• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Straight

Team Comet! They fly straighter than a Mako which flies straighter than a Buzzz! Haw haw. But seriously OP check out a neutral disc like that, it will help tremendously, and compliment your shark. (I think?)

Go find the discing down thread. Read it all. listen to the guys that have been playing a while. I have been working putters and mids for a while. I am improving. You will be surprised how far you can get a putter once you commit

A Flx Avenger SS, Champion Sidewinder, and a DX Viking. I can usually throw around 250'

Simple Answer: Get LIGHTER discs.
Your problem is that you arent getting the disc up to speed (some would say "power" although incorrectly applied.) Until you can get a disc up to speed EVERY DISC will be a meathook; you cant fight the flight dynamics of the disc.
I say this because all of the discs you throw, when pushed to (around) 300' will fly flat and have "understable" (left to right "drift" before the final hooking end : RHBH) tendencies. In short, the problem is YOU. If you are driving 175g discs drop to the 168-170g range... (or as accordingly based on your current weights.)
* It could also be that your discs are not beaten in, but i doubt it.

Long Answer:
Until you have the proper technique (speed, power, snap and form) the discs you are throwing tend to be too much for you. Much like the many posters ahead of me, you are throwing discs that are (still) too advanced for you. The plus with this method is you probably get 30-40' longer than any other disc, but you lose accuracy. you SHOULD disc down and play with more controllable discs, but it would be ok for you to keep trying with your current stack until you reach the 300' mark and really lock in that throw, albeit "improper" so-to-say.
*** BTW - keep working on your snap; snap is probably the most important aspect of throwing after you've mastered the requisite throwing techniques... you can never have too much... your issue is that (even with amazing snap) you are still throwing the disc with insufficient speed (aka "power"). Once you get too much power (disc "flips" and drifts right) you can control the "drift" with snap, you can extend your range greatly, and push slower discs (putters, etc) a lot farther and take advantage of their great control.

hope it helps.
happy discing & welcome to the sport.

I found today that if I throw palm up, I can get more spin. This increased my distance and accuracy on the course today. I used my Challenger as a driver and found it pretty accurate. I found that my Champion Sidewinder is extremely unforgiving when not enough snap is applied.

What are some good drivers for someone like me? I currently use a FLX Avenger SS, Champion Teebird, Champion Sidewinder, a DX Valkyrie, a DX Whippet, and a DX Viking.

Palm up BH is wrist roll over err oat. This may give you more spin, but you need to learn to snap. How far is the Challenger going and what is the flight path?

First and foremost, DON'T BUY ANOTHER DISC. not one .. seriously ..

You have that Shark, so use it. I went through a phase of buying everything I could convinced that if I just got the right disc, it would cure all of my problems. The issue isn't with the disc, it's with you.

I think you're on the money with the Sidewinder and AvengerSS, go play a few rounds with JUST that shark. Don't even bring a putter. Set your bag down, and make up your mind to play a few weeks using nothing but that. I did that with my Buzzz, and ended up throwing the best round I'd ever thrown (drivers or no) on our course within a few days.

I'm still learning too, but I figured some of these 'stages' out a little too late. Once you get enough power on that sidewinder, you should start to see high-speed turn from it (rolling to your left shortly after leaving your hand, then slowly coming back if you're LHBH), and that's when you'll know that you're starting to get on it correctly. It's an understable disc, and a great one to learn with.

just my 2 cents ...

FLX Avenger SS, Champion Teebird, Champion Sidewinder, a DX Valkyrie, a DX Whippet, and a DX Viking.

I've found that without enough snap behind them, the Sidewinder and Starfire have a wicked turn.

Im not suprised. You shouldnt be using any of these at your distance, except maybe for the Whippet for an overstable disc cause its supposed to turn left.