• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Tell me about your Gateway Shaman

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Just got a new 177g Diamond Shaman and I'll be damned if it's not one of the best feeling discs I've ever laid my paws on. Flat and shallow goodness. The Diamond plastic feels superb. I've thrown it a few times and it's straight, but haven't thrown it enough to get a read on how it compares to my multitude of other neutral throwing putters like the K1 Reko, Opto Mercy, Star Invaders, Fuzion Judge, and a Retro Pure..

How do you guys like it? How do you use it? How does it stack up flight wise against others in this category?

Super intrigued, especially at 177g (more than the others). Need to devote some serious alone time with this disc and see what she's really made of.

Flight rating: 3,3,-1,1

Attachments

• 20220723_181426.jpg
    20220723_181426.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've got to agree.. I felt one up in the cold beer and wine store and it felt full of potential. I like the diamond plastic too, has a great feel. I did not buy one but curious to hear as well.

Love the Shaman, been throwing Gateway and their sister companies stuff for several years now, and while the core putters get the hype, the Shaman, Chief, and Chief OS are so underrated. Shaman is just a great hold the line disc in premium plastic, and make great first discs for kids or other lower power players in baseline. Also while I have been using more sidearm the last couple of years, those shallower approach putters just feel good on a flick, while I can do it with the larger diameter mids I prefer using these. Also if your looking for something beefy but want a consistent beadless feel, AGL Baobab and Gateway Warspear/Storm Crater have the same wing as the Magic and Shaman.

The Shaman is an underrated thrower for sure.

I used to have a beat up Sure Grip that was pretty nice for lower power hyzer flip shots. It worked really well in the woods to keep the disc under limbs but also relatively low power.

I don't bag one because I only carry nine discs but if I was a Gateway pro and carried a big bag... A Shaman would definitely have a bag slot.

The shaman was almost unknown to me until recently. My diamond shaman is pretty sick. Very shallow, almost flat, and was actually slightly more true stable than I expected(I found it to be more resistant to turn than my diamond chief). I can get them about 275 on a full rip and it just slightly drifts on a turn over. Very fun disc, and very similar to a 400pa4. I think the shallow depth adds to the speed or something that helps it go just a bit further than other putters for me. I wish I could snag one at 177 or maybe a pa4 at that weight. That would be perfect.

Love the Shaman, been throwing Gateway and their sister companies stuff for several years now, and while the core putters get the hype, the Shaman, Chief, and Chief OS are so underrated. Shaman is just a great hold the line disc in premium plastic, and make great first discs for kids or other lower power players in baseline. Also while I have been using more sidearm the last couple of years, those shallower approach putters just feel good on a flick, while I can do it with the larger diameter mids I prefer using these. Also if your looking for something beefy but want a consistent beadless feel, AGL Baobab and Gateway Warspear/Storm Crater have the same wing as the Magic and Shaman.

Coincidentally enough, I just bought a Baobab (used to have one but traded it away) and two War Spears!

I am consistently impressed by Gateway. I bought a hyper diamond Demon at the same time as this Shaman and it too is incredible. I think I've decided to make a whole Gateway bag. Pretty sure I can nearly do it right now.

Gateway molds I own: wizard, warlock, shaman, magic, voodoo, war spear, warrior, element, Mystic, demon, sabre, assassin, journey, apex

I need a prophecy...

The shaman was almost unknown to me until recently. My diamond shaman is pretty sick. Very shallow, almost flat, and was actually slightly more true stable than I expected(I found it to be more resistant to turn than my diamond chief). I can get them about 275 on a full rip and it just slightly drifts on a turn over. Very fun disc, and very similar to a 400pa4. I think the shallow depth adds to the speed or something that helps it go just a bit further than other putters for me. I wish I could snag one at 177 or maybe a pa4 at that weight. That would be perfect.

By the way, Marshall Street was where I was able to pick out the high weight Shaman. 10% off all Gateway right now too. Every disc in diamond or hyper diamond is a steal as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/?s=Shaman&post_type=product

I've never quite decided if it's a very fast shallow putter or a small diameter midrange, either way it's a unique, and honestly strange, mold ime. It's clearly faster than a "standard" putter, e.g. Aviars, Wizards, Judges; has more glide than a Harp and the deeper tweeners, and is more in line with a Suspect in terms of build and use. Neutral line holder that relies on speed over glide to get distance and I'd probably put it at a 4/2/-0.5/1 in Diamond. In Suregrip, it'll have a bit more glide but also be more understable, 4/3/-1/1, and will get very, very flippy before too long, but I actually think this is where the mold shines the most.

It has next to no fade once it's worn in so you've got to play the turn when you throw it. Good disc to learn how to throw understable molds with, and is also great to learn FH with because it can take some speed but requires touch to control how fast/violent the flip will be.

I run a pair of them, one Diamond and one Suregrip, in my winter bag as a slower version of my mid (Gatekeeper): similar flights and wear patterns but easier to throw when I'm bundled up/have bad footing. In my normal bag, I keep a stiff beat Suregrip one as my BH utility disc: patent-pendings, standstill BH rollers, grenades (regular and flat[instead of tomahawks/pancakes/scoobers]).

Occasionally, I'll use it for touch hyzerflips FH and BH but it's a touch too fast of a disc at low power for that. Buddy of mine runs one in a soft and gritty Suregrip as his C2/throw-in/lay-up disc.

The Shaman is an underrated thrower for sure.

I used to have a beat up Sure Grip that was pretty nice for lower power hyzer flip shots. It worked really well in the woods to keep the disc under limbs but also relatively low power.

I don't bag one because I only carry nine discs but if I was a Gateway pro and carried a big bag... A Shaman would definitely have a bag slot.

Just curious: Which nine discs do you bag?

Just curious: Which nine discs do you bag?

Grip G Series:
Wiz/Scale
Prophecy/Gila
Ptero/Chameleon/Komodo
Journey/Proto RDG Distance Driver

This is what's in there now.
I don't bag a Stego because I just borrow Josh's when I need it lol.

I have been playing a lot of NutSac rounds lately though with Wiz- Comet - Gila - Teebird and having fun with that too.

I've been putting with one for a few weeks now. I like shallow putters, but this one might actually be a bit too shallow for me. The one problem I've had with mine is spit outs. My Shamans are in the Suregrip plastic. The texture feels similar to SSS to me, but it has a bouncy characteristic. Rather than sticking to the chains, it sometimes seems to just bounce off of them. I've heard some people have these issues with softer putters. It was never an issue for me with my SSS Wizard, though.

I dont think i have seen a disc with so many different flight numbers as the Shaman. . .i bought it thinking it would be super US. . the dgputtheads has it at 3 3 -2 0. . i have seen it listed at 3 3 0 -1 . . but now Gateway has it at 3 3 -1 1

I've been putting with one for a few weeks now. I like shallow putters, but this one might actually be a bit too shallow for me. The one problem I've had with mine is spit outs. My Shamans are in the Suregrip plastic. The texture feels similar to SSS to me, but it has a bouncy characteristic. Rather than sticking to the chains, it sometimes seems to just bounce off of them. I've heard some people have these issues with softer putters. It was never an issue for me with my SSS Wizard, though.

Yeah its definitely not a putter for me. This is a thrower. I putt with Fireflys but have been thinking of trying the K3 Reko. Just need to get more than 1 before I experiment...

I've had a Shaman in the bag for probably 8 years now and I absolutely love it for forehand approaches. It's understable, but an incredibly shapeable disc that I can make do things that no other disc can. I know that as long as I have any kind of window, I can get the Shaman to get me close to the basket.

So excited to see other people throwing this disc. It doesn't get the love that it deserves.

I've had a Shaman in the bag for probably 8 years now and I absolutely love it for forehand approaches. It's understable, but an incredibly shapeable disc that I can make do things that no other disc can. I know that as long as I have any kind of window, I can get the Shaman to get me close to the basket.

So excited to see other people throwing this disc. It doesn't get the love that it deserves.

Just from its feel alone I think it belongs in the convo with the Reko, Envy, all these other super popular putters, etc. Absolutely an unsung gem, just like most Gateway!

Coincidentally enough, I just bought a Baobab (used to have one but traded it away) and two War Spears!

I am consistently impressed by Gateway. I bought a hyper diamond Demon at the same time as this Shaman and it too is incredible. I think I've decided to make a whole Gateway bag. Pretty sure I can nearly do it right now.

Gateway molds I own: wizard, warlock, shaman, magic, voodoo, war spear, warrior, element, Mystic, demon, sabre, assassin, journey, apex

I need a prophecy...

Prophecy is nice if you like that flat Roc type feel, for that spot I use the AGL Magnolia, used to be in the Gateway lineup as the Karma, but it's essentially an Element with a more squared, blunt edged wing. Does short to medium range roller shots well.