• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toe or Heel?

I think people look at it backwards sometimes. What's usually the case is that getting your weight shift correct will cause you to pivot on your heel, not the other way around.

I think people look at it backwards sometimes. What's usually the case is that getting your weight shift correct will cause you to pivot on your heel, not the other way around.

I was curious about that. I have never focused on where I pivot, and always just assumed I did it on the balls of my feet because of my background in other sports where you stay on the balls of your feet. What I have done is make sure that I had a good weight shift. Seeing myself on video was the first time I noticed that I pivot on my heel.

Pros encourage heel rotation, but truthfully I haven't gotten it yet (used to pivoting in basketball) and I can still throw 400' golf shots so...

I am trying to learn heel rotation though, I'd like to throw pro level 500' golf shots, lol.

Ever film yourself throwing? I ask becuase I was convinced that I had a toe pivot until I watched video of myself. I've been heel pivoting the whole time.

I'd like to point out that it can be toe-heel-toe. When you plant your foot, you can put the toe down first but as your weight comes forward your heal should come down and as you start rotating your toe should come up just slightly so that you don't wrench your knee (flat feet are bad).

While technically "correct" explaining it like that over complicates things. Your toe comes down first yes. But we aren't pivoting on it until the heel comes down. You turn on your heal first then toe. Or not on your heel at all, which is a separate issue.

I really really like this. Timing my weight shift better got my heel on the ground, I use to be all toe, and let my hips transfer a lot more power.

Ever film yourself throwing? I ask becuase I was convinced that I had a toe pivot until I watched video of myself. I've been heel pivoting the whole time.

I typically do about every 2-3 months. Last time I did it was mainly distance throws (more of a literal RUN-up) but it went toe-to-forefoot. So it's not a pure toe pivot, but I never got heel rotation (as in literal toes off the ground like some of the pros). I'm probably due for some more video work, and I'll post it when I do. I'm always looking for ways to improve so any heel pivoting advice will be helpful.

I typically do about every 2-3 months. Last time I did it was mainly distance throws (more of a literal RUN-up) but it went toe-to-forefoot. So it's not a pure toe pivot, but I never got heel rotation (as in literal toes off the ground like some of the pros). I'm probably due for some more video work, and I'll post it when I do. I'm always looking for ways to improve so any heel pivoting advice will be helpful.

The faster you're moving forward, the harder it is to get your hips lined up and your weight distributed properly. Feeling the rocking motion in your hips that will result in a heel pivot is a lot easier when you're standing still. Many of the videos that sidewinder22 links in the form analysis sub-forum are dedicated to this topic.

I get it and I'm going to try it. Has anyone worked up a clear concise instruction guide to making this change? Seems like something you want to carefully transition into so you don't get hurt. Anyone got a step by step guide? Would make a great video.

(and yes I've seen Feldberg et al video, but he doesn't really tell you HOW to pivot on your heel.)

I get it and I'm going to try it. Has anyone worked up a clear concise instruction guide to making this change? Seems like something you want to carefully transition into so you don't get hurt. Anyone got a step by step guide? Would make a great video.

(and yes I've seen Feldberg et al video, but he doesn't really tell you HOW to pivot on your heel.)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55947