• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The pros on your local course

What kind of rating would local pro need to make this a competition?

Well the top 10 guys seems to stay above 1035 playing a huge variety of courses all in tournament settings. So your local pros would need to average 1035s just to be competitive with the elite guys. They would have to shoot consistent 1060 rated rounds to stay above the elite touring players. Which I highly doubt they can. The top pros could practice your local course a few times and then would probably destroy almost any local pro. There is a reason they have the ratings they have, tons of skill and the ability to play on a all kinds of courses.

Last edited:
Well the top 10 guys seems to stay above 1035 playing a huge variety of courses all in tournament settings. So your local pros would need to average 1035s just to be competitive with the elite guys. They would have to shoot consistent 1060 rated rounds to stay above the elite touring players. Which I highly doubt they can. The top pros could practice your local course a few times and then would probably destroy almost any local pro. There is a reason they have the ratings they have, tons of skill and the ability to play on a all kinds of courses.
This for the most part is true. but you consistently see at a lot of A-tiers and even NT's that local stud that is always on the lead card at some point during the weekend. they may not always win but they string together enough hot rounds to keep them up at the top. MJ at the 2012 worlds is a perfect example. lead card of the final 9. So if it is just one round of golf a Local Pro could hold his own quite easily. I would say any rating in the 1020 (+/-5) range would give them a shot for 1 round

Is hawk hollow pay to play?
I am hoping Biscoe will chime in with the details.

I have only played it during the VTI where I am assuming our course fee is wrapped into the entry. Just got back from there last weekend. Man is Hawk Hollow a beautiful piece of property!

This for the most part is true. but you consistently see at a lot of A-tiers and even NT's that local stud that is always on the lead card at some point during the weekend. they may not always win but they string together enough hot rounds to keep them up at the top. MJ at the 2012 worlds is a perfect example. lead card of the final 9. So if it is just one round of golf a Local Pro could hold his own quite easily. I would say any rating in the 1020 (+/-5) range would give them a shot for 1 round

Now your getting into statistical variance.

McBeth is 1050 rated (over a bunch of rounds). Statistically he's just as capable of shooting a 1075 as a 1025. A 1020 rated player has the same likelihood of shooting 995 as 1045. So on a hot day, a 1020 guy will beat McBeths off day. That said, McBeth is statistically 3-4 strokes better than a 1020 rated player. Think about that, 3 to 4 strokes over tons of courses and rounds! That's astronomical.

MJ was 1026 rated at the time. There aren't that many people that are anywhere near that level (top 25 or so in the world). Heck, there were only a dozen guys playing Worlds that were rated higher than him at the time. He's a great woods course player so 2012 Worlds suited him well. I'm sure 2014 Portland would fit his game well too. I'd say the style of play impacts the "local guy getting hot" phenomenon more than them "knowing the courses". I think having a good fit between the style of golf you excel at and the course can buy you a couple (1 or 2) strokes. But you need a bunch of strokes to get near those Top 10 guys.

Ask Biscoe how many aces he included in his mention of 47 being perfect for his course (which he built on his land and is a top rated course on this website)

none- aces are fluke shots. a perfect round involves throwing the best shot you can expect of yourself to throw. perfect for guys who can bomb at hawk hollow is 47, perfect for me would be higher than that.

Barry Schultz - 2011 Tim Selinski US Masters @ Shawshank. This was a 27 hole layout (4 holes never used before or since) and I believe the par was 85. He shot a 74. The technical prowess required for that is beyond me. I was spotting for the event, so unfortunately only saw him a few times. The 74 was round 2, rated 1072. There were 3 rounds in the 70s (out of 372 recorded rounds for that event) in the long layout - Barry had 2 of them. 2nd place was 12 strokes behind him.

For reference, the MPO winner of the last event there had the hot 2nd round with a 66 (Dixon Jowers - 23 hole layout, par 71. 1030 rated

i dont think a touring pro would bother with my home course. and i would fully expect them to be able to shoot -18 or better.

I've often wondered what it would be like to see a touring pro play my home course. Because it's so open, the only challenge is distance. I've estimated that on an average day from the longs, they would score -14.

What touring Pro do you think could shoot the best on you local course. I watch videos of them playing all over the place and think that shot just wouldn't work here or that wouldn't be relevant. Like rollers. Being a great roller would no effect on my course.

I think Big Jerm would have a great shot at the course record at my local course Poor House. It has a lot of forehand friendly holes that demand a late fade to the right.

I held the course record at my home course with a 46 (11 under par) a while back and one guy that was visiting our course broke my record the 4th time he was there with a 45 (12 under par).
And I think it was the week after or something I did a 44 (13 under par).

Probably most touring pros would have a chance of breaking the course record if they just hit all the puts I missed (hole 6,8,9 & 13) and get a better layup on hole 11 to get the 3.

Attachments

• courserecordhusum.PNG
    courserecordhusum.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 33
Patrick Brown owns the course recrord at golden gate park at -16...well it is his home course. I've seen Cale throw a -15 during the weekly there which is pretty much amazing. Many top pros have played GGP, I think these are the best scores I've heard of.

Now your getting into statistical variance.

McBeth is 1050 rated (over a bunch of rounds). Statistically he's just as capable of shooting a 1075 as a 1025. A 1020 rated player has the same likelihood of shooting 995 as 1045. So on a hot day, a 1020 guy will beat McBeths off day. That said, McBeth is statistically 3-4 strokes better than a 1020 rated player. Think about that, 3 to 4 strokes over tons of courses and rounds! That's astronomical.

MJ was 1026 rated at the time. There aren't that many people that are anywhere near that level (top 25 or so in the world). Heck, there were only a dozen guys playing Worlds that were rated higher than him at the time. He's a great woods course player so 2012 Worlds suited him well. I'm sure 2014 Portland would fit his game well too. I'd say the style of play impacts the "local guy getting hot" phenomenon more than them "knowing the courses". I think having a good fit between the style of golf you excel at and the course can buy you a couple (1 or 2) strokes. But you need a bunch of strokes to get near those Top 10 guys.
I am not going to debate statistics as I have no experience with it other than entry level calculus that I took in college 18 years ago. it was an opinion and meant to be taken that way. I still stand by my opinion. But I do see your point about MJ and 1025+ rated golfers being a small percentage of home town hero's. that point i agree on. I could have probably dug up a better example to express my point. i was lazy and it was the first that came to mind

Same. I am wondering how the pros would do certain lines at Pier Park.
It has to be really cool to see the best players in the world descend on your home town course and watch how they play it. I could see it producing some shots you would never start to think of regularly.

Craig Gangloff- 52. Has stood for quite a while.

52 at Hawk Hollow is just stupid. Damn that craigger and his craftiness.

We play a couple different layouts at my home course Whispering Falls- current record is somewhere around 51/52/53 depending on which layout. Quite a few regional pros have shot those scores- Austin Pfaff, Jim Meyers, Erik Smith, Craigger, Tom Kim. Being mostly woods I imagine an East Coast pro like MJ could shoot mid to low 40's. That would be hitting everything.

Our other course, Ditto Farms, is fairly new and fresh and not quite as long, but still plenty of woods. Current record is 52 I believe. If you were to get everything I could see a 42-44.

Latest posts