• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trash Talk?

Next time some one trash talks you start finding rocks along the course and add them to his bag one at a time. Of course you want rocks that are not too big but will add weight. By the end of the round his bag should weigh twice as much as it did when the round started.

We do this on caving trips, hiking trips and any other place we can possibly get away with doing it. We call it simply "Rocking" another person. It's usually done while someone is going down a side passage or checking a lead, we aren't subtle either, we try to add a pound at a time.

I got trash talked one time, told the guy if he didn't stop I was going to break every bone in his throwing hand. Shut him up and he left. Still threw my game off, I hate promising violence to some prick who is used to doing it while playing other sports. It's like punishing a dog for something it has always been rewarded for in the past.

That being said, I've never felt the need to do it, even in good fun. Easier to compliment and be generally happy for someone than be that competitive that I'd have to stoop to that level.

If someone is trash talking it just means that their not confident enough to keep their mouth shut and just throw. If you dont think you can beat me, then talk all you want, itll make the victory all the more sweeter

my brother, who hardly golfs anymore, likes to make farting noises/duck quacks while I drive

There's a kid that plays at my course that does this all the time, as well as stuff like saying "brick" when you're putting. There's also another guy that gets off on being as obnoxious as possible. I was playing a HUGE scramble the other week with it being 3vs4vs4, me being on the 3 team and both of them being on either 4 team. After a few holes I realized they were going to be immature, so I put in my earbuds and listened to music every time I went to drive or putt.. Ended up tearing them apart pretty bad, so at the end I looked at my teammates with both of the A-holes standing nearby and said "man isn't it awesome beating people who try to annoy you the whole game?" They didn't say ****.

The next day one of the A-holes said something about how I'd gotten 'cocky' since I started and that I didn't 'appreciate' the help he gave me when I couldn't throw. I looked him dead in the eye and said "nah... I appreciated it until I realized you were a douche bag" then walked off and played a round with my friend.

I knew one guy who would always lie about his score when you saw him on the course during doubles or a monthly. Something like "Anyone on your card doing better than ten down?" was typical of him, even if he was shooting even. Sometimes he could be really good though, so you just never knew.

Alot of us played 1-5 club in Durham too, so if a drive was getting close to the basket sometimes a small coughing fit would break out. Hard to hear metal with everyone coughing. Not quite trash talk but still fun.

One last thing, a friend of mine once told me he spelled "Norm is an a--hole" in a fairway with rocks and Norm saw it a couple of days later while playing with someone else. That must have been funny.

Theres always going to be someone immature wherever youre doing whatever. Just ignore them and let them make themselves look stupid.

I trash talk my friends when we play, but only on casual rounds, and even then, only if I'm winning by more strokes than holes left. They do the same to me. It's like coaching. If some random dude on the course tried to talkin somethin to me while I was minding my own business, I'd put an end to it immediately with an ass kicking

never in a tourney or when i'm playing with people i don't know. it'd unsportsman-like in my opinion, but with friends....sometime. a drive gone amiss you'll here....."ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....b" if ob of course.

My friends and I trash talk eachother constantly but its always in good fun. We always congratulate eachother for good shots, and when it comes tourney time I really enjoy when the other members of my card are playing as close to lights out as they're capable of. My most enjoyed tournaments ever have been the ones where everyone on the card has eachother's back.

personally, if someone was giving me shiot on a card in a tourney...i wouldn't let them hear the end of it. i wouldn't, for a second, put up with it. it'd be embarrasing for them....it might get loud.

at my first tournament this old guy was trash talking me the whole time making jokes about me being bad so the last day i was in his group and i talked mad trash to him and got in his head and he shiit the bed big time i ended up beating him by 20 strokes that round. it was great

personally, if someone was giving me shiot on a card in a tourney...i wouldn't let them hear the end of it. i wouldn't, for a second, put up with it. it'd be embarrasing for them....it might get loud.

Then you both would be bothering others playing the tournament. At that point they won't care which one of you is right or wrong, they'll just want you both to shut up.

I usually play with the same guys!!!!! And it's a must!!!! One guy gets a little pissy!!!! Thats because he always try's to beat me!!!! That is his mistake!!!! He can't beat me!!!! But, it is what it is!!!! It's all about having fun!!!!!

I haven't heard any real trash talking, but I have been in a tournament where a young kid (maybe 8-10 yo) was standing behind 18s basket cursing at everyone on my card while we putted and threw sticks and pebbles at us. After he nearly hitting one guy in the eye while he putted, I got to my lie and I heard him rushing toward me through the leaves as I was about to putt. I stopped and turned around to see him smiling and walking backwards to where he started from. As I was about to putt again, I heard the rustling of leaves again, but he wasn't coming toward me, just moving the leaves around with his feet where he was at. All of us missed our first putt, mine was for birdie from about 12', the other 3 were all for par and were inside of 20'.

He didn't mess with another card after that; on our way to hole 1 we met the TD and he got him off the course. He had the course reserved for the tournament and no one else was supposed to be on it. I heard after the round that he got there right after the card in front of us finished the hole, so we were the only card he messed with.

Then you both would be bothering others playing the tournament. At that point they won't care which one of you is right or wrong, they'll just want you both to shut up.

ahh yes...one of the "comment and bail" guys. ic ic.

it'd be swift blow buddy. they'd shut up. trust me. i have respect for others around me when it comes to "disciplining" disrespectful idiots.

get you're mind off the "extreme" you took my comment to bud.

*and yes, i'm signing out :-D*

My usual playing partners and I don't compete. In fact, I'm the only one in the group thats keeps my score. So no trash talk, just the occasional joke after a bad throw.

ahh yes...one of the "comment and bail" guys. ic ic.

it'd be swift blow buddy. they'd shut up. trust me. i have respect for others around me when it comes to "disciplining" disrespectful idiots.

get you're mind off the "extreme" you took my comment to bud.

*and yes, i'm signing out :-D*

Maybe it was when you said it would get loud that threw me off.
Drink less coffee.

My usual playing partners and I don't compete. In fact, I'm the only one in the group thats keeps my score. So no trash talk, just the occasional joke after a bad throw.

^^This

When I do play with friends, I really don't care if we keep score or not. In fact I try not to keep score with one guy I play with, who insists we do.

The only time I've kept score in a group is at Friday evening league, and that's more for the ****s and grins. No real trash talking there, lots of backslapping and good times. No one likes an over-competitive, trash talking douche bag. If you trash talk to strangers, that would be you. At some point you are going to trash talk to someone bigger and meaner who enjoys hurting people.

My friends and I may give each other a hard time depending on how we are each playing that day, but never had a random player on the course stop and talk smack.

As usual Sloppy is a simple man. If you trash talk your friends and people you know well, it's all in good fun. If you are trash talking strangers on the course or in a tourney you are a loser. May the fleas of a thousand camles infest your arm pits!

Latest posts