• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are some unique "nice little touches" to add to a course?

Practice basket is good. Practice basketS is awesome.

Pracrice basket near trees/rough/slopes is great.

Quail Ridge's practice basket actually has a tee; so you can warm up with drives/approaches.

So, I guess the ideal situation is a practice basket near trees/rough/slopes for putting, and a practice basket for approaches/drives. That would be top notch.

At Foundation Park in Centralia, IL there is a practice basket and a driving range right by the parking lot. The practice basket has concrete markers spiraling out at 5' intervals from 10'-60' with bushes in between each marker. The driving range has it's own separate tee pad and is marked at 50' intervals starting at 100' going out to 550' if I recall correctly. There's also large bushes at each marker so you have a good idea of how far you drove.

How about a driving range and skills park area? A local park is considering adding this.

Playing courses out east with significant elevation I saw many teepad and basket areas terraced by using timbers and filling in with dirt or woodchips. Tyler Park is the best example of this that I saw. So, terraces are currently my favorite "nice little touch".

Also, on a blind basket, instead of yelling "CLEAR!!" when finishing out the hole, they have a bell hanging from a tree that you ring on your way to the next teepad letting the group behind you know that you are clear without yelling or leaving them guessing.

What a great idea! :thmbup:

My favorite feature is the bar at BRP.

Worlds at Lemon Lake had them. While caddying, I swept off some tees. They were cheap metal-handled brooms and I cut my had pretty good on a broken one. Would have been tragic to my event had I been playing.

Brooms only work on private courses. LaVallee in Maine had brooms at every tee on all 3 courses from what I remember, and none were broken. A local public course got brooms at a tournament last year and it took maybe a week for the majority of them to be broken in half or tossed into trees or ravines.

If the course is playing through any wooded area then tree branches or logs lining the paths to the next hole. the shredded wood chips on the paths is good also but if they are lined with either would be satisfactory. plus it helps newbies navigate the course without fear of getting lost trying to find the next tee.

Windage flags on the basket.

On holes with mutiple pin locations for 1 basket, a map at the tee pad that indicates hole location with an inserted pin or by moving a tag.

Pvc poker sticks next to trees and bushes that have a good chance of snagging your disc.

Lost and found drop box.

Signs indicating direction to next pad.

To improve on the "brooms for tees" idea, at Flyboy all the brooms were either hung from the tee signs or a nearby tree. This way they weren't dropped and left in the dirt between uses.

A few ideas I have thought of over the years include those bolf shoes cleaners/scrubbers at disc golf tees so you've got clean soles/pads before you drive, and a bell on greens that are blind from the tee to notify when the cost is clear (like at the Hobson Grove bolf course adjacent to the disc golf couse), a picture showing and listing poisonous plants/animals on a given course for the traveling player that may not be aware of his surroundings.

Other things that score big points in my book include wood chipped or graveled tee areas and greens, directional signs, erosion control measures anywhere on the course, and especially maintenance for said erosion control measures.

Also, on a blind basket, instead of yelling "CLEAR!!" when finishing out the hole, they have a bell hanging from a tree that you ring on your way to the next teepad letting the group behind you know that you are clear without yelling or leaving them guessing.

This is a great idea!!

Not as good as tee brooms or the "clear" bell, but at Stoney Hill next to the pond we have a rake with a 10' handle....and a giant rake built with wire shelving and a 15' handle plus tether rope.

^Excellent touches, I love seeing retrieval devices near water hazards. BlueGill in MI has a 10' grabber by one of the ponds.

A public course in Atlanta has brooms on every pad. They cut the handles short, which among other things reduces their desirability for potential thieves. They also have a small length of PVC pipe attached to each teesign for holding the broom between uses. I don't know if they have major issues with theft, but every time I go there every hole has it's broom. Very nice touch.

Latest posts