• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for throwing flat and low?

tlatoani

Bogey Member
Hi All,
Been playing with my girlfriend for several months now. She's having a hard time NOT throwing a big, high hyzer. She throws RHBH, probably 150' or so. Any ideas for things to try to help? If she just relaxes and throws nice and easy it goes flat, but obviously not very far. Normal throws go UP and then make a hard left. She's tried a lightweight valkyrie and a buzzz mainly and a few throws with others, but the disc doesn't seem to matter much. She's getting frustrated lately that things aren't getting better. :wall:

Thanks!

she's throwing nose up. This has to do mostly with hand flexibility and grip strength and orientation.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

that is a very good source for grip information. also for flexibility look around on guitar sites for "fret hand flexibility exercises". I used those when I attempted to play guitar oh so many years ago. they work.

and since it's your special lady friend we're talking about, don't put a lot of pressure on her. don't make dg a wedge in your relationship.

Cool, thanks!
She's the stubborn one that is getting mad at herself. I enjoy playing with her no matter how well we do. She's a bit competitive though :p
I can't play tonight so she has decided to go throw a bunch until she figures it out. I'll pass along the tips.

Sounds like maybe weight transfer? If she stays smooth and throws low, but tries to 'power up' and it goes nose up, could be that she's not getting her weight forward on the harder throws due to rushing it.

hyzell's onto something with the "shoulder punch" thing. When I was working on this, I imagined a sliding glass door at the end of the pad or at my release point, and tried to "break" the glass with my shoulder first.

Somebody on here a while back talked about doing practice throws through something like a picinic shelter, sort of forces you to keep it lower...?

If she's really into fixing it, take a quick vid and post it in the form analysis. 'winder 22'll straighten her right out.

Last edited:
tell her to try to punch the target with her right shoulder
Sorry Chris, but even though I have been playing disc golf for 30+ years I don't know what this means or what it might look like in a throw. Perhaps you can elaborate and clarify.

This is, by far, the most common way that new players throw. Fortunately it is very easily corrected. If I saw her in person I'm confident that I could have her throwing flat and straight in 5-10 minutes.

Are there any experienced female players that you guys know? Another woman would be the ideal teacher. A boyfriend of husband is usually the worst teacher; I speak from experience.

Here are some suggestions:

• Make sure she is using the right disc. Get her a 150 gram Shark in DX plastic. Used if possible. Use light base plastic and Do Not use a disc that is too stable. If anything err on the side of using a disc that is too understable.
Here are some training steps to begin with until she throws flat:
(This would take 2 minutes to show but takes many words to explain.)
1) Do not use a run up or any foot work at all. Have her stand with her feet slightly wider than her shoulders. If she is right handed have her right shoulder pointing toward the basket. You could also draw a straight line from her left toes through the right toes to the basket.
2) Have her locate the bottom of her sternum/ aka breast bone. (I just learned that this called the Xiphoid process.) This is the spot where both sides of the ribs come together. She should press in on it with her finger to locate it. For guys the general area is the pec muscle, but that is rather general. (Other people sometimes suggest a popular part of female anatomy, but I think this is a little too high. Plus the discussions quickly get sidetracked by juvenile comments.)
3) Have her hold a disc with the near edge touching the bottom of the breast bone/ Xiphoid process.
4) Now use some imagination. Pretend that there is a long flat counter that is the same height as this point on the bottom of her breast bone. Move the disc straight back in a line along the "counter" top then bring back straight through on the counter until the disc is released. The motion is similar to pulling a lawn mower cord.
5) THE KEY is that all edges of the disc remain flat. Most importantly the far edge and near edge are flat and on the same plane. You can practice this and see it by dragging a disc in a straight line on a kitchen counter or a long desk. If needed, without even holding the disc, just push it in a line on a counter to see what it looks like flat. If the far edge (away from the body) dips down then the throw will go left.
5) Keep the shoulders straight. Do Not dip the left shoulder. The up angle comes from lowering the left shoulder, leaning back, and throwing the disc from low to high. The hand and disc should stay on a straight line.

Practice this on a private open field where it is just the two of you so that she doesn't get embarrassed until she gets the hang of it. Don't worry at all about distance; once she is throwing flat she will gain more distance. Throw toward some object if you like.

Once she learns how to throw flat, later on she can add footwork to gain more power.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions about what I have said.

I'm confident that she will get this resolved very quickly!

Last edited:
I tried to make the instructions as clear as possible, so please let me know how she does. I'm interested to see how it works out for her.

After following the instructions from Olorin, and after she's become frustrated with you telling her how to do it, walk out about 150 ft, turn your back to her, and tell her to throw the disc at you. Shouldn't take her too many tries to nail you between the shoulder blades. ;)

Practice throwing down hill. Throwing parallel to the ground on a down hill shot will help with getting the feel for the mechanics . First time she gets it parallel to the slope and bombs one 250, it will reignite the desire for the game. Anther good one for breaking the high stall hyzer habit is to throw at a soccer field that doesn't have nets on the goals. Get about fifty feet away from the goal and throw shots that go under the cross bar.

After following the instructions from Olorin, and after she's become frustrated with you telling her how to do it, walk out about 150 ft, turn your back to her, and tell her to throw the disc at you. Shouldn't take her too many tries to nail you between the shoulder blades. ;)

Once she gets this, to teach her to throw with added power, give her a huge stack of discs then resume your position and mention to her that you think her best friend/sister/mother etc is better looking. :popcorn:

LOL ^^^ so true.

She is now throwing much flatter, and is quite happy. Some throws come out low, some not so much. But she's making progress!
thanks all.

Disc Golf Tips for Disc Golf Beginners on Facebook has a video practicing throwing flat through overcompensating. In short put a target on the ground 50' ahead and work at hitting it. Then move it back and work at hitting it again, and repeat. Overtime you will gain muscle memory to throw flat.
Haven't tried myself since that isn't one of my problems.

she's throwing nose up. This has to do mostly with hand flexibility and grip strength and orientation.

that is a very good source for grip information. also for flexibility look around on guitar sites for "fret hand flexibility exercises". I used those when I attempted to play guitar oh so many years ago. they work.

and since it's your special lady friend we're talking about, don't put a lot of pressure on her. don't make dg a wedge in your relationship.

Thanks for that link. I have been having nose up issues lately and my grip has definitely been a problem. That is the best piece on proper grip I have seen yet (Thanks Blake!)

Whoa!! Thanks for the link! Best beginner info EVAR!

Latest posts