• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] The unLace

I played an all Vibram NutSac casual round this morning and took my UnLace out. I was trying some rollers with it today. It's very easy to get this disc to flip over and roll and I was getting some good distance. I need to dial it in some more (rollers aren't a strong part of my game) and get the angle right for my air time and good roll. But this is a great beginner distance roller disc! And just great for noodle arms such as myself.

Qikly, I concur. Today I tried throwing it with less power but more control, much like the finesse throws I make with Diamonds and Underworlds, and it flew flat and straight, and while not as far as when I rip it, still further than my other discs. I was surprised as hell that it would power down so well.

It is the rare wide-rimmed driver that flies true at lower speed.

Indeed. I had an awesome 325' throw on a hole with the teepad under a low (~10') ceiling: powering it down a bit in order to make sure I stayed below the ceiling, I was still able to turn it over from a serious hyzer angle and keep it afloat for that long about 7 ft off the ground. Even under those conditions, it barely fades back. Again, it has less fade than all the Underworlds I've thrown, which kind of blows my mind.

It's an amazing finesse disc. I feel like I'm going to learn a lot about release angles throwing this thing.

My wife gets her diamonds out about 200'- 250'
with just a little slide to the right (sometimes it will have an S shaped flight)
Is this thing going to be a big jump in distance for her?
Are they consistent enough she will have no problem learning what it will do?

My wife gets her diamonds out about 200'- 250'
with just a little slide to the right (sometimes it will have an S shaped flight)
Is this thing going to be a big jump in distance for her?
Are they consistent enough she will have no problem learning what it will do?

My guess would be yes. I've never thrown a Diamond, but as I said, this thing is noticeably more US than my Underworlds.

The nice thing is is that these are readily available in light weights, so you should easily find one in the low 160s, at least, for her.

It's very consistent. I'm still acclimating because of how US it is, but it was clear to me that it was a predictable disc.

Only concern might be how she feels about the rim, as it's a proper high speed driver width. Switching between it and my fairways felt funny to me, as I'd never had to adjust like that before.

So I sat my proto unlace in medium and my firm production on a counter to compare and the firm had a noticeably higher parting line and a dome similar to the medium but a flat spot on top. Won't be able to test till this weekend though, anyone seen Amy differences with theirs?

My brother had gotten a Firm in the same order I had gotten the Medium. I haven't thrown his Firm, but its PLH is indeed higher than my Medium. Domes are about the same; the Firm may be slightly higher.

Will report back late next week on whether there are any flight differences.

okay all this talk of added distance has me interested. I tend to throw lighter discs - especially drivers. I'm seeing them as low as 160g. Should I go a little higher than my normal compensate for the natural flippiness? Anybody have experience with relatively light unLaces - say 164-165g?

Any reason why the unLace is missing form the inbounds flight guide? Also, I hope I don't get flamed for this, but anybody feel like the the "unLace" is a stupid name for a disc. I mean Lace was pretty bad, but unLace just seems lazy. That being said, I do want to try this disc, Vibram makes some good stuff, they just need a better marketing department ;)

okay all this talk of added distance has me interested. I tend to throw lighter discs - especially drivers. I'm seeing them as low as 160g. Should I go a little higher than my normal compensate for the natural flippiness? Anybody have experience with relatively light unLaces - say 164-165g?

Mine is 166, which seems just about right for my power.

Any reason why the unLace is missing form the inbounds flight guide? Also, I hope I don't get flamed for this, but anybody feel like the the "unLace" is a stupid name for a disc. I mean Lace was pretty bad, but unLace just seems lazy. That being said, I do want to try this disc, Vibram makes some good stuff, they just need a better marketing department ;)

Yeah, I'm not going to defend the name any, but at least it gives you a clear idea of where it sits (more understable than the Lace). Points for practicality, at least.

Infinite Discs shows a (pretty accurate) chart on their unLace page, but it doesn't seem to come up with you go to Inbounds. Not much to see chart-wise, IMHO: she's an ultra US distance driver through-and-through.

I can throw my Champ Mamba (that I just lost) pretty dang good 95% of the time but that other 5% is pretty wild what could happen. I'm a beginner but I've got decent power for just starting out so you guys are really selling me on this. If it's a little more forgiving than the Mamba it seems to be perfect for me.

As a noodle arm that doesn't throw max D drivers, this disc has piqued my interest.

How does a 160 fly compared to max weigh?

Has anyone thought of posting a video of how their unLace is flying? I watched the unLace review video in another thread and am very interested if it really flies that way or if its a result of OAT.

Here's some footage from my first full round with the r419b. I had some field footage after the round that didn't turn out, but here's at least a little teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIcM4Y2NHe4&feature=youtu.be

Hit the yellow band on my third throw ever with this disc!

Trizzor, Here's a video of my Proto Unlace I made when I first got it. Keep in mind, I also have terrible form and it's 163g.

Has anyone thought of posting a video of how their unLace is flying? I watched the unLace review video in another thread and am very interested if it really flies that way or if its a result of OAT.

Trizzor, Here's a video of my Proto Unlace I made when I first got it. Keep in mind, I also have terrible form and it's 163g.

Thanks, I didn't think of searching for 419b!
Also, what was the distance on that last shot when you hit the top of the basket?

Thanks, I didn't think of searching for 419b!
Also, what was the distance on that last shot when you hit the top of the basket?

Right around 250'. So a hole I'd normally throw a mid on anyways, but for the sake of testing I was trying it from every tee. As you can see it powers down pretty good actually.

I've started throwing my unLace better, I was getting nothing but turn-over burns when I started with it... it does power down well.

It got me thinking, how is this disc going to beat in? Is it going to become even more understable?

Latest posts