• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Problem with Pro's

who are the pros you speak of....? were do they play....? i have only been back in NC for 2yrs now so i dont know much about whats going on around here

I don't know where you are, but we get some good seasoned players. You get a greater benefit playing with them at doubles though. We're divided by divisions mostly at monthly's. We're just outside of Raleigh.

Brian Schwebbie
Terry Gallops
Ron Hill (member)
Brian McRee
Justin Jernigan
Mike Hofmann
Kirk Yoo (Member)

Then an assortment of Advanced Players in the mid to upper 900's.

Agree with Craig and if they don't wanna join there is nothing you can do short of pandering to get them in.

At our tournament a few weeks ago everyone got a $10 PGA tour superstore gift card. You wouldn't believe how happy the pros were getting something for nothin'

Don't worry about the local pros, those boys just ain't that into the scene. Ain't nothing you can do about that.

Redirect your efforts to the people who want to show up and participate.

I agree....we just had a question from a pro who was thinking about joining. I thought I would throw my line out to see if other clubs are doing anything different.

And thanks for mentioning Nate Bond, he was at a lot of our events...and usually cleaned house...and usually seemed pretty content with his payouts! Discs and T-shirts for CTP's and Cash for Division wins.

From a personal standpoint: If you make getting an awesome bagtag a part of joining the club - I see that as a huge benefit as a pro. For me, personally, going for and then holding onto a really cool #1 tag against all comers is a lot of fun - and worth joining a club to try to do. I joined Savannah's DG Club for that primary purpose. I may join Jacksonville's soon as well for the same reason.

If you're talking about membership packages, there's no reason to not give everybody the same stuff. Pro's appreciate a custom stamp on a disc or a nice tee shirt as much as anyone else. No need to do something special to get pros to join your club - mostly you just have to stick a member app in their hands. I know I've belonged to upwards of 5 or more clubs at a time. You just can't keep track!

Don't concentrate on catering to anyone but yourself. Strive to put on the best events you can if that's your bag. Help to get a new course put in or help to maintain an existing one. And then advertise yourself to whoever you see on the course. You just being there all the time is usually advertisement enough. But however you spend your time and efforts please yourself with the quality of product you put out before you worry about trying to please everyone else. Cuz one follows the other.

:thmbup:

From a personal standpoint: If you make getting an awesome bagtag a part of joining the club - I see that as a huge benefit as a pro. For me, personally, going for and then holding onto a really cool #1 tag against all comers is a lot of fun - and worth joining a club to try to do. I joined Savannah's DG Club for that primary purpose. I may join Jacksonville's soon as well for the same reason.

We had good tags this year I think! We're already making new ones for next year. That is included in membership!!!

We had good tags this year I think! We're already making new ones for next year. That is included in membership!!!
What are they like? I believe something metallic is prime. Here are my favorites: http://wholesale-medals.com/disc_golf.html - I have the #1 tag from Metro Detroit from a few years back, in that style. I display it proudly. I have other #1s but that one is so damn cool! The profit for the club (they're sold at $10 value) isn't as large as with something cheaper, but they're worth it IMHO.

What are they like? I believe something metallic is prime. Here are my favorites: http://wholesale-medals.com/disc_golf.html - I have the #1 tag from Metro Detroit from a few years back, in that style. I display it proudly. I have other #1s but that one is so damn cool! The profit for the club (they're sold at $10 value) isn't as large as with something cheaper, but they're worth it IMHO.

/random observation

those look sweet, but they need a bigger hole, farther down in the material, to leave room for a carabiner.

/random observation

Discgolfscene is a great tool to promote events.
The majority of leauges and clubs used it for a state wide point series that seemed to boost local participation. More money, more pros. One can just click on a event or leauge and see all the info, ace pot, added cash, who's pre reg'd, along with a chat.

One of the membership clubs I belong to get many to join, even if many don't get the required rounds. Though I'm in no position with the club, I attribute it's high membership to a few factors:
Its been around over twenty years.
Membership includes premi, mini, and tee. Membership card has discounts including at a disc retailer ( though they have stock at decent prices). First day of collections is the one disc, so if you sign up that day you get an extra disc- usually dc rare.
They also are one of the few singles leauges. They have imo, an odd format- its no draw- play with whoever. Its also the only no cash game in town but the ability to split cards as you wish promotes gambling. It was also once the spot for dirty dollars- essentially mob skins, so each hole can be little in big out.

Good ideas guys, thanks! I do like those bag tags. We're still a young club...so we're made our own tags for now out of Balsam wood. They're very organic and cool.

I also like the Membership card/discounts idea.

Discgolfscene is a great tool to promote events.
The majority of leauges and clubs used it for a state wide point series that seemed to boost local participation. More money, more pros. One can just click on a event or leauge and see all the info, ace pot, added cash, who's pre reg'd, along with a chat.

One of the membership clubs I belong to get many to join, even if many don't get the required rounds. Though I'm in no position with the club, I attribute it's high membership to a few factors:
Its been around over twenty years.
Membership includes premi, mini, and tee. Membership card has discounts including at a disc retailer ( though they have stock at decent prices). First day of collections is the one disc, so if you sign up that day you get an extra disc- usually dc rare.
They also are one of the few singles leauges. They have imo, an odd format- its no draw- play with whoever. Its also the only no cash game in town but the ability to split cards as you wish promotes gambling. It was also once the spot for dirty dollars- essentially mob skins, so each hole can be little in big out.

I was at the 1 disc this year. I shot a 57 over 18 on the Monster shorts :hfive:

for my second round :doh:

Latest posts