• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What courses would you play in Charlotte, NC

tournament is open to anyone. I used to live there (and was quite involved), so I know that much. But I'm sorry I can't make the 13 hour drive to join you at 8am.

How do seasons affect courses in NC? Are they uglier in the wintertime/unplayable? Scenery is important for me, especially on courses I haven't played. If anyone has some advice on courses around this area and the best/worst/whenever season to play them, let me know. If it's only slightly better or worse depending on the season, I'd like to know that too. Thanks!!!

I love Fall in NC. From now until around Turkey Day is good. You get some leaves at some courses, but we have about as many pines as anything else so most courses aren't too bad.

But the temperature and humidity is down so it is very comfortable. Shorts and tee shirt warm usually, but no scorching heat. A little cooler up in the mountains, and a little more fallen leaves to deal with, but still playable. Plus it's drier now than Spring usually is. No mud and swamp land to deal with.

It's good for our scores too, when those iron leaves fall down and you're not an x-step away from heat stroke all day.

Mid March through mid May are best. Grass/weeds are short, leaves are packed/decomposed keeping lost submarined discs and weather is very nice. Leaves come down in the winter - fall in November and are back almost full by mid April (except in the mountains where they are just coming out mid April). With foliage is MUCH more scenic than without.

We played Reedy this morning, and loved it great course. Then we played Sugaw, that one was pretty good, enjoyed it. Took a lunch break then went to Robert L. Smith, we looked at the first holes and decided maybe another time. Played Hornets Nest, the course itself was ok, but the surroundings where not for us. Cars where parked on the 3rd teebox. Couldn't get out of thwat park fast enough. We decided to stay another day and play Kilborne and a couple more. Hopefully Reedy one more time.

You should try the good courses. Renny (because it is the best in town). Elon long for challenge and short for fun. Scrapyard. Nevin if you throw straight.

How do seasons affect courses in NC? Are they uglier in the wintertime/unplayable? Scenery is important for me, especially on courses I haven't played. If anyone has some advice on courses around this area and the best/worst/whenever season to play them, let me know. If it's only slightly better or worse depending on the season, I'd like to know that too. Thanks!!!

Except for the NC mountains, which do not include Charlotte, the courses are very playable in winter. Not as beautiful as spring & fall, but still nice; on the wooded courses you can see further into the woods, on the open courses the grass is still half-green. Typical highs in the low 50s, some of course colder but occasional warmer too. Snow's pretty rare.

Unless you're unlucky and arrive during a cold rain spell; several days of 40 degrees and rain. 40 degrees isn't too bad and rain isn't too bad, but when they team up it's pretty miserable.

Latest posts