• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live Long...

And prosper.

Star Vulcan

SDC11726.jpg

keysleopard.jpg

Black Keys bleed city. It ended up being an experiment with color once the I realized how many lines were blown. Ah well.....the good with the bad.

Did you do that by hand? Holy Frijoles!!

@Barneco: Nice one! I'm a fan of the japanese sunbursts.

I need to get workin on some this week...finally...days off....and possibly some skiing! WOOO!

First try at marbling

I tried to do it on the bottom of the disc with the red grid on top. to try to give it a two level look. From the top it shows up really good, but the picture really didn't show of the marbling very good.

Attachments

• marble.jpg
    marble.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 96
Great to see some new(to the site;)) talent!

Discs look excellent all, and especially that Black Keys disc --:eek: insane. :eek:

Which is good for a disc's health, I can't remember, Goof Off or Goo Gone? The stuff I was using to remove stickiness changed the formula and it seems bad for the plastic.

Which is good for a disc's health, I can't remember, Goof Off or Goo Gone? The stuff I was using to remove stickiness changed the formula and it seems bad for the plastic.

Goof Off will take off pretty much anything: sticky, stamps, and blur dye.
Goo Gone should only take off sticky, but someone had a spray version which blurred a dye a bit. I've never had a problem, and regularly use it minutes after a dip.

Not sure why, but I've had zero luck with either goo off or goo gone for removing leftover stickies. what does work great for me is denatured alcohol. i'm using it immediately after dipping and it takes off the stickies like butter and does nothing to the fresh dye. it will, however, sometimes mess with the "sheen" of star plastic(haven't seen this happen with champ) if left on too long, but the stickies will be gone long before that happens. a lightly damp cloth works best, not applying directly to the disc. ymmv of course.

Knocked this one out for my own bag last night. I've been dyeing so much lately that I wanted to get one done for myself, I've been enjoying this Star Mako for a few weeks and it needed some pizazzzz.
Houndstooth pattern and the script "A", both are tied to Univ of Alabama football before you ask :D
Got a lot of compliments today from the crew at River Chase -- nothing like throwing discs on a ball golf course!

5382393270_d718ac0fe4.jpg

The quality of this one is amazing, imho. Very well designed and cleanly executed.

Maybe this is a good place to share my first multi-color attempt. :) This one was where I learned that I can't make cuts for all the colors prior to dipping. Thought I was being smart, but as I'm sure everyone else is aware, the dye will penetrate the cut lines even if a section hasn't been weeded. Coincidentally, this is also when I learned why a lot of you guys use lightboxes and cut remasks on the disc directly :).

It still looks a little bland to me...thinking of sprucing it up with some grey marbling maybe.

175 white star aviar with sunshine orange and navy blue

picture.php

Last edited:
barneco, I'm learning that too.

inspired by yearofrolling:

P1250026.jpg

Mostly experimenting with colors here. Straight, and curved lines. Minor bleeding, could have worked it a little more.

Hi all,

I've gotten a lot of knowledge from this forum as I'm learning to dye, so I thought I'd start posting my results, and maybe what I've learned as I've gone along. I'll start with the latest. This is a pink Champ Katana. Sunburst rays are scarlett and figure is black. I'm using the basic powder/water mix with hot bath method. Was nice and pretty when i finished last week, but took a beating this weekend. I should have taken the pic first!

I wanted the dyed red color to be the main sunburst, but in hindsight, I think it would have come out better if I'd let the pink negative space be the sunbust and the red be the sky. The red, even though I went short for the "candy" look, is a bit dark to be the black figure's background. Overall still pleased with how it came out.

picture.php
Wow. That's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.