• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] The Obex

The Obex is not even close to as overstable as a Zone. I would wager to say it's not even in the Wasp stability range. The ones I had flew very straight and faded forward and slow-ish.
Thanks plastic cannon. Nothing out there right now can take the Zone out of my bag, but it would be nice to have something comparable and floppy-ish. I'll keep hoping for a Soft Mobex to come out soon (but not before the OSLace Mr. Dodge!!).

Can anyone compare these for wind-fighting purposes? Calm conditions, I'm getting pretty similar flights, but haven't gotten to get them out in the wind much before GBO. KC Roc vs. Firm Obex.

Can anyone compare these for wind-fighting purposes? Calm conditions, I'm getting pretty similar flights, but haven't gotten to get them out in the wind much before GBO. KC Roc vs. Firm Obex.
In my personal opinion, the Obex doesn't handle wind all that great. How long have you been throwing Rocs?

I played in about a 15-20 mph wind today and wasnt overly impressed with MY 173F Obex handling a headwind. I think I am going to buy a max weight Obex which I figure will handle the wind better. Anyone have any insight before i go buy one and find out the arrow and archer just dont click when there is a headwind? Otherwise I love my Obex...

Probably want to look for a high PLH one too.

In my personal opinion, the Obex doesn't handle wind all that great. How long have you been throwing Rocs?

Maybe like a year tops. But I feel like I can lean on them pretty decent into side/headwinds a lot, and I've been getting the feeling that even in winds, the Obex just can't hold a candle to the Roc. Playing GBO, and got some testing in with no idea what my workhorse mid will be. Probably will just throw Predators for touch shots ;)

Out of curiosity does anyone bag an Obex or is it the redheaded stepchild? I got one in my Birdie Bash just b/c a Roc in Vibram rubber would be pretty cool but it does fly kinda strange. Acts fairly beefy with some hyzer but can get deceptively straight thrown flat. Plus the glide is on a milk carton somewhere.

Out of curiosity does anyone bag an Obex or is it the redheaded stepchild? I got one in my Birdie Bash just b/c a Roc in Vibram rubber would be pretty cool but it does fly kinda strange. Acts fairly beefy with some hyzer but can get deceptively straight thrown flat. Plus the glide is on a milk carton somewhere.
I have a beat-to-flat Obex which basically flies like an Ibex and a somewhat fresh Obex which flies like a brick. I pulled mine out and only have a couple Ibexes for my mids. I've started just powering down on an Ascent or Firebird for the Obex slot. /shrug

I had an obex for about two weeks and it reminded me most of a fresh DX shark, except it dumps off the line sooner. I ended up selling it to a friend who was trying to build out a Vibram bag.

The Obex I had was flippier than an Ibex. Sold it.

I played in a Birdie Bash where someone went with the Obex, and it was also pretty flippy for what is supposed to be an overstable disc.

Small sample size, but still.

I played in a Birdie Bash with someone that was complaining about how flippy his Obex was. Then I saw him throw and it was OAT city. The discs that we received for the birdie bash were softer than normal which probably didn't help (Firms were closer to Medium and Mediums were closer to Soft).

I have owned two Obex... I bought the first used, it is 165 grams and flies really well. It has glide and a good amount of stability. It holds a straight line into a head wind and finishes with a slight fade. Unfortunately, it is dull green so I only use it for field practice.

The second was 174 grams and was closer to the brick that Gennataos described. I only threw it a few times before giving it away to someone that had their bag stolen. I am curious to see how it would have broken in with time.

Threw an Obex in the Birdie Bash today (they were out of Ibex). Two other guys in my group had them, and we were all of an opinion that this ain't no OS mid. I liked mine better than the last one I had, but it is one odd duck. Considering that Ascent and Trak performed as advertised, at least for me, wonder why this disc wasn't redone/renamed....

I wonder how Obex critics feel about the Roc... I'm sure some have bagged a Roc. As you know, the Roc is billed as an overstable mid-range.

I appreciate the Obex for what it is. I have a soft in 176. Liked it since I got it, but rather than try to push the disc to the limits or make an OAT mistake I'll usually disc up, and throw an Ascent.

Notch should help fill the overstable mid-range slot, even though it's a control driver. Rumors are that the Notch is a speed 6, which is faster than the Obex speed 5.

Not sure where you heard the Notch was speed 6, it's got a 1.8 cm width rim.
From Aaron Ala...

Some geek specs:
W(cm)/D(cm)/PLH/R
R448: 1.8/1.0/0/3
Trak: 1.9/1.2/1/2
Trek: 1.9/1.2/1/2
Ascent:1.9/1.2/2/1
Arch: 1.8/1.1/2/3
Valley: 1.8/1.08/3/3
Notch: 1.8/1.2/4/3

(W=rim width, D= rim depth, PLH= parting line height "relative scale", R= rim roundness "relative scale)

So a speed 9 based on rim width. It could fly like a slower disc but rim width is the only truly quantifiable measure of speed, so it's what I go by.

So a speed 9 based on rim width. It could fly like a slower disc but rim width is the only truly quantifiable measure of speed, so it's what I go by.

The proto-Notch isn't the same presumably as the PDGA Notch... should be good! I'm eliminating some of the Vibram putters in my 12-disc bag in favor of drivers, so this process will have to continue. :clap:

Latest posts