• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on FB after sharing your video -

I have argued for years that throwing is way more important in disc golf than putting. There is no chance you shoot that 39 if your drives weren't spot on (I mean, you threw a perfect round, just didn't putt on). I honestly feel that I - a lowly 936 player with a great putt - would have shot the same thing - at worst 2 or 3 less - than you did if I threw the shots you did.

I'm not in anyway downplaying the importance of putting - but I'd be curious to here your take on this, especially after the round you just had.

I posted this on FB after sharing your video -

I have argued for years that throwing is way more important in disc golf than putting. There is no chance you shoot that 39 if your drives weren't spot on (I mean, you threw a perfect round, just didn't putt on). I honestly feel that I - a lowly 936 player with a great putt - would have shot the same thing - at worst 2 or 3 less - than you did if I threw the shots you did.

I'm not in anyway downplaying the importance of putting - but I'd be curious to here your take on this, especially after the round you just had.

If you can't putt I see it being at least 5 strokes worse then what I shot which is still a great round but some of those holes by the water if you miss the first putt it can be a 2-3 stroke swing. If you have 18 perfect drives you can shoot 36 on any par 54. My question to you is Name the best touring player that can't putt, that should answer the how important putting question is. You were a marshall at 2012 worlds you should know how important putting is since most of the holes there are lay up for 35 footers

Putting is of course the x-factor between AM's and Pro's, but IMO the old addage "drive for show putt for dough" does not hold quite as strong in Dgolf as it does in Bgolf. Most Bgolf birdies come on par 4 or 5's where a controlled shot down the middle off the tee will set you up for a mid iron (midrange/putter disc equivalent) approach, then if you can sink a putt your still looking at birdie. This is where drive for show putt for dough comes from.

In pro Dgolf, you guys absolutely crush past any distance attainable by normal players, giving you more opportunities for birdies, as many more holes are par 3's or crazy long 4's or 5's that still require two crushes to get within birdie range. Therefore, learning to throw 450+ ft = better score than striving to make 90% of 45+ ft putts (which even pros can't attain) Most top AM's make 80% or better of 20-30 ft putts, but they can't get within that range for birdies. But obviously, if you can't hit 30 footers, you wont win your local C-tier. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think it's a case of either being more or less important. If you can't drive far and accurately, and can't putt well, then you'll never come close to a round like that. You need both.

Tim S.

All 39 shots broken down

Mcpro x 19
Destroyer x 7
Firebird x 3
Roc3 x 2
Gator x 2
P2 x 2
Teebird x 2
Krait x 2
PD x 2

I don't see a sig disc happening but maybe something cool

Really cool breakdown of throws, that's fun.

So I've never noticed this before but when you throw, your off hand won't close on the disc. Is this something to do with wearing a baseball glove a lot of your life? Or is it something more to do with keeping your right hand loose and ready to throw?

So I've never noticed this before but when you throw, your off hand won't close on the disc. Is this something to do with wearing a baseball glove a lot of your life? Or is it something more to do with keeping your right hand loose and ready to throw?

you can say something like that, like when you go to throw a football you tap it to make sure it secure or tapping a baseball on your glove before you throw it. same kind of style

My question to you is Name the best touring player that can't putt, that should answer the how important putting question is. You were a marshall at 2012 worlds you should know how important putting is since most of the holes there are lay up for 35 footers

To get to the level of players like you, putting is insanely important. There is no doubt about that. You can't make a living off the sport without the ability to putt.

So while I can't name anyone in the top 10 in the world that can't putt, I can name plenty of players over 1000 who can't. And there is no doubt that the difference between yourself and those guys is putting.

All 39 shots broken down

Mcpro x 19
Destroyer x 7
Firebird x 3
Roc3 x 2
Gator x 2
P2 x 2
Teebird x 2
Krait x 2
PD x 2

Originally Posted by PMcBeth
1 glow firebird 175
1 champ 12x firebird 175
1 star max 175
2 champ teebirds 168 167
1 c pd 175
3 star destroyers 172 168 165
1 champ roadrunner 167
3 kc roc 180 177 175
1 star roc 180
2 dx rocs 175 170
1 champ gator 175
2 p&a aviars 175
1 p2 175
2 kc aviars 175

Has your bag changed much since the World's?

All 39 shots broken down

Mcpro x 19
Destroyer x 7
Firebird x 3
Roc3 x 2
Gator x 2
P2 x 2
Teebird x 2
Krait x 2
PD x 2

What am I missing? I count 22 throws and 19 putts =41. What were the 2 extra throws?
Congrats on the amazing round!

Putt for dough. Thats the age old advice and its still true. You can throw the farthest, but if you cant hit a 30 foot putt then you might as well be practicing your upshots. Putting makes up for some of your mistakes. Bad drives, bad upshots. Putting cleans it all up. I have yet to see a high rated pro player suck at putting. IMO

G

What am I missing? I count 22 throws and 19 putts =41. What were the 2 extra throws?
Congrats on the amazing round!

you counted wrong

congrats on an amazing round, Paul. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.