• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Reptilian Disc Golf Thread

Yeah, that FF compliments a FF I bought off the marketplace recently. I really like that plastic, time to find more.

Finally felt well enough after surgery to get out and test the Gyrm last night. Let me just say, wow. I'm digging it.

First, the K1 plastic is translucent, shimmering, and looks beautiful. The flight plate has some give - more than Innova Champ, but is rigid enough to feel solid in the hand with a string power grip. It feels similar to Discraft Z or Trilogy opaque plastics, but with translucent finish.

I usually drive with a Prodigy D2/D3, and this fits right along with them. In initial field practice, it was a touch straighter than a Prodigy D2, a touch longer than a D3. A very good amalgamation of the two.

The rim is very comfortable in the hand, not Nuke or DD2 fat-lipped, fairly shallow, but the edge is not sharp like many high speed drivers. Just a very comfortable fit.

First hole I drove this with is a 500' field, guarded on the left side, tall grass to the right, that has a few trees, several grabby bushes, and ends with a significant uphill on the last 100'. Usually, I'm happy to get to the base of the uphill with a clean drive. However, the Gyrm turned right over the grass, held a long straight flight, then faded back with a solid finish and HUGE SKIP! I ended about 40' short of the basket - up the hill.

Meh. Must be a fluke. Three holes later, another 500' hole, this time completely flat, wide open fairway with a guarded basket. Full pull - flat release - the Gyrm flew out with a quick turn and then came back flat quickly again. It held flat for 75% of it's flight, then faded back right at the basket and had another crazy skip and ended about 60' from the basket.

I do not have a power arm by any means. 400' is usually a great drive for me. However, this disc just clicked and flies further than anything I've ever thrown in 13 years off playing.

It helps that it's decently understable as I'm still not back to full strength and my form has diminished from not driving for a few months, but it just felt really smooth and easy to pull distance from. Plus, the hard gravel at the end of these fairways made for some epic skips that really pushed forward at the end of flight!

Solid entry. Thanks to RDG for broadening my experience with a brand I had never given much thought to.

^ No doubt ^

Kastaplast makes amazing discs.
The Reko is MY putter now. It feels odd making discs and not using one as my chains disc but I can't argue with the results. They fit my hand like a glove and my confidence has never been higher.

Last edited:
What kind of surgery did you have. I mean damn, first day back and you're throwing 60' moar! :clap: :hfive:

^ No doubt ^

Kastaplast makes amazing discs.
The Reko is MY putter now. It feels odd making discs and not using one as my chains disc but I can't argue with the results. They fit my hand like a glove and my confidence has never been higher.

You can pry my Scales from my cold, dead hands! ;)

What kind of surgery did you have. I mean damn, first day back and you're throwing 60' moar! :clap: :hfive:

Ruptured discs between L5/S1 about 6 weeks ago.

My D2 thrown for comparison was hitting about 380' on my best drives, felt like I REALLY had to force it more, and wasn't as easily controlled. I had some nice wind here in Michigan yesterday, as well. It didn't hurt. ;) However, the Gyrm just felt so effortless and stayed in the air forever. In field practice on my lunch today, the D3 and Gyrm were both going about 350' - give or take on each throw - on a much calmer day of wind.

I think the initial super-success was mostly wind helping me get the disc up to speed, but still, I was DAMN amazed. In today's calmer air, it flew more like I expected, but with less effort and easier control.

RDG Update:

- our molder is currently modifying the Tyrant mold to shave down the flight plate and allow better plastic flow. Hoping to have some protos produced next week

- we have 50 blank Ptero and 50 blank Raptor waiting to be stamped/dyed/trimmed

- Reptile Style resin minis are on their way to me! Limited run by United Chains Disc Golf Supply
2zxyCsX.jpg

- RDG and Element discs are teaming up for some fun runs of plastic. Looking to do a Trilogy batch first. Here is the stamp drawing that we are going with
GVdsuP4.jpg

- I'm working on getting the coolest fundraiser in Craft DG history lined up for Tyrant closing costs

- New apparel options are in development for Faction/RDG

So I have 3 Serps and 2 Scales, I want more....but I have a problem....none of them have any significant wear or damage. Haha, not really a problem, but I'm amazed how Durable these are, like, crazy durable. One thing I noticed tho, 1 of my scales is crazy solid, like a rock, and it weighs 178g its just a brick. It was the Dom Clark stamped one. Curious if they ALL were that rock hard or if its a fluke? Either way, its one of my favorite discs

So I have 3 Serps and 2 Scales, I want more....but I have a problem....none of them have any significant wear or damage. Haha, not really a problem, but I'm amazed how Durable these are, like, crazy durable. One thing I noticed tho, 1 of my scales is crazy solid, like a rock, and it weighs 178g its just a brick. It was the Dom Clark stamped one. Curious if they ALL were that rock hard or if its a fluke? Either way, its one of my favorite discs

The latest run of Fossil Scales aren't that crazy firm.

All the Scales we have live on the site now are much softer than Fossil. The Chalk RFF's are some of my personal favorite as everyday throwers.

Quick question, how does that smaller fossa bag compare with a gecko? Capacity, comfort, all that good stuff. Thanks!

Latest posts