• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

So this is normal then, yeah? It's almost like the back support pushes down too low behind the feet on the bottom and cants the whole thing forward toward the cupholder side of the bag. If normal...cool. Just clarifying.

I should have read the previous pages.

This is exactly what my issue is. Only downside so far.

I should have read the previous pages.

This is exactly what my issue is. Only downside so far.

TBD I think, on whether this is actually a downside. Even with just 13 discs in the bag, it seems pretty stable to me. I would think even more so with a water bottle in there.
Not disagreeing with you, moreso just taking a wait and see approach here. It's my fiancé's bag anyway, so I guess it won't bother me!
Though I'm pretty impressed with it and could see getting one myself and relegating the Grip to tourney rounds, if I can get my damn shoulder fixed and play again.

it's a small downside to me. the bag is a bit unstable on uneven ground.

First rounds in with my Rebel. Some initial thoughts. I'll probably ramble. Keep in mind, this is my first real backpack bag. My previous two attempts were DIY ones that failed miserably. You guys will probably be able to point some things out that I'm doing wrong.

To me, the Rebel is a serious disc carrier, but will not be a bag for someone wanting to carry lots of other items. The side pockets do not really expand, so it you're looking to stow a jacket or extra clothes, you're going to have a tough time. Of course,one could use the dividers and simply carry fewer discs, but I did not buy this bag to carry fewer. Disc carrying? Fantastic. I decide to stack my most used discs in the verticals. This made getting and stowing discs much easier than my previous DIY bags. I even learned how to return my putter to the middle slot over my head/back. This is a bit touchy and I would feel like I was going to lose it, but no disc ever fell out.

Comfort, comfort, comfort. Man does the weight just disappear when both straps are engaged. Coming from a deluxe with 20 or so discs, this is really cool. Not sure anything could be more comfortable than this thing. OTOH, getting the bottle in and out while carrying was tough. I could not do it at all right handed. Finally figured out this was due to my seriously degenerated shoulder. Switched to left, and while I can do it, it is not really easy(I'm 48 yoa).

I don't really get the flap situation with most bags. I never use them, and never see anyone using them on other bags. So with the Rebel, you have a very large piece of material that either has to go in that tight lower pocket, or fold under the discs making the dividers unusable and raising the lower discs slightly. This should be totally removable IMHO, especially considering the supplied rain fly.

I love the mini area, but sure wish it was a true putter pocket. So, with that,

Pros:
Comfort
Disc carrying capacity
Disc lay out
Looks
Rain fly(I did not use it, but was impressed with it's use by my playing partner during the rain yesterday)
Small item storage like phones, pens, sharpies, cards ets
Double drink storage-I've only ever had a single before, and play in La.

Cons(These are pretty minor overall)

No true putter pocket
Side storage is pretty tight
Drink holders are tough to get at by old shoulders
Flap cannot be removed

^^ PMantle, I don't know that we could suggest much. I think your experiences with it mirrored my own (before I sold it.) As far as the drink holders go, I cannot get my water bottles out of my Grip with it on my back either. Maybe if I had two elbows, but as it is, I just drink when it's on the ground, or carry a water bottle to the next drop point and drink on the way. You learn to work around it. I used the top vertical storage part as a putter quiver, basically. Then I kept two utility discs below that, and 17 in the main. Worked pretty well.
To be honest, I think there are going to be little quibbles with any bag, but I was pretty impressed with my rebel v1. I wouldn't have sold it if I hadn't destroyed my shoulder.

what do you currently own?

I generally rock a Voodoo Juju and quads, but I have an Ergo 2 when I want a backpack. I dig it, but I would like something a little more flexible, if you will. And not just in how you can store the discs. I mean that the Ergo 2 generally feels kinda big and clunky.

As far as the drink holders go, I cannot get my water bottles out of my Grip with it on my back either. Maybe if I had two elbows, but as it is, I just drink when it's on the ground, or carry a water bottle to the next drop point and drink on the way.

You've only got one elbow??? :confused::confused::confused:

What's that?

Oh, you meant two on each arm?

Well then,

6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

not sure what you guys mean with the rebel v1. I bought Broken shoulder's bag and I like how the drink holders are a little tighter vs my other bags. Pmantle what do you mean no true putter pocket? there are 3 of them I thought? Guess I might be extra flexible or something but don't mind the drink holders at all and only complaint is how low the 3rd pocket sits which I hear was fixed in the newer runs. Don't care at all about rolling up the flap into that pocket as it is worthless anyways or just doing a half zip and discs still come out easily.

I would not call those putter pockets. I guess what I meant was, a dedicated putter pocket reachable while wearing the bag.

I wasn't referring to tightness.

guess I don't know what you mean with reachable while wearing the bag. Those putts are generally a joke.

Tightness in what?

So the verdict is stowing a hoodie in the side pockets is a no go? Damn that was the only thing I was worried about with buying a rebel was the size of those outter pockets. I think the disc storage sounds great i just want to be able to carry other stuff with me if need be

guess I don't know what you mean with reachable while wearing the bag. Those putts are generally a joke.

Tightness in what?

My hand simply can't get to the bottle and remove it. It's a flexibility issue explained in the review.

I don't understand your tightness comments or questions.

So the verdict is stowing a hoodie in the side pockets is a no go? Damn that was the only thing I was worried about with buying a rebel was the size of those outter pockets. I think the disc storage sounds great i just want to be able to carry other stuff with me if need be
Going to be tight.

I generally rock a Voodoo Juju and quads, but I have an Ergo 2 when I want a backpack. I dig it, but I would like something a little more flexible, if you will. And not just in how you can store the discs. I mean that the Ergo 2 generally feels kinda big and clunky.

I've never tried the Ergo but the shift is probably less clunky.

For me, it was between the shift and the grip mini (whatever it's called). Not sure which would have been better but the shift works. I like that it forces me to carry less crap.

I just got my new Shift in the mail last week - and I love it. I carry 8 drivers in the side pockets, three putters upper middle and three mid-range beneath them. It could hold more, but that's all I need and then some. There's a good bit of space below the middle disc portion of the bag, I toss wallet, towels, shirts, food - extra liquids - etc in there without issue. I haven't even used the pockets on the waistline yet. I absolutely love the space for the mini at the top of the bag - and I keep my phone in it. Perfect fit. The discs are all easy to get to. The bag is much more steady than I thought it would be. The best part - comfort! The padding is insane and the bag tilts away from your shoulders when you wear it. I've only played three rounds with it so far, but it's fantastic. I don't play tournaments - quit doing that a long time ago - I just play for fun, and this bag is light and designed well. Great bag. Wes Long

Latest posts