• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Pros Registering for NTs

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I haven't even looked at the list of pros, but how many of our top players that "should" be at the Memorial, didn't make it in because they weren't sitting at the computer at noon yesterday (either didn't have it on their calendar and forgot, or had something more important to do than sit at a computer in the middle of a saturday)?

Lizotte is bumming that he didn't make it, he shares Nikko's sentiment.

From Nikko via facebook:

Nikko Locastro

I have a question for my disc golf friends, fans and members of the Pdga. I'm concerned that some of the events in our National Tour PDGA series are filling up at unbelievable pace. This is a good thing for the sport of Disc Golf but challenging to make sure the best players in the world beat out packs of anxious players in the rat race to register. I have talked with several others about a solution even wrote the PDGA on multiple occations. My thoughts are opening a pre registration window of one week or one month for a list of qualified pros to register. This includes the top 72 players players in both world ranking and player rating. If players miss their spot in this open window of sign ups then their spot will be given away to the next in line ready to register at the next open registration. If our sport wants to showcase the best talents in our elite NT series then the best players should always have a chance to attend their job. Yesterday I had a set reminder on my I Phone for opening registration at the Memorial. As soon as this tournament opened I stopped everything I was doing at the time and filled out the registration online. Granite I was in a spot deep in the woods of Northern California my phone froze up a couple times and I had to restart registration. After I filled out everything that was needed I see my name on the waiting list for the Memorial. It's frustrating to see myself a past champion of this event waiting to get in. Other top players in the world are also on a waiting list to attend their job. Something needs to change and soon. A system needs to be set in place to make sure top (touring pros) have a chance to compete in the National Tour series. The window of sign ups need to be extended and structured in a way where it is not just an online race. Imagine if lets say Kobe Bryant was benched during his prime because someone else signed up to play in front of him in his 1st playoff game of the year. The comparison is not far off. Please tag other top pros and let me know if this makes sense ? I'm trying to be logical and serious about this topic.

Last edited:
We discussed this in the World's thread too. There should be a certain number of slots saved for the top pros. In any Major or NT.

BTW, Avery, Brinster, Ricky, Philo, and Nikko are all on the wait list for the Memorial. It shouldn't happen.

Also, just so there is some context, the Memorial filled 220 Pro spots in 2 hours. I believe that is the fastest it's ever filled.

Just make registration in phases by rating. Like the majors do.

Isn't that up to the TD to decide?

IMO, every tournament should send out invites before they open registration. For NTs, the Tour should send out invites.

#1 problem with the Memorial registration, IMO, is that it opened on a Saturday at noon. In this sport, the worst time for registration to open for any tournament, let alone one of the Memorial's size that is guaranteed to fill, is during the day on a weekend. Just because it's December doesn't mean players aren't out on the course on a Saturday afternoon. Forget reserving spots, that sort of thing is rather unfair to players of all skill levels.

Open registration a) during the evening and b) on a weekday. Sure, that might not work for people working second and third shift, but at least you're not opening registration during a time when many many MANY disc golfers are likely on a course somewhere.

Just make registration in phases by rating. Like the majors do.

Isn't that up to the TD to decide?

What majors do that?

It is up to the TD to decide. The only NT I've ever played had reserved spots for tour card holders. I thought that was a standard NT practice...apparently it's only that NT that does it?

I think the current system is lame. Top players should be able to get a spot should they want one.

Since that isn't the system currently in place, it is inexcusable to be on the course or in the woods, etc... when you know that you need to be on a reliable internet connection at a given time. There was ample notice and the players know the current system....

snooze you lose. piss poor planning = piss poor results

better luck next time.

Sounds like disc golf lacks the professional organization that more legit sports have to offer, who would have figured?

Sounds like disc golf lacks the professional organization that more legit sports have to offer, who would have figured?

Maybe the touring pros should unionize and run their own tour so they can ensure that they're coddled as much as they want to be.

How long in advance are they made aware of opening registration?

you would think they would invite the top pros first, to attract more of a spectating crowd and hype up the popularity of the event

to be honest us on here are the only ones who really care. 99% of the dg population barely know who nikko is. well maybe not cuz he is basically the happy gilmore of dg

For me, if they are made aware of registration date/time WELL in advance then they have no excuse, I'm sorry.

Latest posts