• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Problem with Pro's

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
While getting stuff for our DG Club ready for next year, we want to attract more Pro's to join, and really just don't know how to do it. As part of membership benefits, we offer discounts on discs, a Bag Tag Point Series, and 50% off Ace Pool entries.

Since Pro's really don't want plastic and have all they need, what is a reasonable benefit we can offer to them? Their payouts for club events are already in cash, but what is reasonable to give them that we are not offering to other divisional players and/or members?

Why is it desirable to have Pros in a club if they don't want to be in the club to begin with? :confused:

Andy-Dick-Old-School_11.jpg

haha, but seriously,

IMO cash is the best thing you can offer. maybe you could just publicize that you are looking for pro's to join and that you pay out cash and maybe that will draw some interest

added cash from the club in the pro purse at local events, but only added to club members payout (could be part of their membership dues)

We have a fair amount, Henri. And Juke, I do see your point. Quite frankly, I'm starting to wonder why I do this in the first place. We just can't seem to make everyone happy all the time.

yeah, NC is boomin', i'm sure there is enough pros.

my guess is that the majority of the pros spend their free time playing tourneys and probably lack the time to get involved with leagues

yeah, NC is boomin', i'm sure there is enough pros.

my guess is that the majority of the pros spend their free time playing tourneys and probably lack the time to get involved with leagues

We have a lot of PDGA Advanced players that will play Pro at local events.

I think what bugs me the most is I don't want to 'cater' to the pros. Everyone deserves equal treatment and I don't want to do for anyone more than the other.

i think the clubs that do best are the ones that are super involved with tournaments and its obvious where their dues go to. The main local club around me has used the dues to by baskets, teepads, and other TD type stuff to improve the quality of the tournament. i think that is why membership in the club remains strong. bag tags are also a great option. can make a meaningless round meaningful.

Yea, this was the first year I worked on a DG club. Hopefully things like that will happen in the future. We did make some course improvements including signs and benches this year. Fed all the peeps at a couple of monthly's and member appreciation day, put on a halloween event. There's just only so far money goes and our member packs are pretty good.

who are the pros you speak of....? were do they play....? i have only been back in NC for 2yrs now so i dont know much about whats going on around here

I think I'm starting to feel that way, Snappy! I think about some of our biggest supporters and it's almost always new kids who aren't ready to play PDGA's or guys that just don't get into the whole PDGA scene itself.

Don't worry about the local pros, those boys just ain't that into the scene. Ain't nothing you can do about that.

Redirect your efforts to the people who want to show up and participate.

If you're talking about membership packages, there's no reason to not give everybody the same stuff. Pro's appreciate a custom stamp on a disc or a nice tee shirt as much as anyone else. No need to do something special to get pros to join your club - mostly you just have to stick a member app in their hands. I know I've belonged to upwards of 5 or more clubs at a time. You just can't keep track!

Don't concentrate on catering to anyone but yourself. Strive to put on the best events you can if that's your bag. Help to get a new course put in or help to maintain an existing one. And then advertise yourself to whoever you see on the course. You just being there all the time is usually advertisement enough. But however you spend your time and efforts please yourself with the quality of product you put out before you worry about trying to please everyone else. Cuz one follows the other.

Latest posts