• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting Out With 150g

Balamor

Hi. This is my first post. I am starting out as a beginner, using all 150g discs as I bought the innova starter kit.

I was wondering how will I know when its time to get heavier discs? Should I only use one weight or can I mix them?

What are the advantages of using heavier discs? Do they go farther?

Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I started the exact same way 12 months ago. I knew it was time to move up when I could make my 150s go right (turnover for RHBH) at will. Normally the disc will want to go left naturally.

Heavier disc are more wind resistant, so if you play in tornado alley, you might want a couple of heavyweights sooner.

Last edited:
Heavier discs do not go farther...but they are more consistent throw to throw (and disc to disc when buying them new...disc variation is a whole topic that players get in to when they buy a lot of discs...). As well heavier discs aren't thrown around by wind as much.

Basically the beginner set you have should be the easiest discs to throw straight and they aren't as tolerant of bad throw angles or wind. A more advanced/higher arm speed player may prefer heavier weight and less glide because they have the ability to throw hard/far, and they want the disc to land where they want. For example, is it easier to toss a balled up piece of paper into a trash can across the room or a small rock? If you can easily throw a certain distance, then predictability is the factor you want.

Most people with normal strength/no injuries stay in the 165-175g range. But lighter discs do go farther. It can be typical for players to throw heavier putters (don't float weird in wind), and midranges (consistency), and have their max range drivers sub-160g. Most high level players stick around 170g or more though.

for me, I started with the Innova Champion starter pack as well, but as I eventually lost those discs, I replaced them all with 175ish discs. no particular reason, I just bought discs at the store that looked appropriate for me. I've only really been taking the sport more seriously in about the last year, but I've just started experiencing with discs in the low 150s up until discs around 160. It's been somewhat of a regulation for me. I do think I've made some improvements in my form, which has been a factor as well, but I'm throwing noticeably further since I've switched back to the lighter discs. I'm usually more of a speed 9 guy, but I got a starlite tern that I can get to fly pretty straight before hyzering out...i can't get heavier terns to sit up without a head wind. As has been mentioned, lighter discs are definitely more susceptible to wind, but my home course isn't that windy. I still haven't really tried lighter mids or putters, but I've really enjoyed the lighter fairways and distance drivers a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm using heavier putters and midranges, but fairway drivers and upwards are 150-class cause I'm too weak.

I keep a couple 150 class and low 160s in my bag for non windy days and pure distance shots. I don't know if there is a time to move to heavier weights exactly, but I'd recommend getting one around 165. I personally only carry max weight putters, mids close to 175 and drivers I like to keep around 170. I have one max weight driver for windy days. Lighter putters(under 165) are super susceptible to wind and I wouldn't really recommend to anyone who doesn't have injuries that inhibit throwing above that weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joking but only kind of...

Don't worry about it. If you are like most people as you get in to the sport your going to start buying a bunch of different discs soon enough. Throw them all to see how they fly and read as much as you can in this and the form critique sub forums.

There's players out there throwing 1000+ rated rounds with full light plastic setups, so you don't necessarily have to move up if you want to keep improving. In all honesty though, there's not as wide of a selection in the lower weight spectrum. Eventually, your curiosity will win out whether you're physically ready or not.

Hi. This is my first post. I am starting out as a beginner, using all 150g discs as I bought the innova starter kit.

I was wondering how will I know when its time to get heavier discs? Should I only use one weight or can I mix them?

What are the advantages of using heavier discs? Do they go farther?

Thanks!

I'm only a little bit ahead of you. I echo some of the other comments that when you can turn them all over, it might be time to add to your collection. You won't outgrow them though. For example, with no wind or downwind, my lightest driver is still my longest disc.

All of my discs are around 167-168g. There are so many discs, plastics and weights, so I decided to remove a variable. My game has enough issues where disc weight is far down the list.

One big factor is comfort in throwing. If you try throwing 170s discs and they feel "too heavy," then back off. Smaller folks in general tend to do better with light weights because they can get them up to speed a little easier. My wife definitely does better with lighter stuff, and kids are the same. For me, with a background in some throwing sports, it feels more natural/comfortable to throw something with some weight. My lightest discs are in the upper 160s, but most of my drivers are closer to 174-175. I'm sure I'm losing 10-20 feet here and there, but the comfort factor and little bit of added consistency seem well worth it. (That's basically what slowplastic said) I also play in windy areas, so the wind resistance is appreciated.

Your throwing style (FH/BH/overhand) makes a difference too. I'm about a 50/50 backhand/forehand type of guy. If I threw more backhand, I might have lighter discs in my bag. But weightier discs seem particularly beneficial for forehand throws, so that's another reason I like heavier weights.

Last edited:
If I could force a drill on beginners who want to take this game seriously, I would tell them to purchase a stack of discs, ranging from the lightest understable discs to the heaviest overstable discs. And tell them..."Start with the lightest disc. When you can release it on a slight hyzer and it flips over and goes to the right, move on to the next disc."

DiscFifty,

Got to slightly disagree with that approach. You can force over a disc and/or use OAT to make it less stable. So simply gauging your progress by whether a disc turns can be misleading.

I think this train of thought causes people to give up understable discs as they progress resulting in form flaws in order to get the more stable discs to fly how they want. I am a case in point on this. I have recently backed off the higher speed stuff and started throwing my understable stuff more regularly and pushing them out there farther and farther by imparting more spin and cleaner release.

My 168 GL River is a disc that I used to have to always power down on and hyzer flip to keep it from turning and burning. With better form and imparting more spin with the snap I am pushing it out much further with less hyzer required.

Don't mean to take away from your suggestion as in general you will step up to heavier and more stable discs as your arm speed increases.

DiscFifty,

Got to slightly disagree with that approach. You can force over a disc and/or use OAT to make it less stable. So simply gauging your progress by whether a disc turns can be misleading.

That's why the "release on hyzer" part is essential. And forcing a disc over and oat are totally different problems to address. And the main reason people even develop those bad habits in the first place is due to using way too overstable discs as they learn the game.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is really helpful!

That's why the "release on hyzer" part is essential. And forcing a disc over and oat are totally different problems to address. And the main reason people even develop those bad habits in the first place is due to using way too overstable discs as they learn the game.

If you're going to stand there and watch the entire progression from light/understable to heavy/overstable, that would be a fine method. However, like atison said, turning discs over is easy with bad form. I'm thinking that a lot of newish players would benefit from the opposite drill: start at the other end and don't progress until you can make the disc hold a hyzer.

If you're going to stand there and watch the entire progression from light/understable to heavy/overstable, that would be a fine method. However, like atison said, turning discs over is easy with bad form. I'm thinking that a lot of newish players would benefit from the opposite drill: start at the other end and don't progress until you can make the disc hold a hyzer.

Depends on the player, the seriousness about learning the sport. Typically new players given overstable discs tend to torque the hell out of it, trying to make it flex out to get some distance. Throw understable at first, learn to hyzer release early on. Once the muscle memory sets in, that anny flex / torque release is hard to change. lol..

btw..of course I didn't make these tips up, pro after pro has said the same thing. Watch Simon & Eagle's clinics on youtube. ;)

Depends on the player, the seriousness about learning the sport. Typically new players given overstable discs tend to torque the hell out of it, trying to make it flex out to get some distance. Throw understable at first, learn to hyzer release early on. Once the muscle memory sets in, that anny flex / torque release is hard to change. lol..

btw..of course I didn't make these tips up, pro after pro has said the same thing. Watch Simon & Eagle's clinics on youtube. ;)

What's the point of progressing if you can already throw an understable disc correctly?

What's the point of progressing if you can already throw an understable disc correctly?

Not sure what your point is, granted there is the occasional player who can throw hyzer from the start and turn over everything, but that is rare and at that point I would hope someone would recognize his natural talent and get a pro mentoring him or her very quickly.

But for the typical new player, it's simply better to start with lighter, understable discs so they learn to throw the hyzer early on which is the most natural release to throw a disc. And from there progression is made by slowly moving up to more stable, heavier discs.

having a good mentor is probably more important than picking the correct weight and stability. I was self taught from the beginning and I can't help but think about all the wasted time I spent practicing the wrong fundamentals