• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Sword vs Boatman

Shapers

Par Member
I'm currently using only TeeBirds as my drivers right now. I can get them to 360'-400' on a good throw. However, I tend to throw them really flat and low, so I might be able to get closer to the 400' than the 360' on a higher throw. You can see my bag in my signature, and the Firebird is there for the occasional FH or OH. The Roadrunner is for rollers, and a few hyzer flips etc.

I'm looking for a longer TeeBird, as I'm able to do almost everything with them as long as I've got a new one and one that's beat in. Would the Sword or the Boatman from Westside be a good choice? Or do you recommend other brands? Please include which plastic too :) I'll probably get them in anything from 167-173 grams.
Thanks! :hfive:

The Sword is more neutral and will get some S turns with fade. I like the Destroyer or a Trespass better than the Sword. The Boatman is definitely an overstable driver in my opinion. The Boatman is a great disc, but for me it's just a headwind driver, a hyzer disc, or a strong fading disc. Personally I throw a Boatman into the wind, a Halo or Havoc for most wide open distance holes, and a Destroyer when I feel like throwing Innova.

If you're looking for a longer Teebird, I recommend a C-line PD. It's not quite as fast as a Boatman (PD is speed 10 and the Boatman is speed 11) and definitely a little shorter than a Sword/Destroyer/Trespass. It flies nice and straight with a heavy fade.

Ah, the quest for the elusive "longer Teebird"! I would say you are really on the right track with the Sword. I personally bag a Sword and used to throw Teebirds, so I would say they have a very similar flight, yet the Sword is faster and thus generally longer. I have not thrown a Boatman, but looking at the flight on the Inbounds flight guide, it seems to have the same amount of turn (none) and fade (+40) as a Teebird. As for plastic, I would go with a VIP for the Sword, as I have a TP that has beaten some turn into it. You may also want to check out a Trespass too, for me it's a little more stable than a Sword when they get comparatively beaten in.

The Sword is good, Boatman is not quite the same. The Discmania DD Hysteria is a pretty darn good "longer Teebird" as well.

I haven't thrown the Sword, but I've thrown the Boatman a few times. I feel like it's a longer Teebird with a touch more glide. My buddy's favorite disc is the Teebird, and he describes the Boatman as a longer Teebird for him. I suggest VIP plastic as it will keep its stability longer and it's still pretty grippy.

If a Boatman is a longer Teebird, it would be one of the more overstable champ birds. The Sword is not as HSS as a Teebird IMO.

Sword is more like a Wraith. Boatman reminds me more of a Starfire or a Z Avenger. definitely different discs. Boatman may fit your needs more.

But the real problem is the whole "Quest for the longer TeeBird". The TeeBird will fly as far as you want. You don't really need a longer one. You may want a faster one (it will cover the same distance on a lower line). The Boatman/Starfire/Z Avenger type discs do this well when new. they just don't beat in the same way the old TB does. the TB tends to beat into a laser straight disc. the newer faster models tend to beat into S flight discs. Just how it goes.

Latest posts