• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Uplink -Midrange (complete historical records of its awesomeness)

You are correct about it being the regular Neutron one. Still working with it at this point.
Hopefully you are correct that with a little more work both with it hitting trees and me just learning the disc better it will do what I expect it to do. Just seems weird how stable but also understable it can be. I have gotten some really great just straight line throws with it.

The Paradox is too touchy for me, but I love flippy discs as my back doesn't let me throw distance FH's.

Is this the answer?

Uplinks in vairious wieghts, plastics and wear continue to dominate the mids in my bag. They have pushed out other pretenders to the Neutral/Understable throne (most recently the Lobster tried to fight it's way back in).

I use them for dead straight approaches in the 180' - 200' range, for shorter approaches with low ceilings (ooh that glide!), for flip up downhills, for lacing gaps.

They are more dependable than my Paradoxes were, longer than my one remaining Theory and my long lost Alias.

The more OS mid shots are covered by the Hex for me (the Hex as always been more stable for me than the numbers suggest). And the crazy OS backhand, and mid FH are covered by the Entropy). I think these fill the slot that others use the Reactor or Matrix with?

My bag has really solidified, with an eye toward reducing the number of molds:

Putt/Approach, anything inside 150': Reko/Berg
Mids: Entropy / Hex / Uplinks
Fairway: Crave / Signal
Tee: Waves all day

Well I got more acquainted with my eclipse uplink the other night... little stable, probably the missing link between it and a beat hex, still not a theory. Went at it with a solid thump, told myself it wouldn't turn on flat. It mostly didn't.

The most interesting thing was the late gyro push, there was 3 times I thought crap I'm getting that tree and then the turn activated and I just squeezed by with the tightest s I ever saw. It wasn't a laser, it was heading for the tree but it dodged out just enough without really turning. Kind of a 75 percent flight correct, so in tune but a little earlier because it's shorter. Definitely the most stable uplink.

Testing will continue at dusk again after a cheeseburger.

I'm still playing around trying to figure out my Uplink. I'm mainly a forehand thrower, but my backhand has been improving. For tight lines, I really like my forehand as I can 'stare down' the shot. I've been working with the Uplink as a forehand disc that will turn left for me and give me the type of shot I would get with a backhand throw. The only issue is that I'm having issues finding that 'sweet spot' of putting the Uplink on just the right amount of hyzer, so it flips up and ends properly.

I'm still playing around trying to figure out my Uplink. I'm mainly a forehand thrower, but my backhand has been improving. For tight lines, I really like my forehand as I can 'stare down' the shot. I've been working with the Uplink as a forehand disc that will turn left for me and give me the type of shot I would get with a backhand throw. The only issue is that I'm having issues finding that 'sweet spot' of putting the Uplink on just the right amount of hyzer, so it flips up and ends properly.

Those kinds of shots are tricky in general, especially without the added spin of a backhand. Keep working it out, the uplink is a great disc for it, and we need more people throwing touch forehand.

Those kinds of shots are tricky in general, especially without the added spin of a backhand. Keep working it out, the uplink is a great disc for it, and we need more people throwing touch forehand.

My forehand is pretty much a 'go to' throw. I was taking a lesson and my instructor said "show me how you would do an upshot from this spot". I started lining up a forehand and switched to a backhand. After the throw, she asked "why did you switch to a backhand?". My reason was that there was trouble on the right, so a backhand would go over trouble and end up left in a clearing. With a forehand, it would fade towards trouble. So if I didn't park the basket, a forehand would leave me in trouble, a backhand wouldn't. She had me throw the forehand and I parked the basket. Both throws were equi-distance from the basket. She reminded me that with the backhand I had to throw AT trouble and plan to miss it. Lastly, she she I should always go with my first instinct and that would usually be my strength.

So unless there is a specific reason to not do so.....I now throw all my upshots forehand and I'm pretty accurate with it.

I keep trying (in the field) the Uplink forehand and backhand.....I think I just have to figure out the right amount of hyzer to release it on for the perfect (or close to it) flight.

Kind of along the lines of Bill's last post, I find myself trying to forehand any approach I can as well.

I like my beat up Proxies for this role, but can use a worn in Hex or beat Crave for longer fairways shots.

It's funny because I started out 100% backhand.

I can go through my old videos and see 0 forehand attempts.

Then eventually I start throwing some seriously awkward forehand approach shots and short drives using all upper body.

Then I watch my more recent videos and you'd think I started out FH dominant with how much I rely on it these days.

It all started out with a simple bit of advice - can't even remember where I heard it. "After you hole out, flick your putter to the next tee." I did that until I got comfortable using it for approach shots, then did that until I got comfortable enough to try it off the tee.

I'll never match my BH distance with FH I don't think, but it went from being a shot I didn't consider, to a strictly get out of trouble shot, to my most accurate form of throwing under 300'.

I feel like there's a lower margin of error on approach shots throwing forehand. Put me in a field with no obstacles or wind, 100-300' from the pin, and I'm flicking a Proxy or mid without second thought.

In fact I was gonna make a thread in general discussion asking that exact question. You're 100-300' from the basket in an open field with minimal wind - you throwing bh, fh, roller, or oh?

Lastly, she she I should always go with my first instinct and that would usually be my strength.

So unless there is a specific reason to not do so.....I now throw all my upshots forehand and I'm pretty accurate with it.

I keep trying (in the field) the Uplink forehand and backhand.....I think I just have to figure out the right amount of hyzer to release it on for the perfect (or close to it) flight.

The first part of this quote is very true. Often times when I'm playing solo and no groups are behind me, I'll pull out 2-4 discs to tee off with to compare. I always seem to do best with my first choice for what to throw.

Don't be afraid to throw stable to overstable discs on anhyzers to get a right to left flying forehand (or left to right backhands). Nothing against the Uplink, but I find throwing my Reactor, Pyro or Entropy on a slight anyhyzer approach can be a very predictable shot because I know it'll fight out of the turn to avoid rolling away.

Here's two that come to mind:

Entropy, 200' - https://youtube.com/watch?v=O6PuyAHbi6g&t=1m03s

Entropy, 250' - https://youtube.com/watch?v=NDnVE2dzTNg&t=0m21s

Keep working with the Uplink, but practice this sort of throw too if you haven't. Just another option to have in your toolbox, like a good flick roller or overhand approach to thread narrow gaps.

Keep working with the Uplink, but practice this sort of throw too if you haven't. Just another option to have in your toolbox, like a good flick roller or overhand approach to thread narrow gaps.

If you're FH dominant, this is excellent advice to add to your strengths. I slowly added flick rollers and thumbers to my game and they are both invaluable on occasion.

Go slow with thumbers if you haven't thrown them before, old dudes are more susceptible to shoulder injuries. Lighter discs work great.

Thumbers are a dumb idea unless you play baseball and/or are under 40 haha. It's hard on the body. Discerdoo is right, especially with going light.

If you are trying to fh an uplink, soft neutron is the best it fights the turn better. Well eclipse is the most stable but it doesn't have the glide, about 20-30 ft shorter. It fh's decent. I'm giving it some time to break in, summer is not glow season, it's gonna be awhile. I kind of enjoyed it the other night but it's a ******* version of the uplink, it's not quite right.

Probably try it again tonight, lot of long work days heading up for the long weekend, it's dusk and I'm just eating now.

Glow uplink and pizza hands, I'll probably hate it tomorrow �� haha. Maybe I will thumber it and see if I can wreck my shoulder before I run chainsaw tomorrow...

probably the only disc in my bag besides putters that if I lost I would immediately replace instead of trying something new in the slot. Immensely perfect for what it does.

Fully agree. I've dropped my mids to just the Hex and Uplink and feel I can cover almost anything with them with with release angle and slight power tweaks.

Go slow with thumbers if you haven't thrown them before, old dudes are more susceptible to shoulder injuries. Lighter discs work great.

I used to throw hammers and snap forehand rollers and other such things with abandon. I'm far too stiff and find many of them painful these days. Throwing after age 55 is a major change.

I used to throw hammers and snap forehand rollers and other such things with abandon. I'm far too stiff and find many of them painful these days. Throwing after age 55 is a major change.

I didn't start playing until I was 55, gonna be 62 in a couple months. My FH mechanics are pretty solid after playing or coaching baseball into my late 40s. I can throw FH all day but thumbers are a little harder on the shoulder.

My forehand is pretty much a 'go to' throw. I was taking a lesson and my instructor said "show me how you would do an upshot from this spot". I started lining up a forehand and switched to a backhand. After the throw, she asked "why did you switch to a backhand?". My reason was that there was trouble on the right, so a backhand would go over trouble and end up left in a clearing. With a forehand, it would fade towards trouble. So if I didn't park the basket, a forehand would leave me in trouble, a backhand wouldn't. She had me throw the forehand and I parked the basket. Both throws were equi-distance from the basket. She reminded me that with the backhand I had to throw AT trouble and plan to miss it. Lastly, she she I should always go with my first instinct and that would usually be my strength.

My path was quite similar. I am predominate FH from inside 225. I actually started FH but that didn't last long and I basically ditched it entrely for a long while as I really enjoyed throwing putters and my putter turnover was just as good as my driver FH ever was.

FH has the combo of a more minimal of a motion and facing your target so its just so easy to be confident in FH approaches. I even find myself tossing the glitch FH sometimes.

If you're FH dominant, this is excellent advice to add to your strengths. I slowly added flick rollers and thumbers to my game and they are both invaluable on occasion.

Oh no, no, no. I'm 63 and just thinking about throwing overhand hurts my shoulder. :D

Seriously, if the shot absolutely calls for it, I will attempt a soft, lobbing, overhand. I have even tried throwing an underhand shot into the air and over obstacles....for me, that is a throw that keeps my shoulder in good shape.

Latest posts