• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Vulcan topped AJ Destroyers?

Any mold can make domey or flat discs. Climo has a super domey 168 Champ Vulcan that he showed me this weekend.

Also, that pic shows very little as that angle makes it tough to tell anything about those two discs. A cleaner side profile would help rather than taking the photo from above.

I've had a couple of destroyers with that same top. The big way I can tell the difference is the very edge of the wing on "traditional" destroyers slopes down significantly. The "new" destroyers have a fairly flat angle at the end.

However, the first one of these I had pre-dated the release of the vulcan by several months.

Got it off the shelf at final 9 sports. Marshall street has never had any of the sort Hoey?

haven't heard of anything like that no... not that Innova has us on speedial or anything... I remain skeptical, but hey anything's possible. I'm gonna check what we got here...

Proof as to why when people describe Discraft, they use words like "consistent and reliable".

And when people describe Innova they use words like "SPEED 13!!!!"

For the record, I like and use both. :cool:

Proof as to why when people describe Discraft, they use words like "consistent and reliable".

And when people describe Innova they use words like "SPEED 13!!!!"

For the record, I like and use both. :cool:

Germans.

I can now absolutely confirm that something fishy is going on. Almost all our Star Destroyer stock in Clearwater has that new weird top! There are bottom stamped and echo stars with that top as well all the Avery ones. I found a few older Destroyers for comparison and I'm 99% sure the top is different. I'm not sure it's the Vulcan top, I think it looks more like the Katana. The shape of the two tops is fundamentally different, not something one could attribute to molding inconsistencies.

Discspeed, you don't think it could be the plastic blend they're using cooling funny?

These threads pop up every now and then, and usually it's just the plastic blend. Remember when everyone thought Innova had switched Rancho Rocs to the Roc+ for awhile because the rims were slightly tilted on the newer DX Rocs? It was the plastic and the fact that they had a bigger dome than normal. Typical Internet paranoia if you ask me...

:popcorn:

these have a noticeable edge like the vulcan i have seen two echo's like this now

Me and ocdiscgolf saw the proto "Destrulcan" on xmas eve at LAMI

He can vouch...we were joking around that all those innova insider guys were loading up bowls and dreaming up wacky mold configurations...because they CAN.

I sent this to ocdg that night
destrulcan.jpg

Never dreamed it'd be topical for anyone but us tho...

Last edited:
Yeah my pictures skills suck but its no internet paranoia there is a different top. I've seen them in echo and A.J. stamps.

Yep I saw it... champ material I seem to remember. We were thinking up marketable hybrids the entire round.... I still want an r pro Katanarchangel. That's an archangel top, katana wing with the monarch groove in it. Oh yea and it floats.

Someone get on the ask Dave d thread on PDGA

Good luck with that...I have never gotten an official acknowledgement on "experiments"

Like the Valk +. I asked them about that, they pretty much said:

No such animal but if there is a variance: Accidental molding incidink, cooling rate, hanta virus, dog ate our homework, indian attack, LOCUSTS...IT'S NOT OUR FAULLLLLLLT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TuLBa-rgBk

Last edited:
I would love for someone to explain away that monster-ass vulcan bevel as a "cooling rate" or "molding" defect.

Discspeed, you don't think it could be the plastic blend they're using cooling funny?

These threads pop up every now and then, and usually it's just the plastic blend. Remember when everyone thought Innova had switched Rancho Rocs to the Roc+ for awhile because the rims were slightly tilted on the newer DX Rocs? It was the plastic and the fact that they had a bigger dome than normal. Typical Internet paranoia if you ask me...

:popcorn:

I agree that 90% of the threads like this that pop up are easily dismissed as molding inconsistencies, but like I said in my post above it really looks like a completely different top. Plastic blends are irrelevant as I observed this phenomenon in several plastic varieties of Destroyers.

Before I added fuel to any of this madness I looked at a lot of discs comparing tops. I compare tops by first looking at the top of the nose, comparing midway up the shoulder, and finally comparing the top of the shoulder. I compare the overall proportions as well. Molding inconsistencies take common shapes...When a disc cools quickly in pulls in at and flattens the top, it pulls the nose and PL up, and elongates the wing, sometimes flattening the bevel a bit. Discs that cool slowly have low noses, domey tops, etc. They can look A LOT different than quickly cooled discs, but it always follows a pattern like the ones I just described.

These new Destroyers fail all of those tests as the top is fundamentally different on all points. At this point I trust my eyes as much as I trust Dave D. because often he does not know what's happened at the factory or doesn't want to tell what's really going on as he is the marketing face of Innova on DG discussion. He's a good guy, a disc genius, and a source of much knowledge, but he IS Innova, so when it comes to sort of negative stuff like this I'm pretty sure we rarely get the full story.

Last edited:
i dont know if its negative i like destrulcan its really stable and can handle some serious wind

Latest posts