• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for a player with slight disability

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
A friend of mine of over 10 years picked up disc golf a few months ago. Since then, he's been gung-ho, ready to play in any weather.

However, he's developing some bad habits in his throwing form. He's watched all the videos, and he and I have worked on it some, but I'm beginning to think it has a lot to do with his ankles.
He was born with CTEV, (club feet.) So his ankles were essentially broken and reset at birth. The effect being that now in his mid-20s, the base of his leg bone basically sits on the top of the connecting bone in his feet, grinding and grinding with no ligaments/etc to buffer. Aside from the pain it causes him during/after a round of DG, it also prevents him from bending his feet/ankles at all. So that nimble, light-footed x-step is impossible for him. So his run-up is very stiff, and being unable to stay up on his toes, his weight falls backwards (balancing on the middle of his feet/heels) on release and throws a lot of unintentional anhyzers.

He also throws a lot of skyrockets. And while I know that's a very typical problem for noobs on longer drive attempts, I think that this too has to do with his ankles. At the beginning of a DG weekend, he throws with great control and nose angle. But as the day/weekend wears on, he begins to throw skyrockets. My feeling is that because putting pressure on his ankles is painful, he stops shifting his weight forward on the pull-through, and releases with his weight almost entirely centered.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know a player with similar challenges, and if so, what have they done that has helped them?

2) Would he be better off throwing from a standstill?

3) What drills would you recommend?

One thing I've considered is teaching him to throw forehand. Weight shift and run-up, while still part of FH throws, aren't as violent on the lower body as backhand is. And throwing from a standstill is much easier (in my own experience.) What do you think?

Towel snap drill. With his disability he needs to focus on his arm movements. He will be able to hit 350 from a standstill with the right form, so he should not get too discouraged by the nimble X steppers.
Personally I put more force on my ankles during sidearm shots, but could just be my own form flaws.

Due to ADA, your friend can be excluded from all parts of rule 801.03, but he would have to inform the TD of his disability.

From DGR: Right pec drill...

Also, find the Dan Beato video on youtube. Prerube hit the main point. Minimizing the amount he relies on his lower body and focus on getting clean, late acceleration. Building from the hit back until he reaches a point where he must comprimise the run up. In all reality, we all need to do this, but expecially in his case.

Throwing from a standstill, or maybe just the last step into the throw might be good for him. Again, if he's getting thrown off balance during the run up, then he's better off not to do one.

Aside from that, I think it's cool that he wants to play and is willing to work through this. Tell him to keep with it and not to get discouraged. So much of the game is about shorter range shot making and putting, anyway.

Talk to gcr_russell. He has knee problems, and can throw 450' from a dead standstill (I've witnessed it first hand, otherwise I wouldn't believe it myself).

A wide range of motion in the hips and core should help generate and dissipate energy during his shot and follow through. He's going to have to play within his own limits. I'd think overhands would require the least amount of play in the ankles.

I would say try a one step, and focus on the mechanics of the shoulders and hips.....My brother has club feet....not sure if his surgery was similar, but I do understand the concern. I have a buddy who can one step rocs almost 400ft, but his form is pretty textbook

Maybe try the forehand throw. In general I think it is a bit easier on the body. Otherwise like someone else said, a standstill drive when done correctly can produce great distance.

At the beginning of a DG weekend, he throws with great control and nose angle. But as the day/weekend wears on, he begins to throw skyrockets. My feeling is that because putting pressure on his ankles is painful, he stops shifting his weight forward on the pull-through, and releases with his weight almost entirely centered.

That very well could be an ankle/pain issue, but you might also want to consider fatigue in his back contributing to this too.

BTW, thanks for the thread - its inspiring and encouraging to see someone with the love of the game push through not let himself be limited.

Any advice on how to throw farther with CP

Hi guys I have cerebral palsy and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips or advice on how to to get more distance on my throwing as a LH/BH and LH/FH player. I can get to about 130-150ft with a standstill throwing back and if I throw correctly. Forehand not that far. Some tips or advice would be greatly appreciated I would love to be able to keep up with my friends on the course. Thanks everyone

Hi guys I have cerebral palsy and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips or advice on how to to get more distance on my throwing as a LH/BH and LH/FH player. I can get to about 130-150ft with a standstill throwing back and if I throw correctly. Forehand not that far. Some tips or advice would be greatly appreciated I would love to be able to keep up with my friends on the course. Thanks everyone

Cerebral Palsy is a disorder that impact a VAST array of movement, muscle tone, balance, and posture. I think you might have to outline how your disorder impacts your ability to throw. Most form queries are better posed with a short video of your throw. Given those things, there are some terrific technique "gurus" here that might be able to give some advice and drills to get you down the fairway with your friends.

Research very light discs. You can get both understable and overstable discs anywhere from 105-140g. Those should add some easy distance for you.

I'm far from a technique guru, but I'm thinking the people who are could help more if they saw what you're doing (or aren't doing).

As Ru4, your condition can manifest itself in a lot of different ways. I can't imagine they'd be able to coach you up without having at least a decent idea of what's going right or wrong to begin with.

I think the above post about understanding exactly how your CP has affected your mobility/strength is very pertinent. If you have specific questions as you go forward or try to apply DGCR advice, it may be worth asking. But here are some tips:

1) Disc selection does matter. In general you want to find something that doesn't fade out too quickly. I think something in the speed 5-6 range, kind of light, and stable-to-understable is a great choice. If I was to buy a disc for you, it would be a 150s X Stratus.
2) Embrace that a disability may limit your disc golf game, but do continue to work on all the basics (footwork, weight shift, hip rotation, swing plane, grip, release angles... and improving your forehand!)
3) Play catch with people, either using putters or standard catch discs.