• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What did Steady Ed have in his bag when he played?

Just like the title says. What did Steady Ed have in his bag when he played a round?
Take a look at the list of PDGA Approved discs for DGA. Any disc approved before he passed away in 2002 he likely had in his bag. He was particularly fond of the Blowflies and the #numbered discs where he was trying to promote players carrying a bag of numbered discs with different flight lines like numbered clubs in golf. In a way, Prodigy, and to some extent, Discmania, have expanded on his numbered disc naming convention.

The Blowfly would have been toward the end of his life, but he really liked the Blowfly.

Ed wasn't much of a competition guy, though. Ed was a game guy. Disc golf was recreation to him. Ed wanted all the holes to be easy to birdie, because birdies were fun and fun was the point. His bag would have been based more on what he had fun throwing as opposed to building a bag for low scores.

Didn't Ed come up with the IFA? Did he also come up with all of the qualification rules (criteria) for the different levels, or did one of the other early "Masters" come up with that?

backtothefuture-bttf-bttf3-martymcfly-marty-mcfly-michaeljfox-frisbee-p.jpg

Didn't Ed have a mini bong in his bag?
No. If you see pictures of Ed as a smiling older guy with a beard and get some hippy-dippy vibe about who he was, you are getting the wrong vibe.

Ed was a businessman. Ed was a former corporate V.P. Ed was a promoter, his specialty was marketing. Ed had a company (DGA) with a product to sell (Mach III's). Ed was always very professional in his approach to disc golf.

People may want the "father of disc golf" to have been some hippy-dippy old guy with a bong in his bag, but that's not who Ed Headrick was.

I talked to Ed on the phone one time. There was no email back then. He was very curious as to why people in my area were ordering extra sets of chains like I was doing, what were we doing with them? He insisted on knowing and did not at all come across as the "dippie hippie". He had a rep of being a bit of a hard as*. That's not hippie at all.