• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Sword

If you're throwing distance drivers 320' I'd guess a DD will be a meathook. I don't have any experience with Swords but a fresh C-DD is real beefy for me at 375-400-ish

Hey everyone so I have a comparison/recommendation question regarding the sword!

First off, I'm a noodle arm! I can throw my fairway drivers (Tern, Seer, Hatchet, stuff like that) about 280, maybe a little over. My distance drivers (blizz Boss, champ Tern, Crank SS, etc.) 300 - 320 or a bit more on a good day. So I was looking into getting a driver that is pretty reliable and not to understable since my blizzard Boss is pretty well beat in since it was a hand me down, but its still not truly understable by any means, although i can get it to keep right if I snap the hell out of it and there's any kind of a descent breeze. I'm looking for something that's not a meat hook that I can shoot fairly straight with not a lot of turn and a descent fade, this let me to think about a 169g VIP Sword, or a DD Hysteria. I know westside/lat numbers tend to be more understable than advertised, so I was thinking the VIP plastic will make up for that. from what I gather these two discs are rated the same except +1 speed for the sword, but I am guessing that the DD hysteria is a lot truer to the numbers. But that westside glide is nothing to scoff at!! Since I'm not exactly a power arm I was thinking a VIP sword would be a good fit for this slot in my bag because the distance potential seems to be much higher with just +1 speed between these two discs. my 168 12x champ tern is a great disc, but the thinner rim isn't quite as comfortable for me to drive with as some slightly wider stuff. I dont have big hands, just like being able to get a good grip! Thoughts?! :D

The DD in general is a much more stable disc. In P-Line it might work for you if you beat it in. A VIP Sword might work better if you want premium.

The DD in general is a much more stable disc. In P-Line it might work for you if you beat it in. A VIP Sword might work better if you want premium.

i dont much care about the plastic pother than the fact of how long itll take to beat in. My champ tern is a bit flippy for me if i release it flat, im looking for something i can throw flat and have it go fairly straight with minimal fade to the right, so if the DD is a meathook for someone with more power for me, it wounds like a VIP sword would be more into what im looking for, and beat into a slight high speed turn? I got my meathook spot filled with an FD3 I won from noodle arm disc golf! its a great disc! much more reliable than my TP stag which i love but has a bit of high speed turn surprisingly. I just love the way the stag feels in hand. Its beating into a mini boss haha

I have small hands and Swords are extremely comfy for me to grip. A VIP Sword will probably fill this for you at first but as it breaks in it might flip more than you'd like depending on your power/penchant for OAT. I've had 160s VIP Swords that were surprisingly stable when new, thanks to the flashing. It's a finesse more than a grunt disc but they're easy to keep straight IME. They're not as all over the map as Kings are for example.

I agree with what people have been saying and think it would do the job well at your power levels. However, if you do try it and decide you want to get just a notch more stability with a similar feel, I'd give a Trespass a try.

Just tried the Moonshine Sword, a 173 g with a pop top. It's significantly more OS than my 173 sparkle VIP was initially. For reference, I throw my VIP approx 360 on a good day. The Moonshine made it ~260 before a significant amount of fade kicked in, which gave it more lateral movement rather than the forward fade of my VIP and TP equivalents.

Anyone else tried the Moonshine?

No but you've got me intrigued. I love the Sword but wish they were just a bit more HSS. I need to revisit these again since I've changed my form.

Best way to find a flippy sword? I have warmed up to my domey TP and would not mind having an US complement.

Alternatively, is there a mold that feels and flies like one?

Best way to find a flippy sword? I have warmed up to my domey TP and would not mind having an US complement.

Alternatively, is there a mold that feels and flies like one?

Not 100% sure but I believe any of the flat runs are more understable. The only sword I ever owned was flat and extremely understable.

Time for a necro bump as I just love the Sword and it isn't getting nearly enough love.

I carry three that, at my 400' power, range from very flippy to nice hyzer flip bomber. After throwing a bunch I feel pretty confident in sayin that VIP vs TP doesn't have any impact on the stability and it's more related to how domey the disc is. More dome = more OS in Swords.

In general, I just love the feel with the slightly deeper rim than Trespass and some other 1,1cm Trilogy drivers.

I haven't tried the VIP-X, which I hear is way more OS and would absolutely want to try one. Currently I'm trying to fit the Grace into the more OS / straight slot with Raider and Rive handling the beefier side. Finding a more OS Sword would solve this issue right away, but haven't found one yet.

Sword-Wraith: I keep going back and forth. Sword is my preferred choice, but they are much harder to come by in the weights I like, <165. Air Sword is in my personal DG HOF as best rubber-armed driver ever.

I haven't tried the VIP-X, which I hear is way more OS and would absolutely want to try one. Currently I'm trying to fit the Grace into the more OS / straight slot with Raider and Rive handling the beefier side. Finding a more OS Sword would solve this issue right away, but haven't found one yet.
Ok, I just couldn't resist. I went on and ordered two VIP-Xs from across the pond and got now two rounds of testing on one of them.

I have to say that flight-wise it was everything I had hoped for. It is certainly more OS than any other Sword I've tried, but it still has really mellow fade and tons of glide. It was almost comical throwing it on a baby anny only to see it keep the line and just flatten out before the ground. Normally a 12 speed that doesn't flip at all, has way more bite at the end.

I'm not the biggest fan of the plastic or the shape though. Those "nipple domed" discs just bother me a bit and the plastic is super slick. I'm hoping the texture will change with some wear and tear.

All in all, the flight was just so great that this will stay in the bag and time will tell if the grip and shape become issues or if I get used to them.

We were celebrating joint birthdays for my father and brother today. Got my brother 4 discs, including a VIP Sword (171g, slight dome). There is a field for a local school right outside my parents' back door so we took the Sword and a Mint Discs Longhorn (also for my brother) outside for some testing.

First, I think my brother likes it (RHBH) so far. As for me, I gave it some throws and I know for RHBH, it isn't quite for me. However, I am still in the middle of training to throw RHFH in my older age so I gave it some throws. I love this thing! I messed up my release at times and ended up getting some pretty far-reaching rollers- still don't think I can replicate it. BUT, when I released correctly- this thing goes and goes. I just love how it comes back to a flat finish! Neat disc.

Gives me hope for my own higher speed discs which I really don't try forehand that often: G-star Mamba, Freetail, Hatchet, Falk, etc.

Going to give this thread another bump. I just lost my beloved beat-in domey 168g VIP Sword. With a full power hyzer it flipped up to flat and held a nice turn for about 280-300 feet before it faded. If thrown straight it turned the full flight with minimal fade back.

What's a good Innova replacement for it? I was thinking maybe a Tern or a G Star Wraith? My 169 Star Wraith is still in the moderately overstable category with full power hyzer flip shots.

Going to give this thread another bump. I just lost my beloved beat-in domey 168g VIP Sword. With a full power hyzer it flipped up to flat and held a nice turn for about 280-300 feet before it faded. If thrown straight it turned the full flight with minimal fade back.

What's a good Innova replacement for it? I was thinking maybe a Tern or a G Star Wraith? My 169 Star Wraith is still in the moderately overstable category with full power hyzer flip shots.

Tern or Daedalus would probably work, as would a Corvette.

For something a hair more stable than those, Charger.

Wraith all day, every day. Get you some F2 Wraiths in a variety of plastics and weights. Champs in the 150s are very similar to a 160 Sword, and the rim width is pretty similar, not so wide as a Tern, Corvette, etc.

Swords are pretty easy to come by again, so you could always just go 1 for 1 replacement.

Wraith all day, every day. Get you some F2 Wraiths in a variety of plastics and weights. Champs in the 150s are very similar to a 160 Sword, and the rim width is pretty similar, not so wide as a Tern, Corvette, etc.

Swords are pretty easy to come by again, so you could always just go 1 for 1 replacement.
Never thrown a Wraith, but everyone says it's basically same as Grace which I do bag. For me the Grace is more OS than the Sword, with the VIP-X as the only exception.

If red really wants to go Innova, my vote would be Tern or maybe Shryke.

Latest posts