• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] The Obex

Woops

I meant the obex is slightly less stable then the wasp. Not obex vs obex lol.
At first I thought it could take the spot of my wasp but I feel the need for both especially when there is some decent wind. I've thought about getting a hornet or drone but im waiting for a mobex!

The Obex to is really reliable for those 200-250 ft hyzer upshots. They don't flip over, feel like a roc, and have a extended fade at the end. I've never thrown a wasp, but I'd say they are more stable than a buzz or a roc. I find them to be really consistent on those must have upshots.

I won 3 of them at World's this year and one has stayed in my bag since. Still love my buzz and 2 KC roc's though...

An Ibex is like a Roc with some good wear on it. An Obex is like a brand new, heavy Roc. I honestly think the Roc has more glide than either, and I can throw my Ibex a little farther than I can throw my Obex, but I'm not sure if this is because the Ibex glides better or if I can't get enough speed on the Obex to see its full potential. They're all great discs, in my opinion. My favorite shot with an Obex is teeing off on a downhill hole under 300', that is open on the right side -- I know at least two holes near me that fit this description nicely. Backhand it flat out to the right, and it will hold a nice straight line until it runs out of HSS steam; when the LSS takes over, you get a solid, reliable fade back to the target.

I recently got one of the firm ones, closest thing to a good rancho KC Roc I've played with since the plastic has changed a bit and I'm not going to pay for a marked up Roc3, on the Inbound scale for low speed fade the Obex was 56, the Roc 57, and the Wasp a 60, all three had perfect zero turn.

Also, who needs a Mobex when you can torque monkey a VP? :D

I think this is a pretty good point but I still need something that will definitely crack left even when I throw it pretty fast in a headwind. The VP is an awesome and reliable approach disc, no doubt, but I need something a little faster and even more overstable sometimes with more glide. MOBEX.

So regular x link won't beat in? I want a disc to hold its characteristics longer. Tree hits are an everyday thing here.

Medium will eventually beat in, but much, much slower than premium plastic (champion, z, etc.). Medium Xlink is definitely more durable than any plastic on the market. Firm beats in at about the same rate as star/flx plastic. At least in my experience.

Go soft if you want your disc to last. It doesn't take that long to get over the floppiness.

I think this is a pretty good point but I still need something that will definitely crack left even when I throw it pretty fast in a headwind. The VP is an awesome and reliable approach disc, no doubt, but I need something a little faster and even more overstable sometimes with more glide. MOBEX.

In my limited experience, the VP is the most overstable putter I've thrown, and possibly the most overstable disc I've owned. I suspect you could throw it straight into the teeth of a Nor'Easter and it would still crack left like a Boston Democrat, but maybe my VP was unusual, and it definitely didn't go very far no matter how hard I threw it. Maybe they will mold a new midrange and give it an original name. :thmbup:

Bumping this to gather some knowledge from the Obex fans (or non-fans)...

With my current mid setup (Buzzz/Tangent/Fuse), will the Obex offer much? I live in Southern California, so wind and inclement weather are not much of a factor. I am just curious about the Obex because the VP has been so damn consistent for upshots lately that I am wondering if I could have that same consistency with longer approaches.

Thanks for the insight.

I doubt the "mobex" will be called as such. Judging by the pattern, i'm predicting ubex.

You know, ibex, obex, ubex. Maybe a fuse-like disc called the ebex sometime?

Kind of bummed to hear the Firm Obex beat in faster than the mediums. However, I picked up a medium Obex this winter; DEAD flat top, almost puddle topped. The thing flies like a seasoned or FT Roc- dead straight, minimal fade. Was pretty disappointed. These firms feel much different, though. Maybe I'll run across a decent medium Obex, but plan on testing these guys this week.

Bumping this to gather some knowledge from the Obex fans (or non-fans)...

With my current mid setup (Buzzz/Tangent/Fuse), will the Obex offer much? I live in Southern California, so wind and inclement weather are not much of a factor. I am just curious about the Obex because the VP has been so damn consistent for upshots lately that I am wondering if I could have that same consistency with longer approaches.

Thanks for the insight.

In my experience 300 seems to be the magic number with the obex. I'm using a 176 medium with a bit of dome and once it pushes 300 its super straight with a small predictable fade at the end. In the 250 range it flies a lot like a wasp.

bump this.

I'm interested in hearing how the Soft Obex stacks up against the Cryztal FLX Zone. FLX Zones cost a fortune and I'd rather find something with similar 'sit and stick' capability that doesn't cost so much if I lose one.

bump this.

I'm interested in hearing how the Soft Obex stacks up against the Cryztal FLX Zone. FLX Zones cost a fortune and I'd rather find something with similar 'sit and stick' capability that doesn't cost so much if I lose one.
The Obex is not even close to as overstable as a Zone. I would wager to say it's not even in the Wasp stability range. The ones I had flew very straight and faded forward and slow-ish.

I played in about a 15-20 mph wind today and wasnt overly impressed with MY 173F Obex handling a headwind. I think I am going to buy a max weight Obex which I figure will handle the wind better. Anyone have any insight before i go buy one and find out the arrow and archer just dont click when there is a headwind? Otherwise I love my Obex...

Latest posts