the round to get in a stretch and do a few different lighter-weight lifts with bar and dumbbells to try to bring everything back together. I'm going to try to keep that going.

First ever DG tournament on Saturday. 28F with a windchill in the single digits at the start. Warmed up a bit, but the wind continued to howl. I had one goal - not completely embarrass myself. Only had one really bad hole, trying to make hero shots from horrible positions.

Went out yesterday to get some throws in. Played pretty well, but ran into a six-some ahead of a five-some and decided to call it a day. Decided on my way home to stop and play my favorite par 2 course and had a fun time (including putting a 20 foot putt about 25 feet OB, without rolling).

For the limited number of birdies I got today at Knoch Knoll. They counted. Today, it was with a Rollo, and an 80' Berg fh throw-in . And an Alien, with a Yeti from deep c1x.
It was really windy, and when I fell apart. It was the silly mistake kind.

Not a single basket. They had all been removed, and I had not checked. Just threw the disc around a bit. lol

Played in rain, mud and wind this weekend in Oviedo, Spain. Absolutely terrible conditions at a treacherous course, slipping and sliding up and down hills.

It was incredibly fun, I played with some amazing girls and took down the W despite not playing up to my standards. I'd really recommend the course, as long as you don't go there in pouring rain and wind. I'm reliably informed that these were the worst conditions any tournament has been played at over there.

Really need to work on downhill putts.

Two rounds and a very windy morning at Eagle Ridge. +6, and a +2.
First day with the 150 gram Terns, and Orc. First round with the soft pro-line Aviar. It's grabby, and dies on contact.

Body was not doing well this weekend, but did get out to the yard for some putting practice on Saturday. Felt a little better on Sunday so got in a few holes at Idlewild before the clinic. Thought I had my first ever birdie on #21 (tournament #17) only to have my putt sneak through the chains. Clinic was great and I got a little form help that I'm looking forward to working on.

Played pretty well for a small bag in the rain at a new course. Got attacked by a goose, that was fun.

Played 2 rounds on Sunday. Played The Claytons shorts, didn't have my best stuff at all, hit long putts for birdie in 15 and 18 to get to even par in a round that looked like it was going to be 4 or 5 over. My best is -1. So that is a success.

Then I went over to Tommy Schumpert and played short to short. Blasted first available on Hole 3, was too aggressive and took a double. Managed to par a couple of holes, then birdied 8-11 to get to -2. Bled a shot on 12, then hit first available and doubled 17 to finish +1, so that was disappointing. I hit at least six puts from 30 feet plus at Claytons, then missed 5 that had a good chance to go in at Tommy.

The last 2 years, I've really been focused on playing safe and minimizing blow ups. Now I'm at the point where I want to push the envelope so I'm playing a lot more aggressive and seeing a lot more doubles and 3 putts and things of that nature. But at least per uDisc, my scores aren't suffering that much, so I guess that is progress.

I played 2 rounds over the weekend. One at Hudson Mills, where I shot a pretty darn good -5 on the Monster, and one at Rolling Hills where I shot a pretty meh -1 on the OG. Usually I shoot a lot better at Rolling Hills, because it's a lot of turnover woods golf, but I just wasn't getting the timing right on my Comets, and a lot of other shots were experimenting with new molds. It was a lot of birdie bogey birdie bogey golf, I just happened to get the last birdie.

I've been playing at River's Edge in Waite Park MN the last few weeks as it's close to were I live. Usually I don't start throwing until April but with the "non winter" winter central MN has had I've gotten a head start on my disc golf for the year.

Today was the first round I played without using my heavy "stomper" winter boots because of how muddy the course has been the last few weeks. I have been just doing 4 disc rounds just to knock off the winter rust. I managed my best round of 2024 today by 2 strokes while still feeling I missed 3 putts I should've made.

I really enjoy these limited disc rounds as it forces me to try different lines or see if I can use less disc's because I have the skills to work fewer discs to do the same thing.

Latest posts