• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What flies most like a Predator?

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
I throw a lot of FHs and bag a XXX and PD. Looking for something between the two. I have always liked the flight of the predator but not the feel for FH. What disc flies closest to the Predator? Overstable but stays straighter longer and still has a hard fade? I am throwing the Doombird now, which has this flight pattern, but doesn't seem to glide like a predator.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

the PD is a good call, also the fusion Felon IMO.

Flat top ESP Avengers are pretty meat hooky. DGA Tsunami is also a retooled clone.

I knew they killed my Avenger but I didn't know they killed the Tsunami. I also didn't realize the tooling order. Thanks for the correction.

I throw a lot of FHs and bag a XXX and PD. Looking for something between the two. I have always liked the flight of the predator but not the feel for FH. What disc flies closest to the Predator? Overstable but stays straighter longer and still has a hard fade? I am throwing the Doombird now, which has this flight pattern, but doesn't seem to glide like a predator.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

A beefy Thunderbird isn't hard to find & they do fly a lot like Predators but feel way better. I have both the Thunderbird & FD3 in my bag because they are both OS but the glide is way different. FD3's (like you say) keep low.

uh, did anyone mention Discraft VULTURE? It's a beadles Predator - and just compare PLH in store for most overstable, I've found the Big Z is pretty OS - Titanium and ESP aren't as OS (unless its the GLO ESP AUSTIN TURNER ones - I guess those are more OS)

So later run Z's or Big Z (First run Z is flippy)

maybe punisher or machete. haven't thrown the machete, but the punisher is OS(longer tho). predator flys a lot like a firebird IMO.

The responses in this thread make me wonder how many people have actually thrown a predator. PDs, felons, and thunderbirds do not have the high speed stability of a predator. A tsunami is the old predator, which is less overstable than the new version of that mold. (Especially if you find a nice flat top predator.)

Why not just try a firebird? That seems to be what you're describing. Or, a swirl ESP or big Z vulture, but that's closer to a PD also.

Last edited:
The responses in this thread make me wonder how many people have actually thrown a predator. PDs, felons, and thunderbirds do not have the high speed stability of a predator. A tsunami is the old predator, which is less overstable than the new version of that mold. (Especially if you find a nice flat top predator.)

Why not just try a firebird? That seems to be what you're describing. Or, a swirl ESP or big Z vulture, but that's closer to a PD also.

I was gonna say the same. Pred and Thundy aren't anything similar to me. Pred/Firebird has always been my comparison. Not a perfect comparison, but better than Pred/Thundy

A beefy Thunderbird isn't hard to find & they do fly a lot like Predators but feel way better. I have both the Thunderbird & FD3 in my bag because they are both OS but the glide is way different. FD3's (like you say) keep low.

Koling '18 thunderbirds.

maybe punisher or machete. haven't thrown the machete, but the punisher is OS(longer tho). predator flys a lot like a firebird IMO.

I have a couple Machete's they are SUPER OS and low glide - more like a faster FAF Firebird. It's sweet, but not what OP is asking for ---- no worries I know you haven't thrown one but I wanted to make it clear - this is not the disc you're looking for - haha its sweet tho, SUPER FLAT feels nice in FH or BH grip, gets a solid skip, never turns over.

Last edited:
For a less popular option, try a Fortress - I don't have the power to really put it through its paces in terms of HSS, but it's like a trilogy PD, seemingly a little nastier if you will.