• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Augusta National of dg

Being Augusta-like isn't necessarily about quality but history and titles. There are many ball golf courses globally that are equal to or nicer than Augusta in quality of the challenge and/or amenities but do not have the titles, history and influence on the sport in the U.S. Certainly, courses in the British Isles top even Augusta for longevity, history and titles.
Or perhaps the most important feature, Beauty !

I go along with Winthrop Gold, but it rather depends on what Augusta National features someone considers when dubbing a course Augusta-like.

If it's the "best course" or "most beautiful" or "best landscaping", you'd get a different answer.

Winthrop Gold has a few Augusta-like qualities: It hosts one of the most prestigious and tradition-filled events, at the same location every year. It's difficult for a lay person to get on -- definitely hard to get into a tournament there, and to play casual with the ropes means finding a time in a short window. And while not the most scenic, it is well-groomed and landscaped with a scenic pond in play, and a landmark clubhouse.

And if the criteria is a course that was long-famous for not allowing women, I don't know the answer.

Being Augusta-like isn't necessarily about quality but history and titles. There are many ball golf courses globally that are equal to or nicer than Augusta in quality of the challenge and/or amenities but do not have the titles, history and influence on the sport in the U.S. Certainly, courses in the British Isles top even Augusta for longevity, history and titles.
You keep forgetting the beauty. Does it not compute into the equation ?

You keep forgetting the beauty. Does it not commute into the equation ?
Not so much for this exercise since there are many ball golf courses worldwide with beauty as good or even better than Augusta depending on a player's taste in terrain. It's the history, titles and influence on the sport (Tiger proofing concept, for example) that would seem to be the differentiators.

Not so much for this exercise since there are many ball golf courses worldwide with beauty as good or even better than Augusta depending on a player's taste in terrain. It's the history, titles and influence on the sport (Tiger proofing concept, for example) that would seem to be the differentiators.
Now that I really think about it, without the history,the beauty would have never been showcased.

You keep forgetting the beauty. Does it not compute into the equation ?

I'm not overly into traditional golf other than from a dry technical course design standpoint. Beauty is the definitely first thing that comes to my mind when you mention Augusta. My relationship with the sport of golf is such that I don't really care all that much about the history and tradition.

I'm not overly into traditional golf other than from a dry technical course design standpoint. Beauty is the definitely first thing that comes to my mind when you mention Augusta. My relationship with the sport of golf is such that I don't really care all that much about the history and tradition.

Agreed. There is no history and tradition until covid and James... the new idea of beauty may not be the same old idea of Beauty.

I have never seen a ball golf course that can compete with the beauty of Appalachian forest, Piedmont woodlands, or Western mountains. These are all landscapes that can be readily adapted to disc golf. But of course others may have different ideas about what is beautiful.

But this is one of those internet arguments that can never be resolved. How does one define "Augusta National-ness"?

So y'all have fun. :)

Is the next wave of dg design using fake animals and birhday cakes ?

One way Winthrop is just like Augusta is that Cherry Road has just as many trashy chain restaurants (Applebee's, Waffle House, IHOP, etc) as Washington Road.

Two newly installed courses laying claim to the title. Lake Marshall and Eagles Crossing. Who's your pick?
Mando,

I guess this discussion came about because of ambiguities in what it means to be "Augusta-like"? It looks like Eagle's Crossing has invested a mind boggling amount of labor in making greens and manicured fairways, etc. Lake Marshall is epic because it has 3 solid top notch courses in one location. The Lions is very long and challenging for higher skilled players, but the whole complex doesn't have a country club feel. Part of that is being way out in a remote rural area.

In Virginia, I will give a minority opinion and say that Primland feels the most like a ritzy country club with a manicured course because it's at a fancy resort and the golf course crew maintains it immaculately. But most will say it's too short therefore not challenging enough to be like Augusta. For long and challenging Raptor's Roost in Gordonsville VA has a clubhouse and is aspiring to be like a country club. I've been to Augusta National and Raptor's feels more like that.

In NC, North Cove in Marion is building a country club manicured course vibe. In Badin, Hardaway Point is opening very soon with a similar model; the lounge with refreshments and food coming are hoped to draw people in. The Bear in Hickory is doing something similar.

What about those courses in Texas that moved earth and spent tons building courses? Selah Ranch?

Mando,

I guess this discussion came about because of ambiguities in what it means to be "Augusta-like"? It looks like Eagle's Crossing has invested a mind boggling amount of labor in making greens and manicured fairways, etc. Lake Marshall is epic because it has 3 solid top notch courses in one location. The Lions is very long and challenging for higher skilled players, but the whole complex doesn't have a country club feel. Part of that is being way out in a remote rural area.

In Virginia, I will give a minority opinion and say that Primland feels the most like a ritzy country club with a manicured course because it's at a fancy resort and the golf course crew maintains it immaculately. But most will say it's too short therefore not challenging enough to be like Augusta. For long and challenging Raptor's Roost in Gordonsville VA has a clubhouse and is aspiring to be like a country club. I've been to Augusta National and Raptor's feels more like that.

In NC, North Cove in Marion is building a country club manicured course vibe. In Badin, Hardaway Point is opening very soon with a similar model; the lounge with refreshments and food coming are hoped to draw people in. The Bear in Hickory is doing something similar.

What about those courses in Texas that moved earth and spent tons building courses? Selah Ranch?
I never saw one picture of Selah that made me pack my bags. People with more money than they know what to do with

As I was typing the previous post, I was thinking, how many people really want a course like Augusta National anyway? Give me a great woods course any day. One with breath taking rock formations and scenery is great for me. A course like that makes you overlook that it doesn't have the most expensive top of the line baskets and only one set of tees. If you also have one green with the most beautiful expansive scenic vista in the state then you've got me hooked!

I've got to be honest, too, and mention the reality that to get that Augusta kind of grooming there must be higher greens fees to sustain it. Then they have to compete with free alternatives. (I know this must impact Raptor's Roost in VA, and North Cove in Marion NC, and the new course in Badin NC will face this with several really good free courses nearby.)

I don't think we have an Augusta National yet. A few things about it stand out to me.

• Legacy: A course upon which history has been made, and a major tournament is held there every year. The obvious parallel to me is Winthrop Gold.
  • Aesthetics: many consider it beautiful. I'd say something in the Rockies (Beaver Ranch), Appalachians (Ashe County Park), or Minnesota (BRP or the Preserve) are the closest we have, but I'm sure there are others I haven't listed, and I think Eagle's Crossing looks cool.
  • Design: Augusta National was designed in the heroic school of design, where you are presented with many options for high/risk reward shots. I can't think of a parallel in DG.
  • Greens: Augusta has some of the toughest greens in the world. I'm coming up empty with this too.
  • History: Designed by a world-class designer in tough times. I don't know of a parallel there, but maybe look through the older courses by the designers who frequent this site. (Thankfully I don't know of a parallel to the issue with women, but a fun fact is that the original plans for Augusta were to have a separate course for the Ladies, but the Depression ruined that)

I don't think we have an Augusta National yet. A few things about it stand out to me.

• Legacy: A course upon which history has been made, and a major tournament is held there every year. The obvious parallel to me is Winthrop Gold.
  • Aesthetics: many consider it beautiful. I'd say something in the Rockies (Beaver Ranch), Appalachians (Ashe County Park), or Minnesota (BRP or the Preserve) are the closest we have, but I'm sure there are others I haven't listed, and I think Eagle's Crossing looks cool.
  • Design: Augusta National was designed in the heroic school of design, where you are presented with many options for high/risk reward shots. I can't think of a parallel in DG.
  • Greens: Augusta has some of the toughest greens in the world. I'm coming up empty with this too.
  • History: Designed by a world-class designer in tough times. I don't know of a parallel there, but maybe look through the older courses by the designers who frequent this site. (Thankfully I don't know of a parallel to the issue with women, but a fun fact is that the original plans for Augusta were to have a separate course for the Ladies, but the Depression ruined that)

That's a pretty good summation of the various aspects of Augusta that make it Augusta.

I think you are missing one thing though. Call it "Pedigree", perhaps. The Masters doesn't exist without Bobby Jones, the first superstar of the game, who founds both the club and the tournament. The Masters is a major, but not really for any "good" reason. It's not an official championship of any kind.

Had the USGA let Jones and Augusta host the US Open, it's even possible we wouldn't even have The Masters tournament as it exists today.

So, if Paul McBeth retires and starts a private, gorgeous disc golf club, that hosts a prestigious tournament each year, and Paul does the invites, that becomes a major, then we'll have our Augusta National. Who knows, maybe he'll become a part owner at Eagle's Crossing. Until then, something like Maple Hill is probably as close as you get.

The perfection of the grounds is what really sets Augusta apart. Not a lade of grass out of place. not a weed to be seen, everything is exact. Those are the qualities I think of. I have no idea what disc golf course is manicured to such perfection.

The concession area has not been open once the 4 times I have played there though. Don't know if its COVID or something else.

Been playing there periodically since it opened. Concession stand has never been open and I can't think of a reason why it would be. Maybe if it had a major tournament, but definitely not for a C-tier or casual play.

Latest posts