• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw a putter to help your distance driving - worst advice of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

Still, what can be learned with a putter can be learned with a Teebird or a Leopard. So telling people to throw a Putter is like a dark practical joke that people are pulling on real people wanting advice here.

You're attacking a straw man. Hardly anyone ever says "the Leo is too much disc for you!". The Pro Leo is probably the most often recommended noob driver out there, and the champ Teebird is probably the most often recommended overstable headwind driver for beginngers.

This thread is blatant troll bait but it's a slow night and this is too good to pass up!

I sucked at throwing drivers, and couldn't throw smoothly at all, until my friend recommended that I tried throwing a putter-only round. It helped me throw my DRIVERS so much better, because it made me slow down and throw more smoothly. Just because you don't see any benefit in it doesn't mean it's horrible advice, you aren't a disc golf god. It seems to have worked for 90% of the people on here, don't bitch people out for giving good advice.

It's not good advice. You slowed down. You could have slowed down with a Teebird or a Leopard. You could have slowed down to Barry Shultz advice on his YouTube video.

Point is, throwing a putter if you want to practice your putter. Throw a driver if you want to learn a driver.

If you can throw a neutral putter (Voodoo, Aviar, Challenger, etc.) on a clean straight line, you can throw a Teebird or faster on a good clean line.

However, I know lots of people that can throw a Teebird well but not a neutral putter.

I took the bait and made a reasonable post right away that cleared things up. I decided to go about my day, and to my surprise after starting laundry and putting in the backyard here we somehow are 80 posts later?

You're attacking a straw man. Hardly anyone ever says "the Leo is too much disc for you!". The Pro Leo is probably the most often recommended noob driver out there, and the champ Teebird is probably the most often recommended overstable headwind driver for beginngers.

This thread is blatant troll bait but it's a slow night and this is too good to pass up!

No, I left a thread telling someone who was throwing a Boss, who wanted to disc down. I said to throw a Leopard or a Teebird, and my posts, like here, were attacked, and they told the person to throw putters in a field... that would help with throwing the Boss. It is garbage advice.

No distance 250' to 280'.

Okay, thanks for almost answering the question...
Since you gave your distance, ill use that to guess that your probally throwing no more then 20ft high.
Try throwing your discs higher. You may find this easier to learn with a putter as well as the mechanics needed to throw high.

If you can throw a neutral putter (Voodoo, Aviar, Challenger, etc.) on a clean straight line, you can throw a Teebird or faster on a good clean line.

However, I know lots of people that can throw a Teebird well but not a neutral putter.

That is a reasonable post, but you are not promising to throw drivers, you are making a suggestion on how to throw a clean, straight line. That is good advice. And as you said, People can do that with a Teebird, but not a neutral putter, so my advice to those people, is throw a neutral putter.

No, I left a thread telling someone who was throwing a Boss, who wanted to disc down. I said to throw a Leopard or a Teebird, and my posts, like here, were attacked, and they told the person to throw putters in a field... that would help with throwing the Boss. It is garbage advice.

I hope you appreciate the irony in telling people throwing putters won't help them learn to throw Teebirds, just because you're butthurt that people said throwing Teebirds won't help you learn to throw a Boss.

Okay, thanks for almost answering the question...
Since you gave your distance, ill use that to guess that your probally throwing no more then 20ft high.
Try throwing your discs higher. You may find this easier to learn with a putter as well as the mechanics needed to throw high.

I throw my drivers the lowest, next the Roc a little higher, then the putter highest. I do not know exactly how high off the ground I am throwing it, but I try to not let it get too much higher than my Roc.

I hope you appreciate the irony in telling people throwing putters won't help them learn to throw Teebirds, just because you're butthurt that people said throwing Teebirds won't help you learn to throw a Boss.

No, it will not, but it is a great place to disc down to. If a person can not get the speed up on a Boss, they should look into Blizzard plastic for that mold. Is that so wrong?

I actually just had a thread where others recommended a putter when I wanted advice for discing down. Even after a few throws I was getting better shots with putters. I played two round with just putters and midrange discs. I decided to toss my distance driver and saw in instant increase in distance. Needless to say, within a day just using a putter, i realized flaws in my form and my distance with drivers increased. I know that im not completely where I should be but the instant distance change is pretty good proof.

I think enough people have posted their success stories to utterly disprove this OP.

Good job everyone! :thmbup:

I throw my drivers the lowest, next the Roc a little higher, then the putter highest. I do not know exactly how high off the ground I am throwing it, but I try to not let it get too much higher than my Roc.

Why dont you try to throw higher?

you seem like youd be a real hoot to talk with about topics that actually matter.

that being said, yer dumb. throwing a putter teaches good clean form. if you teach your self to throw a putter 300ft then you will more than likely be able to push your drivers pretty far with some of the same mechanics you learned throwing a putter. throwing a teebird will not help you as much because it will fight out of a throw with OAT on it. people develop bad habits when they try to push a driver farther. can you learn good form practicing with fairways? sure you can but putters will show you what you are doing wrong and make it easier to learn and correct. thats just how i feel about it. for anyone that doesnt agree i promise not to get all butthurt and make a whiny thread.

It's not good advice. You slowed down. You could have slowed down with a Teebird or a Leopard. You could have slowed down to Barry Shultz advice on his YouTube video.

Point is, throwing a putter if you want to practice your putter. Throw a driver if you want to learn a driver.

:doh:

Like someone else said, just because you're butthurt that your post(s) got knocked in a different thread doesn't justify you starting this one. You're a moron and have the IQ of a walnut.

PUTTERS TEACH FORM. FORM TRANSLATES TO BETTER DRIVER DISTANCE.

****ing idiot.

The thing about putters is that the exagerate any type of flaw in your technique. It you have any OAT or jerkiness in your throw, and a putter will fly like crap. Most likely turns and burns. If you learn to throw it well, you are learning smooth, proper technique that translates to other discs. Every notch you step up in speed, is a notch more OAT masking.
I learned to throw a Rattler quite far, mostly to see if I could. It took some getting used to, but once I did I instantly noticed my distance and accuracy withy other discs had jumped dramatically.
Perhaps it doesn't work for you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for most others.

Calling a man an idiot has nothing to do with this thread...why the name calling...jeez, my students know the golden rule and you guys should too :)

I'm pretty sure if I can throw my groove like 250 I'll be set to take home the Men's Open title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts