• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Southern Cal courses

discgolfaholic

Bogey Member
I am going to Lake Forest to visit some friends. I am going to play La mirada for sure what other courses would you suggest?

I got most of the trip planned now. Is Chavez Ridge worth playing. I am thinking of taking the 14 back home. I have played Sylmar and oak grove before. I would not mind playing either again but If chavez ridge is worth going to I have never played it.

I am leaving Tuesday 4/26 and returning Thursday 4/28. It is a short trip but this is my first time getting 3 days off in week in a long time. I am excited to play some perment courses.

Ahh too early for Wrightwood, I haven't played it yet, but I hear its awesome.

If you are going to hit up La Mirada, you might just want to hit Huntington Beach, then El Dorado, then La Mirada since you've already played OG and Sylmar (those are my two favs in the Greater LA area). Also those three are all pretty close and could save you a lot of time avoiding LA traffic. I haven't played Chavez yet, so I don't know if its worth it or not.

I have also heard good things about the Shark Tooth Mountain Course in Bakersfield. I haven't played that, but i did play the other course, Suicide Flats, and while it wasn't anything special, its not bad when paired with another course.

Last edited:
You should play CENTER CITY @ GOAT HILL. It is the best course near Lake Forest, and anybody who disagrees clearly has not played it yet. Its only about a half hour from South OC.

La Mirada should be on your list for sure. The others mentioned above, like Huntington Beach and El Dorado are OK, but they are like flatter, weaker versions of La Mirada. HB is packed to the gills constantly, so if you like crowds, check it out.

Roadtripstuff advised the Bakersfield courses, but in my opinion, 2 1/2 hours is quite a ways to drive to play those courses. I mean, they are good, but if you are going to drive that far, go to Lake Casitas.

Chavez would not be a good idea to play this time of year, unless of course you like finding discs in weeds that exceed 8 feet tall. Other times of the year, it is one of my favorites.

Oh, and the 1st 9 at Wrightwood are allegedly set up year round. Still, missing the other 18 holes would be a shame.

Last edited:
You should play GOAT HILL @ CENTER CITY. It is the best course near Lake Forest, and anybody who disagrees clearly has not played it yet. Its only about a half hour from South OC.

Roadtripstuff advised the Bakersfield courses, but in my opinion, 2 1/2 hours is quite a ways to drive to play those courses. I mean, they are good, but if you are going to drive that far, go to Lake Casitas.

Chavez would not be a good idea to play this time of year, unless of course you like finding discs in weeds that exceed 8 feet tall. Other times of the year, it is one of my favorites.

That course looks awesome!

I think he is coming and going from Mammoth Lakes, so its really only about an hour maybe and hour or so out of the way if he hits it on the way to or from.

Also, don't forget about:

OAK GROVE - The first fixed pin course ever ever. Course-wise, its a pretty typical, mostly flat, wooded course.

&

VETERANS PARK - Steve Rico's personal course on public land. Probably the best wooded course in the LA area (a bit far from South OC, though). Provides a challenging wooded experience with some descent elevation. Each hole has personality.

So, in my opinion, based on distance and awesomeness from Lake Forest:

LA MIRADA (about a half hour)
CENTER CITY (about a half hour)
SYLMAR (about an hour and a half)
OAK GROVE (about an hour)

And honestly, I put La Mirada first because it has more street cred. If it was me, I would go to Center City first.

^Roadtripstuff, I don't know if you know your way around California, but Bakersfield is in no way "on the way" to or from Mammoth Lakes. You would have to swoop all the way down to Palmdale then work your way north to get up there. In the end, it would still be a 2 1/2 hour drive down to Lake Forest from there. The other route, over Tioga Pass in Yosemite, is closed.

^Roadtripstuff, I don't know if you know your way around California, but Bakersfield is in no way "on the way" to or from Mammoth Lakes. You would have to swoop all the way down to Palmdale then work your way north to get up there. In the end, it would still be a 2 1/2 hour drive down to Lake Forest from there. The other route, over Tioga Pass in Yosemite, is closed.

I just google mapped it. 7 hours 20 minutes going to Bakersfield. 6 hours 3 minutes not going to Bakersfield.

Google map
Google Map

He's already played OG and Sylmar.

Last edited:
^Fair enough, but I would pay money to see somebody get from Mammoth Lakes to Bakersfield over that mountain pass in under 9 hours. The more intuitive route is to take 395 -> 14 -> 58. Google says its about the same time but it takes much longer to go over the mountain.

Nonetheless, if the OP is willing to make that detour, remember that the two Hart Park courses take an entire day to play. They are both extremely long, and the mountain course is particularly rugged. Totally worth it though!

^Fair enough, but I would pay money to see somebody get from Mammoth Lakes to Bakersfield over that mountain pass in under 9 hours. The more intuitive route is to take 395 -> 14 -> 58. Google says its about the same time but it takes much longer to go over the mountain.

Nonetheless, if the OP is willing to make that detour, remember that the two Hart Park courses take an entire day to play. They are both extremely long, and the mountain course is particularly rugged. Totally worth it though!

Good point, I didn't even think about it being through the mountains. I had just mapped the route and thought about the courses I had played.

Also, how much would you pay? Haha.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to defiantly check out Goat hill. Driving around a cart while playing will be worth the money. I will check out the Bakersfield courses later this year. I have to go through Bakersfield anyways until Tioga pass opens if I am going to visit my parents in Fresno. I am going to play in my first tournament on Tuesday at La Mirada; Going to meet one of my college roommates for it. I am stoked for warm weather and some real courses. It has been snowing here all week.

I live in Mammoth Lakes and Bakersfield isn't that terrible of a detour to and from LA. Northbound you take the 5/99 to Bakersfield and take the 178 past Lake Isabella to get back to the 14. This spits you out on the 14 about 40 miles north of Mojave. The Hart park courses are very close to the 178. They are worth playing if you haven't hit them before.

I am leaving Tuesday 4/26 and returning Thursday 4/28. It is a short trip but this is my first time getting 3 days off in week in a long time. I am excited to play some perment courses.

Just so you know, the Tahoe courses are far better than the courses you get in LA and are only a couple of hours away. Easily doable as a day trip. Turtle Rock is fully melted out now and is only a 2 hour and 10 minute drive. That goes down to 2 hours flat once Monitor pass opens.

I've heard all sorts of awesomesaucenesses about the Tahoe area courses but I've never played that area yet.

OTOH, I know that it takes ~5+ hours to get to Sac from LA, so it's really not in striking distance unless you've got a Lear at your disposal.

For So Cal, I'd recommend La Mirada (two courses!) and Chavez for the experience of playing 18 holes across 45-degree slopes. The foliage isn't as bad as danger made it out to be, this per at least two people here who played it last wkend.

Too bad you can't stay longer - the Chain Gang's gonna be out @ La Ma on Sunday :D

Latest posts