• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tearing up left toe on shoes, advice?

nolzwin

I throw LHFH so I drag my left toe when I drive. since it's the very tip almost top of the shoe, the sole almost doesn't come into play. I ordered this thing from dick's sporting goods for pitchers called a toe guard. With mediocre results. I tried throwing with my work boots with some success. And I have tried not dragging my foot but that messes with my accuracy. Any ideas guys?

Not many options.. don't drag your toe, or try to stock up on left shoes.

I did this when I threw FH, until I realized I went through a pair of shoes in a few months. Practice the bucket drill for pitchers, where they have to kick their leg up on their follow through. Getting used to that feeling will help your accuracy.

I used to drag my toe too. It definitely changes your throw when you stop dragging, but it's something you can learn for sure and can really pay off in the end not only saving your shoes but it can actually improve your throw when you get used to it. But if all else fails grab yourself a nice pair of Keens with a thick ass toe. They're around $100 but they come with a 1 year warranty so keep your receipt and they are pretty good about returns from wear and tear. Added bonus if they stop being waterproof they will also replace them for that reason. Happy Throwing.

I was dragging my left toe in the past (RHBH). That was why I had to replace my shoes, the tops wore out first.
Then other golfers started pointing out I was dragging my toe after my release as I brought my left foot back to the front. Once that was pointed out I was able to fix the issue by lifting my foot a little higher after my release.

I have a buddy who has the same issue. Buy a tube of shoe goo (retails for about 6.99) and use it to build up a thick layer on the affected area, similar to the pitchers toe device you have already tried. When the shoe goo dries it is almost as tough as rubber. Each application typically lasts quite a few rounds depending on how heavily you drag your toe.

I used to have this problem, and think Keens look like old man shoes, so I switched to wearing basketball shoes and they work great. Most basketball shoes have thick soles that wrap up around the foot. These also give me more ankle support.

I learned to quit dragging my toe[esp. FH] years ago---when I sometimes wore Tevas, and shredded the skin off the top of my toes.

As for advice, well---stop doing it.

Last edited:
I actually used to be mainly a LHFH for driving and would tear through shoes. I'd recommend a change in form since that dragging is probably costing you some distance.

Dragging your toe does nothing to help your form. Stop it.

Yes, the change in form will ultimately help your game, but like has been mentioned, Keens are a GREAT shoe! I bought some DeLaveagas because I was going through my adidas Sambas so fast (and I wear those everywhere). So far, it's been several months and I notice very little visible wear. I know the Delaveagas have been discontinued, but you can still find them a couple places.

Get your weight more forward and/or stride shorter.

I have a buddy who has the same issue. Buy a tube of shoe goo (retails for about 6.99) and use it to build up a thick layer on the affected area, similar to the pitchers toe device you have already tried. When the shoe goo dries it is almost as tough as rubber. Each application typically lasts quite a few rounds depending on how heavily you drag your toe.

There is a guy around here who get s a brand new pair of boots and shoe goo or plasti dips the crap out of the toe of his shoe for this reason. It seems to work well for him.

This has been a problem for me for years. I recently had a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators that lasted only six months because the toes on each shoe were destroyed to the point that my socks were showing. Didn't bother me too much, they were not very comfortable to begin with. Before that I had a pair of New Balance Gore Tex hikers that the toes lasted a couple of years before being shredded open from me dragging them on concrete tee-pads. I just ordered some Keen Targhees 2's hoping that the toes on them will last. I know that the dragging is really proof of bad form and have tried hard to correct it. What has helped for me is throwing more fairway drivers instead of hyper-fast high speed drivers so I can concentrate on better form.

Get your weight more forward and/or stride shorter.

This. I used to do the same, tear up the left toe while throwing on concrete tees. Saw video of my form and it was plainly visible why. I was not getting my weight fully forward.

Latest posts