• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Failures/Meltdowns

jobwilson

Eagle Member
I played in the Charlie Vettiner Open in Louisville this weekend. It was 2 rounds of 27, first round Saturday afternoon, second round Sunday morning.

So I play the first round, shoot a 96, and am 3 throws off the lead in 2nd place. I didn't have one of those rounds where I felt like I was just getting lucky. I was playing at or below my potential. Needless to say, after the round I was thrilled about being in the position I was in.

And then Sunday happened. Maybe it was waking up early after sleeping in an unknown hotel bed. Maybe it was the sporadic rainfall and generally gross conditions. I'm not sure what happened, but it is nothing like I expected to ever happen.

I added 25 strokes to my score and wound up falling from 2nd place to a dismal 22nd place finish. I counted up 10 circles on my card, including 3 on one hole. Nothing worked for me. I was pushing my Forehands over and into the ground. I was griplocking my BH and sailing 350' out of bounds, nowhere near my destination. I was missing easy putts, and putting myself in horrible positions because of rollaways and sailors. By the end of the round, I was walking up to 10' putts like I was walking up to a 50'. My confidence was gone, my nerves were shot and I was ready to toss my bag into the Ohio River.

What has your biggest blowup & meltdown been like? Is there anyone who can relate to my horrible round?

Wow man, I feel your pain.
As far as advice, I don't really have any. Sounds like you were just having a BAD day.
I guess one thing I can say is to not let it keep you down. It's over, history...move on to the next tourney and practice, practice, practice...

Is there anyone who can relate to my horrible round?

Yup, I've been there before. I think anyone who has played a number of tournaments knows this feeling all too well. The key is to focus on the few things that did go well and don't dwell on the mistakes. Focus on the mental game and go into the next tournament mentally ready to play your best from start to finish.

I gave up 7 strokes on the last 4 holes of a tournament to lose by 2. The worst part was that I took a 4 on a super easy hole that I park 99% of the time but caught a tree off of the tee. I actually thought I had the win as I was easily crushing everyone else on the lead card, but the winner came from 3 strokes back on the 2nd card to beat me.

I almost did the same thing the next day in another tournament on the final four holes, but the 2nd card only made up 3 strokes on me after I built a lead of 7 strokes in the first round.

Hello that was my Sunday mini. It was a mix of alot of stuff gone wrong. 1st thing that threw me off was getting someone on your card that is annoying as all get out. Then my handle on my cart broke. My child had a meltdown on hole 16 (very rare for her). It was all and all a terrible round. Shook it off and went to play an evening round with a clear head.

I've had numerous difficulties finishing tournaments on a strong note or even respectfully. Louisville Classic this year I was in third place after the first round and finished the second round in 12th. Am Nats was a complete disaster including breaking my hand and having 35 putts in one round but during my last round I was on pace to shoot a great round, compared to my others, and in the last five holes went +8.

you can blame a few of those strokes on the rain that came pouring down if you happened to be out in the open when it came Sunday but to answer your question, yes, i have experienced the same thing on several occasions...

this happened to me two weeks ago... except my meltdown started after 3 holes.

Did the opposite... in a 90 person advanced field I shot +7 and was in 65+ place after 1/4 rounds. That score was 10 strokes above my average.

After the second round I was in 17th, third 6th, and finished in 6th. Showed me all is never lost... and just keep plugging away.

Playing in last year's Pumpkin Shootout, I shot a 66 from the short pads and was mid-pack after round 1. Second round, shot a 65 from the longs and tied for 4th.

Did the opposite... in a 90 person advanced field I shot +7 and was in 65+ place after 1/4 rounds. That score was 10 strokes above my average.

After the second round I was in 17th, third 6th, and finished in 6th. Showed me all is never lost... and just keep plugging away.

Last Saturday I about quit disc golf after a meltdown. I was in second place only 1 stroke behind the leader after the first round, maybe missed two putts i should have had. No big deal at all.....until the second round started. squeaked by the first two holes and got to the 3rd hole for a chip in birdie maybe 10 feet, stepped up for my putt and started shaking like i was about to get shot or something, and i completely missed my putt with no chains. The rest of the round i blew 11-13 putts within 10-20 feet range. I dropped from second place to seventh, ripped my putters out of my bag and they aren't getting the privilege of seeing the light of day for a long time.

A hard won, come from behind victory is thrilling, and a lost lead is devastating. I had the come from behind victory a couple of months ago, and I just sufferred a last hole loss in the final 9 of Nats after taking the lead with a hot last round. At least I know I provided a thrilling challenge for the winner, who would have walked away with an easy win otherwise.

I had a meltdown this past Saturday also.

First round after 2 holes I was 2 down and feeling pumped. Finished +4 and still in 1st place (Novice division) 1 stroke ahead of second.

Second round with nine holes to go I am 3 strokes ahead of second, and then it happened. Missed a Mando and my game feel apart.
Finished in second place, 3 strokes behind.

Played at the madisonville open this July. I was having my best round of the tournament, not playing my greatest but playing pretty good, and had just hit a big putt on hole 6 for a bird. With 2 holes to play you would think that I would have enough momentum to finish strong? Nope. Hole 7, threw into the water, took a 7. Hole 8, threw it into the water, took a 6. I essentially gave up 6 strokes there. I think I would have had the best third round in intermediate had I just taken par on the last two holes. Bummer

My Partner in crime is getting ready for a her 1st tourney next week wish her luck!!! :)

Few years ago during a tournament I had a 9 or 10 stroke lead going into the final round. Ended up blowing up the last round and won by 1. Of course everyone called me a bagger despite the fact that in Intermediate I shot 949, 919, 908, and 877... They just all sucked :/... At the time intermediate was 915 or less.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/12364/Open

2010 Stoney Hill Challenge....entered 4th round with a 4-stroke lead in Advanced Masters (8 person division)....first blow was when I took a 7 on Hole 12 while the rest of the lead group was gettings 2s....My "12" on Hole 16 pretty much sealed the deal....not only did everyone I could see pass me, but someone 8 strokes back on the next card passed me to win.

.......and, as TD, I got to announce all this at the awards ceremony.

This year, to prove it was no fluke, I shot a 976-rated first round (best of my life), lost the lead in the second round, used a 823-rated fourth round to vanish from the leaderboard altogether.

I played Soooooooo bad at CVO on Saturday, I packed up my crap and went home. I really wanted to finish, but I felt so bad about my play I honestly felt like I was slowing everyone else around me down. It wasn't just one or two holes either, it was more like 24 out of 27. I have never left a tournament early before and will never again, but I played so bad that I lost all desire to play.

Latest posts