• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swing Thoughts - tell me them

Lately, I try to keep 3 things in mind: elbow (keep it out, not down/floppy), late turn (after the 2nd step has settled, not just as it touches), and (most important) delay the swing (don't start just as the plant foot touches).

I have a hard time feeling the weight settle into my plant and the shift from behind (or rather, when I think about them my whole upper body form goes to hell). So I find "artificial" ways to create delay, like pushing the shoulder out and also "over" coiling. The "late turn" is really part and parcel of delaying the swing, but I find it helpful to think about it as a discrete thing.

When I get all this right, I'm driving better than ever. But it's hard and still inconsistent, as I sometimes lose concentration or have tightness and my natural inclination is always pushing me to do everything too soon.

Step to the end of the pad. Visualize the flight (including ground play). Find the apex of that flight. Focus on that as the target. Back up to the end of the pad. Execute.

I play best when my only "swingthought" is keeping my eye on the target as long as possible, and continuing visualizing it when my shoulders turn my head back.
This almost exactly but at the time of Execute I am thinking SMOOOOTH. Sometimes out loud from the back of the teepad. "Just be smooth"

Swing thoughts.
Hmm

"dont throw like seabass, dont throw like seabass, dont throw like seabass. OMG, WTF Richard."

When I am nervous/unsure about my technique on a given day, I will think about the different things I want to achieve in my form like counterbalancing with the leg, keeping my arm down and so on. These thoughts have not yet produced a good throw, but I cant shake them off. Sometimes when players have an unnatural looking swing I feel like they follow that some line of thought.

Other times I might focus on a certain feel in a throw. Throwing steep hyzers for example will produce a lot of force against the ground in my plant leg, and it actually helps to focus on a certain feel for a throw.

Generally I will focus on aiming at some object to swing at. This is my usual swing thought, just swing it at a thing and the disc will hit its intended line. This one also coincides with thinking about angles and to a lesser degree height, however in the actual swing I dont think about throwing a hyzer/anhyzer and so on as my body will do that for me.

The best swings are when I step up to the tee, and get the feeling of throwing a disc on a certain line I see in that moment. That kind of swing thought is really spontaneous but also produces the best results even though it is really not thought through.

Latest posts