• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Straight

Let me ask you this: how far can you throw your mid ranges and putters? At 250, those drivers are really under powered. That's why you're getting the big fade, even with the understable ones. Now if you can get your mids to 250, then there may be some other issues, but right now it sounds like a basic snap/power issue. To get the true flight of tthose discs, they really need about 330+ ft of power.

You best approach would be to spend time driving your slower discs (mid ranges and putters) and working on a clean release, with late acceleration. there are a host of videos on youtube and other threads in this section on the subject.

A Flx Avenger SS, Champion Sidewinder, and a DX Viking. I can usually throw around 250'

A lot of people on this site, including myself, would recommend using slower discs and working on form until you can throw a putter about as far as you are getting drivers. There are a ton of great threads on here about form. There are also some really good videos on youtube.

I would definitely suggest getting some slower discs though. Practice using whatever putter you are comfortable with as well as a mid that is not too overstable (comet or buzzz are good)

Edit: I see toothyfish beat me to it.

When I try to give it OAT, it goes off to the left.

:p If you're interested, read up on some form articles. You are (likely) OATing the disc, and when you don't you are throwing speed 9/10 discs only 250'. These discs are intended to fly further, and when you throw them shorter they will act more overstable and fade fast.

Edit: Everyone beat me to it.

When I try to give it snap, it goes off to the left.

We were typing at the same time: it definately sounds like a timing issue. When you try to give it a little gas, you're pulling.

the above advice is still the answer, though. Do a youtube search for Dan Beato. There is a video on there where he works on driving technique on step at a time, starting withh the basic snap, and slowling adding steps and reaching further back.

get something with a 0 stability rating, or close to it. i'd recommend getting a buzzz or mako and learn how to throw those straight. especially the mako, because if you're doing something wrong, you'll know with the mako.

I've been practicing drives with my Pro-D Challenger and DX Shark (both my favorite mid range discs).

Those are fine discs to work with. Neither is really over or understable, but in the middle. WIth good form and snap, both should fly nice, flat, and straight with just a little fade at the end.

another thought, what's your grip like? cause if you're getting snap and holding it wrong, or different/oddly, that may be why. i use Climos grip from a video where hes bombing a first run Buzzz. he holds it like a fork.