• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to get my backhand form to 400ft and beyond

Yes, the DF videos are in slo motion.

I've been watching your "Drill" playlist videos on YouTube. This one was a little eye opening:

I think I may have been way too aggressive with trying to sit or fall. This guy makes it seem like a really small fall. When you fall or sit down, does it feel you are moving around your trail side (like around your back) towards the target? And the weight immediately goes into your front foot heel?

I think I have been trying to do this movement from my front (as in chest). Which is causing me to get closer to the "ball" and over-extend early. It kind of seems natural to "roll your butt" towards the target after doing the movement I described before.

Here's my video (in normal speed):

I know my side bend is inadequate, and I'm probably a little too far over my toes still. But I wanted to see what the "move around my back towards the target" looked like and get your thoughts.

The plant leg/hip alignment was trending better a bit after the start of the video.

In front of tee view, your head is waay too far out over your toes- inside swing drill. If you dropped off the frame to swing/throw your balance would stagger off toward the side of the tee.

I think you should try to keep your upper body more upright and preserve the side bend, but more Inside posture.

I think doing Inside Swing and DFD drills together in the same session is very valuable in general.

Yeah, head way too over toes. Note how my head is inline to front foot.

Also note when I drop into transition my rear side goes into side bend as the frontside gets pulled taut. So my trail elbow is almost going into my back pocket.
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 10.50.03 AM.png

I just saw this video about upper body rotation.

This applies to disc golf as well, right? It looks like I've been doing the incorrect example in the video where the player just rotates level to the ground. It looks like I don't get enough vertical separation with the shoulders. I know this has been mentioned recently in the thread, but whenever I tried to do it, I wasn't really understanding how to make the movement. And to try and get that movement, I ended up way over my toes.

Does making this vertical movement with the shoulders create side bend?

Haven't posted here in awhile. Just been watching a bunch of golf videos and working on rotating on a spiral like in the last video I linked.

Another feel question came up today, completely unrelated though. During your reachback, do y'all feel a stretch in your chest area? I was thinking it may actually be my oblique that I'm feeling. I noticed recently that I lose that stretch when I go into the swing. Should I be maintaining that feeling through the forward swing? It feels to be interconnected with letting my hips "lead the throw".

Watching this video, I've been doing the bad example at the start of the video. I have never felt what they are referring to with the baseball swing. Pushing his lead hip back and away, around his body. I'm wondering if "leading the throw" with my hips is creating the counterweight they are referring to.

I'll make a video showing this tomorrow, but wanted to see what y'all thought

Here's video of me doing the door frame drill again. I think I'm still a little too far over my toes?

I was focusing on trying to sit into my front side and rotate. I think I'm actually getting lower in my throw now. It feels jerky though

Yeah, too over toes, so your posture is not setup properly stacked inline with front foot/ankle. Note how I'm still in good posture to hold a heavy barbell on shoulders, I'm turning back centered and dropping targetward.

dundee dfd front copy.png

Yeah, too over toes, so your posture is not setup properly stacked inline with front foot/ankle. Note how I'm still in good posture to hold a heavy barbell on shoulders, I'm turning back centered and dropping targetward.

View attachment 331921

Here's another video. I think I'm less over my toes in this one.

I am a little confused though. I thought we want our lead shoulder to be lower than our rear shoulder in the backswing? You wouldn't be able to keep a barbell on your shoulders if you have uneven shoulders.

Does moving your butt targetward feel like your rear side is going behind you toward the target? That's what I felt in this video.

What about your lead knee position in this drill? Should it be like in the standstill video you have?

I am a little confused though. I thought we want our lead shoulder to be lower than our rear shoulder in the backswing? You wouldn't be able to keep a barbell on your shoulders if you have uneven shoulders.

Does moving your butt targetward feel like your rear side is going behind you toward the target? That's what I felt in this video.

What about your lead knee position in this drill? Should it be like in the standstill video you have?

Lead shoulder swings in a pendulum or tilted spiral up down back up to the top of backswing. By having you turn back level like with barbell I'm just taking the tilted spiral part out of this and trying to get you into a different posture/balance. This is a drill so try to not think too much, but you need to play around with different positions and feel how you can change/max your leverage efficiency.

Yes rear side going behind, but also down - which I think you are missing the down part as your trail shoulder stays high and your lead side is dropping instead.

Lead knee will bend toward toes and extend toward heel depending on where you are in the drill.

Lead shoulder swings in a pendulum or tilted spiral up down back up to the top of backswing. By having you turn back level like with barbell I'm just taking the tilted spiral part out of this and trying to get you into a different posture/balance. This is a drill so try to not think too much, but you need to play around with different positions and feel how you can change/max your leverage efficiency.

Yes rear side going behind, but also down - which I think you are missing the down part as your trail shoulder stays high and your lead side is dropping instead.

Lead knee will bend toward toes and extend toward heel depending on where you are in the drill.
I've been thinking about my form more in a different way after seeing this YouTube golf video:

The video overall wasn't that helpful for disc golf, but at 1:30 he talks about what your lead arm in a golf swing would do if you only had one hand on the club. This reminded me of how earlier on in this thread I could never find the hit point when doing the hammer swing drills.

I think this related to when I was first learning and stumbled across Overthrow on YouTube. I'm not sure if their video is still up, but they initially talked about getting the disc to your right pec (left pec for righties) for the power pocket. I'm not sure if I just misunderstood or what (probably did), but I think that was how I started having the hit point problem. The disc would get stuck at my right pec and I'd open my chest up the target to try and release the disc while rounding.

As you've mentioned a lot earlier in this thread, my throws looked like I was throwing max anhyzer shots, and I think that's because it was the only way my body knew to get the disc out with any sort of real distance. I never developed the hit point.

Do you think it'd be worth while working on that? I'm wondering if fixing that would affect my posture because than my body would realize I need to be set up differently for me to have that hit point.

If so, how do you develop the hit point? It feels so weird to try and get the disc out towards the target on my left pec , basically into the starting position of the Beato drill.