• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trilogy Challenge

Here is my "lose us please" set of discs from the Challenge. I arrived early and was probably number 15 in line, but we got no choices, just given the 3 discs off the top of the box... unless you knew the TD.

And here is the course I played... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2702&mode=ci

Much time was spent spotting or searching for our drives, even our approach shots. These colors were awful for a heavily wooded course with deep undergrowth. I had a good time playing, not my best out there, but what can you expect with 3 new discs you have never tried before.
I felt like the driver, DD Thief(green), was kind of finicky off the tee. The right release would give you some turnover, but if you didn't have enough, it faded out way too soon. Some compared it to a Valkyrie, and I might agree, but it was hard to decide because of the weight being far heavier than I throw.
The Latitude 64 Claymore(brown/brass) was nice and straight. You could put it on the lines you wanted and watch them hold. The disc felt good in the hand and I liked the recycled plastic. This will go into my Trilogy bag, but probably after picking up another color at full release.
Westside's Shield(purple) was a good putter. I don't think it was anything to replace my personal putter, but it worked well holding a line. This putter was stable, I couldn't flip it without major anhyzer. I really don't think it had much glide either, I had many approaches that felt good out of the hand, but stalled out early and left me short.
Overall, I enjoyed my experience and would play again in the future. I can only hope we get some brighter colors in the coming years otherwise I won't be going to the tourney help at Horning's Hideout again. We had to pass through one card as they all lost their discs into tall grass of a pond. The sheen off the plastic saved us a couple of times. I once saw a cardmate stop at a spot in the grass and I was wondering why, thinking his driver was farther ahead. I looked over and was no more than 20 feet from him and could not make out his disc laying in the grass. Yikes these discs were going commando.

I'm thinking it's a giant conspiracy. Latitude 64 intentionally screwed up a bunch of discs of a certain color just so they would get regrinds that came out in earth and grass like tones. Then the discs would get lost, found by plastic sniffing dogs, turned back in to Latitude 64 so the process can be repeated of regrind and remaking them for next year's mold. Those evil crafty Swedes. :cool:

I'm thinking it's a giant conspiracy. Latitude 64 intentionally screwed up a bunch of discs of a certain color just so they would get regrinds that came out in earth and grass like tones. Then the discs would get lost, found by plastic sniffing dogs, turned back in to Latitude 64 so the process can be repeated of regrind and remaking them for next year's mold. Those evil crafty Swedes. :cool:

That was partly our theory as well. If we liked the discs and lost them, we would replace them with new ones... if we liked the discs we would also buy new ones to replace the awful color. Either way they win.

Played a trilogy challenge today in edmonton, alberta. Ended up getting fourth and won a Lucid witness. As far as challenge discs go the Claymore and the Shield will both be making my bag. I found the claymore super controllable and could throw it anhyzer, hyzer or straight. The shield off the tee and for up shots is what got me to a PB score. I could throw it hyzer as hard as I could and it would hold its line. I feel like it is a great compliment to my judge which for me is great for putting but a little harder to control off the tee or for up-shots. The thief will not make my bag. Just couldn't find a groove with it. Ended up only pulling it out twice on the last 18 holes.

Here is my "lose us please" set of discs from the Challenge. I arrived early and was probably number 15 in line, but we got no choices, just given the 3 discs off the top of the box... unless you knew the TD.

Oh boy....my son signed him and I up for the Trilogy at Oak Grove in Pasadena, Ca in 2 weeks and discs that color are gonna make things interesting. The shot over the dry lake is knee deep with weeds, finding those babies is gonna be next to impossible

Oh boy....my son signed him and I up for the Trilogy at Oak Grove in Pasadena, Ca in 2 weeks and discs that color are gonna make things interesting. The shot over the dry lake is knee deep with weeds, finding those babies is gonna be next to impossible

We had red ones and bright orange ones in Edmonton this weekend.

We had one card ahead of us that all lost discs in a semi-dry pond with tall grass. They spent over 10 minutes looking and let 2 or 3 cards play through them. I was so glad my approach got me over it all.

Looking at those discs i'm very glad the course i'm going to be playing at is relatively forgiving for finding errant shots. Of course now that i've said it, i'll find a way to park a nice green disc in some high weeds somewhere....

I'm signed up for one in West Bend, WI this weekend. Any rules on taking a few practice shots with each disc to learn them before you start?

Two small strips (1 front, 1 back) of bright flourescent tape in a color you think you can see...

I'm signed up for one in West Bend, WI this weekend. Any rules on taking a few practice shots with each disc to learn them before you start?

I guess that would be up to the TD but once you get your discs and the tournament hasn't started I don't see why you couldn't go practice. DD had to cancel their's this saturday so I got to step in and run it the following sunday on the 29th. It'll be flex start and once I give out a player pack I wouldn't have any issues with a person practicing on a basket that isn't being used before they start their round. You should probably ask though I'm not sure of the format for the one you are attending.

The spirit of the event is that people come and use the same discs and compete on an equal playing field. Nothing about preventing a warm up or getting familiar with the flight before you start. I'd say show up a little early, get your discs, then go to an area away from the course a little and throw them until you're comfortable.

Steeze, you're in the know...any lightweight discs being shipped out for the Trilogy Challenge? They are running a Juniors only TC here that my daughter is signed up for. A heavy mid and putter will be fine, but she prefers lighter drivers...

All the ones I saw were 170 and up. It's a fairly under stable disc so hopefully she will be able to get it to get some good S turns. I had a 175 and had to throw at about 75% to get it to hold a hyzer line. I don't know about a Junior challenge though they might have something planned for that.

Steeze, you're in the know...any lightweight discs being shipped out for the Trilogy Challenge? They are running a Juniors only TC here that my daughter is signed up for. A heavy mid and putter will be fine, but she prefers lighter drivers...

I haven't really asked anyone but it seems like finding anything under 170g is rare. I guess if it's juniors only though they'll all be dealing with the same weight limitations and none would be at an advantage they wouldn't already have. You might take her early and try to get her the lightest thief they have and then spend some time with her practicing with it before the round if you can. A little more height and flat or anny on the throw might negate a few extra grams from what she is used to throwing. It's not sanctioned either....I don't know how much you want to worry about it but in my opinion removing the flashing before she starts is perfectly acceptable. Anyone can do the same thing. Might straighten out the flight a little and it is flashing that's perfectly within PDGA guidelines anyway. ;)

Getting excited for tomorrow. My trilogy challenge is going off at Peter Pan and the DD RV and Mr. Rusco will be there with the music going. We've got gift certificates, extra soldier bag, and a lot of discs to give away beyond the winner's pack. Should be a lot of fun and hopefully not real muddy. I'm hoping the players turn out and help us raise some money for a course.

I played in one today. It was a ton of fun. I don't have a very strong arm, so both the Thief and Claymore were very user friendly. I had some awesome shots with both and really enjoyed it. I had a hard time adjusting to how stable the Shield was, but all in all, worth the $30. Great event and I hope that Dynamic Discs continues on with it.

Getting excited for tomorrow. My trilogy challenge is going off at Peter Pan and the DD RV and Mr. Rusco will be there with the music going. We've got gift certificates, extra soldier bag, and a lot of discs to give away beyond the winner's pack. Should be a lot of fun and hopefully not real muddy. I'm hoping the players turn out and help us raise some money for a course.

^^^ This sounds like one I'd love to be at!!

Just finished running our event yesterday and had a great time. Everyone seemed to love the Claymore. I found it to be a nice disc but not making the bag. As for the thief I could never really get the handle of it. It had equal chances of going straight as to continually rolling over and holding an anhyzer line to the ground.
I could not seem to get a handle on the shield for putting either. Great disc off the tee and for touch forehand approaches, but I seemed to be going from cage to yellow band and back every other hole. Was a nice reprieve to get my ridges back for some putting practice later that night.
All in all it was a fun day and an easy tournament to run. The discs were here a week early and I couldn't be happier with what dynamic has done. ( except maybe the fact that Poor house is a completely wooded course and we got black, purple, and green Thiefs.)

Played in my challenge yesterday. I got there early to hopefully get a decent color selection and had luck for 2/3. A nice pink Shield. A reddish/orange thief. And....a green claymore. With the pick of the lot a slightly bright green claymore was all I could snag. Still better than the dark green swirly (looked awesome) almost camo greens most people were stuck with.

As for the discs -

Thief: I threw this most of the time off the tee and it took a while for me to get into the groove of this, but once I did I was liking it. Not sure if it'll make the bag but it is close enough that I'll be giving it some more time to decide. I'd say the given numbers of 8/6/-1/2 were pretty accurate. Lots of newer players were having a hard time if they couldn't get it up to speed. Some big arms were bombing it on hyzer flips and pretty s curves. I wasn't a huge fan of the plastic. In the afternoon it was scorching and the plastic was very soft and grippy - and I loved it here. The problem was in the morning where it was picking up some dew. With any moisture at all on the disc it was fairly slick.

Claymore: This disc actually didn't get a ton of play from me but it was mostly because it is far from what I am used to throwing for a midrange and a little bit due to the course we played which didn't leave many longer approaches. I found myself preferring to toss the shield for approaches as it is more similar to discs I am familiar with. I am going to keep messing around with this one in fieldwork to see if I really like it or not. It is quite understable and I had to throw it on a hyzerflip to get it straight...but one I did notice is how very little fade this disc has. It just wants to ride your thrown line right into the ground. For the plastic - very similar to the thief. Very soft & grippy when hot....but this one was horrid when at all wet (worse than the thief). I had quite a few errant throws with this one when warming up with dew on the ground.

Shield: I love the plastic. Very grippy even when wet. I really wasn't a fan of putting with this disc as it has much more fade than I am used to (nova) so it won't be used for that purpose. I did like the feel in hand and had some really good approaches with it. I had been wanting another putter with some more fade as my Novas don't like to fade or hold a hyzer line....both of which the shield did very well. I have already added this to the bag for those approaches where I need to either hold a hyzer line or want more fade.

Just getting home from my trilogy challenge here in Emporia at the Peter Pan Park course. It was fairly warm and near 90-95% humidity all day. It rained some during my round in the morning and had rained a lot yesterday so plenty of mud. Despite all that we had a decent turnout for only having a week notice that I would be running this event and the weather. 36 packs sold and 35 players. Got to say thanks to Jeremy Rusco for letting me takeover as the TD for this event and letting us raise money for a new course. He loaded the RV with the player packs and brought them over to the course and we had the sound system going. It was just more than I could ask for.

Funny enough he covered for me in the morning while I played my round and then I took back over for the rest of the day and him and about 6 other DD employees went out to play their rounds. I don't think he's played in months. Maybe more. He shoots a -5 round of 50 and wins the advanced division lol. That's awesome. Of course he forfeited his right to the winner's pack and we got to send him off with his own winner canvas for the wall. Great event I can't wait to do one next year.

Here's our winner.

2qbuh75.jpg

Here's a photo Rusco took of my new best friend for today. This duck loved me. Must have been all that wheat bread. I couldn't get her to stop following me. She bit me on the leg then followed me to my truck to get a ride home.

ajwf7p.jpg

My disc of the day was actually the Shield. I hit a few beyond 40 feet but it's still too overstable and not enough glide to become my putter. Gotta stick with the judge. I'm just a lot more consistent and better with it. Love the Shield as an upshot putter though. I may keep them around for that.

I sucked with the claymore. I had griplocks and just not a lot of great shots with it. I do think it will be one of the better Lat64 mids but it's just not what I need. I'm all in with the Truth.

Disc that got the most praise was the Thief. Very true to the numbers I'd say but a few thought they were slightly more flippy. I did watch a few players bomb them and a friend of mine hit his personal distance best with it. About 485 unofficial. At least 475. Pretty good considering it's a speed 8 and until then it took a Sorcerer or Havoc for him to throw 475. Lot of star teebird comparisons. I'd say that's accurate but only if the star teebird had about a year of wear on it. I think it's more like a faster and more glide eagle myself.

Latest posts