• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Unnecessary Innova discs?

Trent B

Par Member
I throw mostly innova. Not because I think they are better, but just to keep it simple.
My question is are there any discs to avoid in the innova line? Maybe they are just crap like the groove or there is a better option in the lineup.
What I currently own:
Champ Katana
Champ Boss
Champ Beast-x
Champ Ape
Gstar Destroyer
Star Wraith
Star X-Cal
Star Tee-Bird
Champ Roc3
Atlas
Star Foxbat

Interested to hear some opinions, thanks!

kinda off topic, but what is it about the groove that makes it such a laughingstock? I've never thrown one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I throw mostly innova. Not because I think they are better, but just to keep it simple.
My question is are there any discs to avoid in the innova line? Maybe they are just crap like the groove or there is a better option in the lineup.
Interested to hear some opinions, thanks!

The discs you listed are all fine. Some will be snarky about the Foxbat, but it's a nice disc as long as the wind is not blowing very much.

The Groove is definitely an atrocity. And the reason it's that is because of the groove in the rim. And the fact that it's exceptionally inconsistent from one disc to another.

The Monarch has a similar groove to the Groove, and is therefore an atrocity to be avoided, as well.

Some people hate the Wolf. They will viciously attack anyone who defends the Wolf. I've seen people throw the Wolf and throw it well and get good results with it, so I'm not hating it. But there are those that do hate it, and with a passion.

i'm not sure what other discs will generate controversy like the above-listed discs, but maybe this thread will draw those out. :popcorn:

I can't speak for every disc. I have heard some people have grooves that they love. I only had one and it was useless. Really inconsistent. The "groove" around the disc that gave it the name seems to serve no purpose other than to be different. Apparently no two grooves fly the same or even close.

The only Innova discs to be avoided are the Groove, Monarch, Wolf, and Dominator. The Groove is not a bad FH disc but after that anything non disc golf related is a good purpose for it. Monarch is trash bc it can't do what the Groove does. Wolf is extremely unpredictable and glideless. Dominator is glideless as well as being weird feeling in the hand. Other than those four nothing else is really that bad but I've heard the Lycan feels really wonky.

I can't speak for every disc. I have heard some people have grooves that they love. I only had one and it was useless. Really inconsistent. The "groove" around the disc that gave it the name seems to serve no purpose other than to be different. Apparently no two grooves fly the same or even close.

The "groove" in the groove made it possible to mold them in lighter weights. This was before blizzard plastic and such came out. Now, it's outdated, but it stills sells incredibly well to the newbie crowd, so there's no reason for innova to put it OOP

I play mostly wooded courses. I got the Foxbat for tight tunnels in the woods so the wind shouldn't be too much of a factor. Haven't got a chance to throw it yet.

I agree. I just wanted some opinions. I have heard people say the wraith is unnecessary because of the destroyer but I really like my wraith. I throw mostly RHFH.

Wraith is the little brother to the destroyer; I've thrown both, and actually prefer wraiths to destroyers... of course now I throw defenders but that's beside the point haha
Krait vs wraith is often times weird, but I've found the krait goes further than the wraith... I've had one of my longest throws ever with the Krait. I personally think the Vroc is heinous but I'm sure some throw the Vroc with great success and I respect their decision.
I've thrown grooves that bomb and grooves that are the most OS discs ever seen, wildly inconsistent disc to disc. Never thrown a monarch.

sooooo... wombat? its a foxbat with a huuuuge bead.

basically with innova people only care about roc's (almost all itinerations), aviar's, teebirds, firebirds, and destroyers. some look down on "you" (royal you) if you dont own them.

at least that is the feeling i got when around brand purists....or at least the snarky ones

I really want to give the destroyer a chance. I think getting in Gstar was a mistake. Only gstar disc I've ever had. Not a fan.

I've always thrown the blizzard destroyers for distance. My Star Shryke has taken that duty over lately.

I used to throw destroyers but recently switched to wraiths. Seems with slightly less speed I get the same distance but less effort and my arms actually lasts 2-4 rounds a weekend. I know plenty who disagree but you can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The discs you listed are all fine. Some will be snarky about the Foxbat, but it's a nice disc as long as the wind is not blowing very much.

The Groove is definitely an atrocity. And the reason it's that is because of the groove in the rim. And the fact that it's exceptionally inconsistent from one disc to another.

The Monarch has a similar groove to the Groove, and is therefore an atrocity to be avoided, as well.

Some people hate the Wolf. They will viciously attack anyone who defends the Wolf. I've seen people throw the Wolf and throw it well and get good results with it, so I'm not hating it. But there are those that do hate it, and with a passion.

i'm not sure what other discs will generate controversy like the above-listed discs, but maybe this thread will draw those out. :popcorn:

lol I actually really liked the Wolf when I started playing. I FH that disc very well on approach shots and it's a laser when powered down. Aside from the contour and feel it hand, it flies just like my retro claymore

The only Innova discs to be avoided are the Groove, Monarch, Wolf, and Dominator. The Groove is not a bad FH disc but after that anything non disc golf related is a good purpose for it. Monarch is trash bc it can't do what the Groove does. Wolf is extremely unpredictable and glideless. Dominator is glideless as well as being weird feeling in the hand. Other than those four nothing else is really that bad but I've heard the Lycan feels really wonky.

I felt exactly the same way. The Dominator is a glideless, distance-less clunker. I'm not huge on the Katana either. The very first Groove I ever threw was OK. Every one of them since has been massively overstable and glideless. I'd avoid that disc at all costs.

Unnecessary=/=superfluous. I think Innova does a decent job of making sure everybody has a disc for their arm-speed and hand-size.

Grooves are awesome but I think all the hate comes from people not ever throwing a good one or not having a good fit for that crazy-ass rim hand-wise. I recently held a proto star groove and thought it was funny how it felt like one of the worst I'd ever held.

Also, ILUVSMGS18, I disagree about the wolf assessment. A control disc for tricky mid-lines is always useful from fresh to beat as hell. Wolf isn't my cup of tea but I do like them. I know a guy with a powerful snap-heavy BH and the wolf is a frequent straigh-to-flip disc for him even though he tosses rocs for most shots.

The katana used to be my favorite driver but as my speed increased I have to have alot of room to throw it successfully. Preferably a downhill hole. It holds anhyzer forever and has to have alot of air time to come back. Crazy distance though. Definitely stays in my bag.