• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 5/10 All Time Greats List

some of these lists look lame af

1. The Champ
2. Pablo
3. Barry
4. Wisecup
5. Nikko

i don't think anyone else is in the conversation. maybe Doss, Ricky, Feldberg, in that order

Nikko above Doss/Wysocki? I'm struggling with that choice? He had two years where he was the best but still didn't win Worlds in that time, since then he's been all over the place.

Wisecup is one I've never got to see playing but again seems a bit of a stretch over 3 x Doss (in a far more competitive era,) Doss has been consistently at the top of the game for the best part of 18 years now and was the new youth that came through to end the old guards dominance.

This is hard, i´m going to start with FPO.

1. Juliana Korver
2. Paige Pierce
3. Des Reading
4. Elaine King
5. Valarie Jenkins

Kind of fun stat. . according to PDGA Klimo and Korver both has 223 Career Wins

But Klimo has 456 Career Events. . .Korver only 315

So Juliana Korver has 223 Career Wins in just 315 Career Events. . .thats just NUTS!!

But for me it´s fun that the two best, Climo and Korver has the same amount of wins. . .let´s go Juliana, play a smaller event and win to get one up on Climo :)

MPO:
Climo
McBeth
Barry
Ricky
Doss/Feldberg/Nikko

Laying out some numbers. Didn't get into others like Major Wins, NT/A-Tier Wins, Top X Finishes, etc. The "Dominant Seasons" article linked below goes into those.

World Championships:
Climo 12
McBeth 5
Doss 3
Barry 2
Ricky 2
Feldberg 1

USDGC:
Climo 5
Barry 3
McBeth 2
Nikko 1
Doss 1
Feldberg 1

Winning Percentage:
Climo 48.9
Barry 43.7
McBeth 37.8
Ricky 33.6
Nikko 29.1
Feldberg 20.8
Doss 13.6

Player of the Year:
Climo 11
Barry 5
McBeth 4
Ricky 3
Nikko 3

Dominant Seasons:
McBeth #1, #4
Climo # 2, #3
Ricky #5
Barry #6

Stumbled upon this article that presents a methodology for ranking dominant seasons. Since I'm comparing the MPO, I used the MPO seasons on the list.

It's weird to see people putting Nikko on top 5 lists, and not seeing Schusterick. Neither won Worlds, but Will is 3x US champ and in an arguably smaller window of truly competitive touring golf. Nikko did win NT PotY a couple times though.

It's weird to see people putting Nikko on top 5 lists, and not seeing Schusterick. Neither won Worlds, but Will is 3x US champ and in an arguably smaller window of truly competitive touring golf. Nikko did win NT PotY a couple times though.

Likely because people value sustained success/high level play. I considered Schusterick for one of the "in the conversation" spots but he has dropped off so much. He's currently sub-1000 rated. Meanwhile Nikko is currently at 1023. Barry is currently rated 1028!

Only Climo, Barry, and McBeth have won Player of the Year more times than Nikko (tied at 3 with Ricky.)

Elaine and Des have both kept competing primarily in FPO as masters aged players. Juliana walked away.

Tru, but the field in FPO masters is NOT big at all. . .so quite "easy" to rack up wins for a good player.

If Juliana got her 223 wins in mostly open FPO at a 70% win rate, thats even more impressive

But it´s fun that Elaine still plays in open, would have been fun to see Juliana out there

At her peak Juliana was rated 968, thats just a few points of Paiges rating today

I wonder how much more Paul need´s to win before most people place him before Climo?

I wonder how much more Paul need´s to win before most people place him before Climo?

P McB is the greatest champion disc golf has seen. I don't think it's close. Not taking anything away from Climo and the other guys, but I think of their era as the "leatherheads" of disc golf. They were the best for their era, but it is a new era.

Tru, but the field in FPO masters is NOT big at all. . .so quite "easy" to rack up wins for a good player.

If Juliana got her 223 wins in mostly open FPO at a 70% win rate, thats even more impressive

But it´s fun that Elaine still plays in open, would have been fun to see Juliana out there

At her peak Juliana was rated 968, thats just a few points of Paiges rating today

You misunderstood what I was saying.

There is no such thing as "FPO masters"- FPO=Female Professional Open. Elaine only plays FPM (Female Professional Masters) once or twice a year. "open FPO" is a redundancy. Elaine continues to primarily play FPO to this day against ladies half her age. Had Juliana kept playing and doing this her winning percentage would be much lower. For what it is worth I would probably still rank Juliana as number one based primarily on the fact that I consider cashing at USDGC the greatest accomplishment of any female player to date.

P McB is the greatest champion disc golf has seen. I don't think it's close. Not taking anything away from Climo and the other guys, but I think of their era as the "leatherheads" of disc golf. They were the best for their era, but it is a new era.

Sounds like some recency bias.

Watching the new Jomez 2018 best shots vid
I learned this a long time ago. I watched Scott Stokely play in his prime (late 90's) and was flat-out blown away. He was a walking, talking best shot video waiting to happen. I watched Ron Russell play, he was good. He won, and I saw him throw a couple of killer rollers. I was impressed, but several notches below blown away.

a top 5 or 10 list all time. Here is mine, whats yours?
Russell won World's, Stokely didn't, and I'm not qualified to rank disc golfers. :|

Latest posts