• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Versatile Fairway Pairings

I've seen a few people in this thread talking about the Trident which is now OOP. For those that don't know about it definitely try out the Opto Spark by L64. I swear it's pretty dang close to the same exact disc. They fly and feel the very close to one another.

Just looked at the Discmania Essence and Instinct; looks like a Leopard-Teebird pairing. Anyone bag these two together?

I've seen a few people in this thread talking about the Trident which is now OOP. For those that don't know about it definitely try out the Opto Spark by L64. I swear it's pretty dang close to the same exact disc. They fly and feel the very close to one another.

Sparks are excellent. Not quite as OS as Tridents, but they're pretty similar. Really good discs but they're just as hard to find as Tridents now.

They're on the edge of Fairways/Distance but Valkyrie/ Thunderbird is a good pairing for me.

I'm very much enjoying the Pipeline/Raptor combo that I've been using lately. Easily covers a nice wide range of stability spectrum. Right now I'm using a max weight 1R Z Raptor, a 171 Uli Raptor, a new 175 SP Pipeline, and a worn in 175 SP Pipeline. I feel like I can easily cover any line I need with these 4, and I'm finding it to be easier to throw and work lines with than my previous undertaker/predator combo. I've been re-developing my hyzer flip game so the pipeline has become my versatile go-to fairway driver.

FDs and Sparks. I carry two FDs, one beat s-line and one semi fresh c-line. I carry a bunch of Sparks, both gold and opto. The Spark goes from really overstable to slightly overstable depending on plastic blend and run. Love that mold

Been trying the OLS/OLF lately, seem to pair up nicely

I picked up some OLF's in millennium plastic, and have some QJLS's getting delivered today. Going to pair these with my various DX Eagles and I'm thinking all my driver slots will be covered. I don't have the arm for anything much more than an OLF.

I picked up some OLF's in millennium plastic, and have some QJLS's getting delivered today. Going to pair these with my various DX Eagles and I'm thinking all my driver slots will be covered. I don't have the arm for anything much more than an OLF.

OLF + JLS is a favorite of mine as well, classic.

I've had success with Eagle-X paired with TL, EL, Leopard, River, beat DX EX and even a Z XL. I've kind of stuck with Leos b/c they're everywhere and tend to be more understable out of the box compared to others. The EL works pretty well and if CE ELs were growing on trees I'd be set.

Still Eagles. Champ EX and beat up Star EX. The Seer took my Leo spot as a utility flippy disc.

Bringing this one back for my latest fairway pairing love affair. These two are legitimately the only drivers in need in my bag. PLS is like a leopard on steroids, and the OLF is like an eagle on steroids.

Attachments

• 8E6D85E7-C0BF-47C6-A9C1-8192E5EFDBBA.jpg
    8E6D85E7-C0BF-47C6-A9C1-8192E5EFDBBA.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 48
If Essence / FB or Essence / Draco is an option...dude. That is versatile AF.

I like the peeps that are like "Eagle, beat Eagle" bc ... truth.

And ^ those Millenium discs look super sexy.

I bookend my true fairways with faster ones with more extreme stabilities. Color Glow Roadrunner, Night Strike 2 FD, c-line FD2, metal flake scepter. I also throw a s-line PD but use it more as a distance driver

I think the Discmania FD and FD2 is probably one of the best FW combos out there! The feel of both discs is very similar, they're the same speed, and they can cover a TON of shots between the two of them in different weights/plastics.

The FD in a light or mid weight in S-Line would be your super glidey turnover FW. A color glow, S-line or C-Line in mid to max weight would be your long glidey dead straight FW.

Then a mid weight FD2 in either S-line or Color glow for your stable to slightly O/S FW. Then a max weight C-line or Color Glow for your O/S FW.

The FD2 (depending on your power) is more of a hyzer disc. It either goes straight for a bit, then starts gently sweeping left about 2/3 of the way through it's flight. Or, if you absolutely crush and throw 450-500+ on avg, it will fly more like the Instinct. With that straight flight with a solid hook up left at the end. I don't have that type of skill/power yet, so for me (I throw around 320-340 on avg drives) it is my stable to O/S FW. If I have a shot I CAN'T afford to go right with, yet don't want a ton of fade either, I reach for my FD2. It has a little less glide then most FWs, so it has more control. You have to THOW it to get there. It's not going to glide there. It's almost impossible for me to turn it over, yet, it doesn't have a huge fade or hyzer either. But, if you want to throw it on a push hyzer where it fades the whole way, you can easily do that as well. I've even seen a buddy of mine throw his hard on a slight anny and get it to go right a little, then gently come out and fade left near the end. If I throw it well and flat, it goes about 2/3's of the flight dead straight, then starts a gentle sweeping hyzer at the end. And can get some good skip if thrown low. And it's hands down the best FH disc ever! Eagle used to use them for almost all FH shots! Still uses them sometimes and holed out at the Idlewood with it on a SICK anny FH shot either last year or this year!

Both discs feel almost the same to me, and can cover most FW shots as a pair, and both are the same speed. They are also both super versatile. You can FH or BH both with amazing results and get a LOT of different lines out them.

I'd also add that the new Instinct is also a KILLER FW disc that is right in between those two and is somewhat similar in feel, and the same speed. The FD and FD2 have a more flat or semi rounded wing shape, while the Instinct has that more scalloped out shape. But it's not a huge scallop. And the rim width and overall disc shape feels along the lines of the FD/FD2. Not the same, but not a whole lot different. And it is an incredible FW disc! It's a point and shoot bomber. It has really good stability against hard rips, and then hooks up left at the last second with a forward penetrating fade. If you throw around 300-400', it's dead straight for 90% of it's flight then with a 10-20' forward pushing fade right at the end. It's such a cool flight path! And if you throw 450-500+ on avg, you might get a small turn right or you could hyzer flip it up to straight and it just GOES! But once again, it always comes back at the end. So reliable! It's turned into one of my favorite most reliable FW discs I've ever owned. I throw it all the time now. It's taken over as my favorite FW from my beloved FD's. And sneaky long as well. Id say it's more like a glide 5.5

And if you wanted to book end both, you'd go with either the FD3 or a FireBird for the super O/S FW disc slot. With the FD, FD2/or Instinct and FD3/FB, in different weights and plastics, you'd be able to cover EVERY shot for a FW disc.

But... the only problem with my suggestion is that Discmania is no longer making the FD or FD2 for the time being. You'd have to wait till probably next summer or longer to be able to get both.

But if you can find any of those discs, or get them next year (if they make them) that's my suggestion for the best pairing of FW discs that feel pretty similar, have the same speed and complement each other VERY well! Haven't found anything else yet that's as good as those two! Good luck

Nothing exotic here but the fairways mentioned by the OP (Leopard, Teebird) cover a lot:

- seasoned Champion Teebird: flat to straight/slight turn with fade for distance
- fresh Champion Teebird max weight: hyzers, flat/tiny anny to dead straight; wind
- very seasoned Pro Leopard: hyzer flip to big turn distance; magic right hand turn shots; rollers
- seasoned Pro Leopard: hyzer flip to dead straight and no fade; flat for turn
- seasoned Star Leopard 3: flat for S-shapes; hyzer flip to straight with slow gentle fade