• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Something between an Eagle and a Firebird

Keller

* Ace Member *
Looking for something a little more stable than an Eagle but not as beefy as a firebird in Star type plastic. Basically looking for a more useable utility disc for an old noodle arm.

My Eagles are my No1 fairway (both FH and BH), but in brisk head winds they don't hold up all that well and a Firebird is pointless at my arm speed. For reference, I'm 60 and throw around 330ft with DX Teebirds being my distance drivers.

Tried a Thunderbird and hated the feel, have an EXP-X but me and Champ type plastic don't blend. Have a G* Firebird that is ok, but I can't get decent forehand rollers with it. Have a few Star Orcs, they're ok but not quiet right either.

Was thinking maybe an OLF?

Yes, an OLF is probably what you want, especially if the firebird feels good in your hand. As well, the domier star FBs are not quite as OS as the flat champs. My guess is that the roller issue would be solved with a stiffer blend.

The Barsby eagles are stupid stable if you like the smaller rim.

Have you tried a Banshee, to me its the same feel as an eagle but is more OS. There are super OS runs of eagles out there too if you can track them down. There was a run of flat, stiff and opaque ones that were really OS and the Barsbys that I have thrown have also been decently OS

Could look a Scepter or Sabertooth, both are in that ballpark and throw like you are describing for me. Maybe the Lone Star Mad Cat as well.

EXP-X basically is a Banshee.

What bugs you about the Thunderbird? Same FB rim and all that (I don't remember which top or if it's a new piece).

I'd check out an OLF. FB bottom, Wraith top. Very Eagle like...the common comparison was PD=Teebird OLF=Eagle. I threw them for years and honestly don't have a good reason why I stopped. Anybody that throws them will praise from the rooftops.

EXP-X basically is a Banshee.

What bugs you about the Thunderbird? Same FB rim and all that (I don't remember which top or if it's a new piece).

I'd check out an OLF. FB bottom, Wraith top. Very Eagle like...the common comparison was PD=Teebird OLF=Eagle. I threw them for years and honestly don't have a good reason why I stopped. Anybody that throws them will praise from the rooftops.

My guess is that the top is different than the OLF.

My recommendation is to find a OS Eagle. They're out there.

Again, I can't throw champion type plastic, I just can't get a good grip on it.

I had a pro Shop star Banshee a few years ago, loved it and lost it, so I tried the EXP-X, but it's champ, and well, I hate champion plastic.

Thunderbird is too shallow.

I'll probably just try an OLF then. Not interested in searching for any obscure runs of disc. Just want something off the shelf.

Do it! Had I not already invested in Thunderbirds recently I'd absolutely go back to OLFs. Hell, I'm tempted to sell them off and switch at a slight loss:)

My guess is that the top is different than the OLF.

My recommendation is to find a OS Eagle. They're out there.

No disrespect but of course it's a different top. Otherwise it'd be the same mold

No disrespect but of course it's a different top. Otherwise it'd be the same mold

lol. HoW DaRe YoU DiSrESPect mE!

I should have continued my thought and mentioned that even with the same shared bottom piece, the top piece may make the OLF and Thunderbird feel different, hence his dislike for the Thunderbird feel.

I've thrown the OLF, PD, Firebird, and Thunderbird. Might be placebo effect, but I do think there is some nuance in feel between them due to the top pieces being different. I ended up liking the OLF and PD more than the Thunderbird. Who knows, maybe it's my imagination.

Another possible recommendation is the Vulture. There are some flippy ones but they are little faster than the Eagle and there are some more OS out there.

I had a pro Shop star Banshee a few years ago, loved it and lost it, so I tried the EXP-X, but it's champ, and well, I hate champion plastic.

If you like the Banshee but don't like Champ plastic, Neutron Resistor is a good option. I switched from Ch. Banshee to N Resistor with little to no adjustment. If you are not familiar with MVP, Neutron is a Star-type (opaque) premium plastic with pretty good grip.

Another option is to cycle DX Banshees. They hold up for a decent length of time, and then turn into short Teebirds. :rolleyes:

Good luck, fellow old guy.

The swirly stiff star Barsby Eagles or the multi-color INNfuse Star Eagle Xs should be acquirable.

Lighter weight Star FB maybe?

SOLF/MOLF probably won't be more OS unless you don't get them up to speed. Latest runs aren't OS and probably won't hold up to headwinds enough for you. Track down a 1.4 SOLF near max weight and you might get the in between FB/Eagle flight until it beats in.

Discmania's 2nd tooling of the FD2 in S-line was supposedly very OS and Eagle like. Unlikely to see new runs but may come out in a different Innova produced lineup.

The swirly stiff star Barsby Eagles or the multi-color INNfuse Star Eagle Xs should be acquirable.

Lighter weight Star FB maybe?

SOLF/MOLF probably won't be more OS unless you don't get them up to speed. Latest runs aren't OS and probably won't hold up to headwinds enough for you. Track down a 1.4 SOLF near max weight and you might get the in between FB/Eagle flight until it beats in.

Haven't been able to find a Barsby or infused in heavier weights. Maybe down the road when they make another run.

I'm a noodle arm, so no, I can't get the S-OLF up to speed, that's why I thought it might work. 1.4's are available, so I'll order one of them.

I tried the lighter Firebird route, got a 156gr Star and it's a meathook! I can't throw it 200ft:p. My 170gr Champ is more workable.

Haven't been able to find a Barsby or infused in heavier weights. Maybe down the road when they make another run.

I'm a noodle arm, so no, I can't get the S-OLF up to speed, that's why I thought it might work. 1.4's are available, so I'll order one of them.

I tried the lighter Firebird route, got a 156gr Star and it's a meathook! I can't throw it 200ft:p. My 170gr Champ is more workable.

As a fellow noodle arm and a fan of the eagle, I recommend a heavy 1.4 OLF. I throw that disc as my longer Firebird

FD3, Raptor, PD, Felon. Flare, or Fireball

I believe all should be less stable than the average Firebird. Maybe not in all plastics, but i think all are good options to try.

Flare is definitely more stable than a Firebird.

If you're looking for Thunderbird type flight, but don't like the way it feels in the hand, consider the discmaniac run of color glow Fd3. They're very pricey, but they feel like a Firebird and fly like a Thunderbird.

You could also just beat in a Felon, or even get an Opto-X Convict.

Ok so flame me if they are oop but what about an FL? That's the firebird with a smoother lip, like a firebird is eagle x bottom and an FL is the eagle L bottom.

I owned one resistor, it was a meathook.. More of a Tesla guy myself (any plastic except plasma!).. But people do seem to love resistors.

Last edited:

Latest posts